Tapeheads Forums

Go Back   Tapeheads Forums > Tape, Taping and Tape Machines > Reel To Reel

Reel To Reel All discussions pertaining to reel to reel decks including general usage, recording, playback, servicing tips and blank tape.

Universal Capstan Motor

Old 07-13-2010, 06:39 AM
New To Tapeheads

Smile TEAC A-7010

I have a TEAC A-7010 and I have a problem with the pinch roller. The roller moves fine but whe I go to play or record it won't engage, it does disengage when I push stop. Does anyone know what the problem could be, is there an actuator controling this pinch roller?

Thank you
gdmunk

Old 07-13-2010, 07:44 AM
Skywave Tape Deck Repair

There is a Solenoid I am sure. But what is feeding that is likely relays that could have stuck contacts or even a microswitch at this point. You have to go through the troubleshooting and find where the problem is. Relatively few of these models (A7000-A6000) came into Teac when I was there although I have worked on them I am not an expert who has worked on hundreds of them. I am in the Midwest- Chicago area should you wish me to look at it.

Sam Palermo, BSEE, past Broadcast Engineer
Skywave Tape Deck Repair- Chicago area
(630)616-0932 Office/ 708-334-2260 Cell, E mail:skywavebe@sbcglobal.net
Past Teac/Tascam Lead Service Technician at Chicago Factory Service still doing repairs.
http://www.thumbtack.com/il/bensenvi...tascam-repairs
Need Tape? http://www.splicit.com/index.html, The BEST SM are from Stereomanuals.com!
Old 07-15-2010, 06:27 AM
New To Tapeheads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywavebe View Post
There is a Solenoid I am sure. But what is feeding that is likely relays that could have stuck contacts or even a microswitch at this point. You have to go through the troubleshooting and find where the problem is. Relatively few of these models (A7000-A6000) came into Teac when I was there although I have worked on them I am not an expert who has worked on hundreds of them. I am in the Midwest- Chicago area should you wish me to look at it.
Thank you for getting back tome. I don.t think I will be looking you up any time soon, I live in NJ but thank you for the offer. I was going to open up the unit to do some cleaning and lubing anyway so I will see what I find and let you know.

gdmunk
Old 07-16-2010, 12:03 AM
Dr. PC

a Question for you,

with the power off does the pressure roller move freely or do you have to apply force to get the roller to move?

I recently serviced a Otari machine that had a similar problem that turned out to just need a bit of lube on the mechanism of interest.
Old 07-16-2010, 08:37 AM
Skywave Tape Deck Repair

Hi gdmunk,
I encourage people to fix their own equipment if they have the ability and time.
The Pinch Roller Linkage should move freely and that is one of the major reasons mechanisms do not work is hardened or dried up grease in the Pinch Roller linkage. Typically, if this symptom of a stiff linkage does exist, there is nothing wrong electrically but that you need to take it apart to some degree, clean the old grease off and then apply some Lubriplate or similar grease. This will work fine as long as you do not damage anything in getting the old linkage a part.
If you want the machine worked on in your area and have it returned to specs performance wise, you still have a very good Teac trained Technician in your area at New Jersey Factory Service- his name is Russ Bachmann.
NEW JERSEY FACTORY SERVICE, Inc.
35 B WHITNEY ROAD
MAHWAH, NEW JERSEY 07430
(201) 847.0080 201 847.0040 FAX
njfsdigital@erols.com

Sam Palermo, BSEE, past Broadcast Engineer
Skywave Tape Deck Repair- Chicago area
(630)616-0932 Office/ 708-334-2260 Cell, E mail:skywavebe@sbcglobal.net
Past Teac/Tascam Lead Service Technician at Chicago Factory Service still doing repairs.
http://www.thumbtack.com/il/bensenvi...tascam-repairs
Need Tape? http://www.splicit.com/index.html, The BEST SM are from Stereomanuals.com!
Old 07-16-2010, 01:48 PM
Tube Guy - WA3EJT

Hi Gdmunk,

Take Sam's suggestion and try looking at it yourself. Don't be terrified of having to remove the front cover. Do be careful. I looked at your profile and I see that your age is close to mine. I've repaired/refurbished a number of Teac decks; not as many as Sam though. He is a great asset to this group. Not many are as willing to dispense helpful knowledge and advice as Sam is.

If you want to give it a try, as you proceed, take pictures with your camera. I'm assuming you have a digital camera. I usually do that whenever I first work on a new piece of equipment. I'm also assuming you have the appropriate tools and are inclined to use them.

I live in Wilmington, DE. I also do repairs for people. Right now, I have 4 machines that need extensive work. However, I make this offer to you and anyone else:

Like Sam, I have enough work on my own. If you would like to pay me a visit and bring your machine, I'll give you a hand fixing it. There's NO CHARGE for my time. That's assuming the problem is something fairly simple like frozen solenoids or dried up grease.

If the necessary repair proves to be rather complicated or extensive, I'll do it at my regular rate, but I won't charge you for the time leading up to OUR discovery. If you put the machine back together after I make the repair, I won't charge you for that time either.

My reason for the offer is several fold. Like Sam, I'd like to see more people capable of enjoying working on their machines as they do need increasing amounts of TLC; much of it mechanical.
I'd also like to see more people acquiring and using them

I, also, like sharing the knowledge I have with others. My knowledge is mainly Teac/Tascam. But, I've been known to dive into almost anything - especially with a service manual.

If I can help anyone with my limited knowledge - let me know.

Regards to all....

Aerwyk
Old 07-16-2010, 02:48 PM
ponderin perpetual motion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerwyk View Post
...If I can help anyone with my limited knowledge - let me know.

Regards to all....

Aerwyk
good to know. thanks for being there.

and welcome to TH!
Old 07-17-2010, 12:10 AM
Dr. PC

Before you lift a screwdriver, do yourself a favor and find your self a owners manual, service manual and a set of schematics. ebat should have them, Teac might, and you might also find a free download sites. I can think of a few but don't have the links readily available.

Read and study the manuals a couple of times just to get a ideal of what you'll find under the covers.

Initially, after you get inside the complexity of the mechanicals and electronics may seem a bit daunting, but go slow, with caution, don't be afraid to ask questions, or google for answers. Pictures are good.

make sure the power is disconnected. use the right tools.
The deck may need a bath of sorts, we can discuss what to use later on.
For starters a bottle of 99% isopropyl alcohol, q-tips, and cotton balls will take care of maybe 75%, Compressed air works for dust and non grime types of soil.

If the switches are dirty or volume controls noisy, you'll need a can of specially formulated contact cleaner.

You'll eventually need some maintenance supplies, you already have alcohol and q tips for the heads and guides, might want to get a bottle of presure roller cleaner (don't use alcohol), a roll of splicing tape, leader, splicing block, demagnetizing tool. But one thing at a time.

Remember, the idea is to learn and have fun in the process.
Old 07-17-2010, 12:50 AM
Learn about the B's and the C's

If we don't have thos manuals by now, hifiengine probably does but I think WE DO...don't we?

Njord, I think we need to develop a newer directory or maybe work a search index in at some point?
Old 07-17-2010, 11:37 PM
Dr. PC

I'm all for a new directory structure. Brand name followed by equipment type, r2r, cassette, dat, 8 track, or amp, receiver, tuner, speakers etc. Assuming the directory is expanded into other equipment types...

Any one in need of a web developer?