Tapeheads Forums

Go Back   Tapeheads Forums > General Audio Discussions > Specialties by Manufacturer

Specialties by Manufacturer Individual forums grouped by component manufacturer. For in-depth and brand-specific subjects.

Universal Capstan Motor

Old 06-15-2010, 05:16 PM
Banned

How did you get your decks and what order

Back in 90 I had the urge of recording once again and bought a DR-2A made in Japan new from Sound Advice at a discount. Wow this deck sound it nice and looked nice as well. I blame my father for getting me hooked again with cassettes. My dad wanted to give up cassettes so he gave me his Dragon to sell, I listen and the rest is history. The Dragon last price was 2600.00 or so. Find me a New Dragon in the box seal and I will pay the 2600.00 no questions ask. So I will tell my story in short how my decks came about. Funny when I bought my 1st Dragon from ES Labs I was told overhaul and better then new, so I jump on it. In the 3 days that took for me to get it I said shit I paid too much, what have I done. Well when I got it looked like new and functions awesome and the claim is better than new is real and then I was in heaven like walking back in time to the local HiFi and getting a new one off the shelf. The same with the ZX-9 looks new and works like new kept in a time capsule. The CR-7A I bought from eBay when the price of a CR-7A was less then 500.00 with box and manual. Well my CR-7A looked new and worked but I wasn’t satisfy with the sound, I wanted someone to work on it to make it new again and there it was ES Labs and I never regret it. The last acquisition for overhaul was a 1989 Dragon that the seller claimed it looked like new and worked like new, when I got it was a different story. I got partial refund and end up Paying 400.00. I send it to ES Labs for an overhaul got a used but like new face plate, the top cover was also replace, and there it is a second beauty that cost me more than the first one and never regret it. So the urge to get parts I purchased a CR-5A on eBay that looks like new and works well. Then lastly a 682ZX that I also bought on eBay and looks and works nice. The chronicle order of my decks was the DR-2-CR-7A-Zx-9-Dragon-Dragon-CR-5A-682ZX. I sold the DR-2 3 years ago.
Now tell yours,
Angel
Old 06-15-2010, 08:53 PM
Burning Tape

Brother bought a used Tandberg 64x and I wanted tape so I got a Uher 7000D new in the early 70s.

I wanted a Tandberg/Revox RTR for years and while working in a store selling Tandbergs, I bought a TCD-330 which made a noise going into record so I swapped it for a 10X which I still have.

I needed to add cassette to my gear and bought a Luxman K-12, one fantastic cassette deck. A luxman K-112 was added to take some load off the K-12.

Since then I have added a few decks,
Denon DR-M2 came with a Yamaha receiver,
Kenwood KX-W6060 came from a friend and I gave it to my nephew,
Nak CR-1A came with a stack of gear and I sold it to the guy that gave me the Kenny,
Onkyo TA-W200 was also in the stack of gear with the Nak, some CD changes a 32" TV and such for 20 bucks.
CT-F750 showed up with an SG-9800
Pioneer RT-909 was added to the collection recently since it was in great shape, worked needing only rubber replacement.
Neighbor moving away gave me a Technics RS-205M and I replaced another neighbor's broken Pioneer with this unit
And I have not to recently ago picked up a second TCD-330 that needs a bit of TLC.

I think that is it, but I am still looking.
Old 06-15-2010, 09:10 PM
Cassetticus Maximus

My first deck, although unique, was short lived when it got traded "up" to a Sony TC-K65. That date was 1980. I loved that deck. And it served me well until 1996, when I got divorced and left it behind. I replaced it with a Denon DRM-540. Good, stout lil' deck, but not the equal of the Sony. A passage thru time takes us to circa 2003 when I spy a mint Aiwa AD-R40 at a garage sale. $1. It was mine, and went to work with me to play tunes while I cranked volumes of paper. My love, thus rekindled, put me on the search. I can't tell you how many and in what order they came, went, were loved and lost, but the floodgates of tape-deck-gathering was upon me like the fever. Eventually I inclined my behavior (warped as it may be) into collecting the whole Sony range of 1980. Still, the replacement TC-K65 eluded me. Members here helped, offers came and went. eBay highs were followed by sniper lows. Along the way came two TC-K71's, a -K75, three -K61's, a -K44..... and finally, the grail! A mint TC-K65 fell in my hands like a hot muffin. It was mine to love all over again. And of course, that only satiated the thrill. The silver Sony collection lives, but some black-era Sony's soon followed. The fever runs it course. But like malaria, once you have it, it may subside, but it never goes away.

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory ...... lasts forever....

Last edited by Scorpion8; 06-16-2010 at 11:49 AM.
Old 06-16-2010, 06:01 AM
Lesx55

Hi Angel,

My history started with budget decks,

1980-Randix/Audiologic-,way better than expected.
1882-Pioneer-very unreliable.
1983-Aiwa-my first deck with Dolby B/C.
1987-Denon DRM24hx-my first 3 head deck

Current decks are-

1986-Nakamichi CR4-my best deck
1995-Kenwood KX-9050S-my fist Dolby S deck.
2010-Sony TCK80-beautiful vintage.
2010-Sony TCK88b-beautiful vintage.

Les
Old 06-16-2010, 08:16 AM
audiophool deluxe

I've had so many that I can't remember what order and how I got them all.

My first ever was a Sears Silvertone Model 70 wire recorder my Dad gave me in the early 60's. I still have it.
Next would be an Eicor 115 reel to reel also from my Dad. Still have it.
Then also from my Dad got a Tandberg Model 5 1/4 track stereo tube r2r. It had built in stereo playback but had mono record built in and an out board mono record amp for stereo recording.
At some point around '65 or '66 got a Sears cassette stereo tape transport only that was meant to go into Sears first console to have a cassette deck. I used it with a Knight KP-70 tube reel to reel r/p electronics section. Transport was made by Nakamichi.
Then a Panasonic stereo cassette deck forget the model but was junk even though it was new.
Then an Ampex Micro 80. Made a nice pink noise generator.
Around then got a Concertone 801 tube/solid state hybrid r2r. 6 head auto reverse, play/record both directions. Still have it.
Then got a NEW Magnecord 1022. Was $595 list but got it for around $380 through a friend of my Dad's. A friend of mine has it now and still uses it to tape his band practice. I used it in college to make promo tapes for bands there.
Then bought a KLH Model 40 new First consumer deck of any kind with built in Dolby-B, even before cassettes had it.
Then bought a new Advent 200 and later a new Advent 201. Had them both until very recently.
I was working at Musicraft in Chicago at this time and got first dibs on all the cool trade ins and took home dozens of decks including several various Crown machines people traded in for cassette decks (!?!). Had them all still until yesterday when someone from here bought 2 of my oldest ones. Still have 8 of them though....
Also bought a brand new Sony TC-880-2 while working there. List was $2495 and paid around $1600. Still kicking myself for selling it back in '94.
Then bought a new Nak ZX-7 and owned it until 2 years ago. Also bought a new Revox B710 when it came out and later a B215. Still have them both. Also later bought 3 used Eumig 1000u machines.

There are lots and lots more just to many for me to try and remember right now.

Dave
Old 06-16-2010, 09:16 AM
Proud Jaguar Owner

Here's my main deck list, as I can remember....
Cassette:

Sony TC-K670: father bought when I was a toddler, used it until it died when I was 12.

Technics Double cassette, no rec level control. Free from a friend

Sony cheapo double cassette, new, from Best Buy, $20.

Technics double cassette, with rec level. $20@goodwill.

Sharp RT-10. Forgot where from.

Technics RSM224, $20/GW

Tons of others....here's the significant ones (that I actually use)

Akai GX912: free from my school's trash pile

Tascam 122b: free from a local sound company.

Nakamichi MR-2: free from my middle school

Reel to reel decks:
Panasonic RS-790US: cost of shipping, one channel out.
Teac A-3340S: $150, local high school
Teac A-6010: free, broken, now fixed
Tascam 34b: free from a friend that got it off the side of the road
Teac X-3: free, from same friend
Teac 3300-2t: free, partially working from my high school
Teac 3340S: free, almost new heads
Teac A-6010: free, broken, used parts to fix the first one, which is almost mint.

Then I have 4 broke sony decks that'll hit the trash soon...and have a couple more interesting decks on the way.

Technics SL-1200mk2, Ortofon OM20, Hyper-modded Audio Research SP3, Poseidon'd Dynaco MkIII's (or a Yamaha PC-5002M), Klipsch Chorus II's
The Deck Collection: Ampex AG-440B (x2), Ampex AG-351, MCI JH-110C, Teac A-3340S, Tascam 34B, 48, 122B, DA-38, 3M 1/2" 4tk M64, Technics RS-1500, Tandberg 62x, Teac 3300S, Otari MX-5050, and more!
Old 06-16-2010, 10:24 AM
ponderin perpetual motion

here's as many as i can remember right now
(the year shown is the year i purchased the unit, not necessarily the year it was manufactured)-

'68 craig mono 5" r2r, new
'69 rca mono 5" r2r, new
'72 concord portable stereo cassette deck-built in amp & spkrs, new
'73 kenwood kx-700 cass. deck, new
'73 sony tc 277-4 quad r2r, new
'76 nakamichi 600, new, still have
'78 akai gx-630d-ss quad 10" r2r, new, still have
'82 telefunken 7" r2r, tube electronics, used, wish i'd kept it.
'82 akai 7" r2r model ?, used
'83 rat shack el cheapo stereo cassette player, used for learning cover tunes to play in bands i was in.
'84 teac model #?, new, gave the POS away.
'94 teac model #?, used, real nice deck; iirc, a 3 header; i know now that i should have kept it. gave it away. (?)
'04 sony tc-fx510r cassette deck, used, still have
'06 denon dr-m10hx cassette deck, used $4.00, still have

i also still have the following decks-

6/08 above akai gx-630d-ss had been in storage since 1990 (18 years!!), pulled it out of storage, it had a bent capstan and being direct drive, we replaced the capstan motor/integral capstan, did a bit of internal cleaning, and it was good to go!

11/08 akai gx230d 7" r2r, used
12/08 nakamichi mr-1, used
1/09 akai gx-630d-ss #2, used
2/09 nak mr-1 #2, used
3/09 nak mr-1 #3, used
4/09 akai gx-630d-ss #3, used
5 09 nak mr-1 #4, used
5/09 teac a-6300 r2r, used
7/09 nak bx-300, used
8/09 3 tascam 122 mkIIIs, used
10/09 3 tascam 122 mkIIs, used

these decks and the ones above that i still have, are all in working condition with the exception of 2 of the tascam 122 mkIIs, one of which is in the shop for repairs right now.
edit-oh, and nak mr-1 #4 still needs the meters fixed.

only other decks i'd really like to own are-

studer 2 track, not sure which model
akai gx-400d-ss
Old 06-16-2010, 01:33 PM
Banned

What History, memory lane seems to have a great part of us how we enjoy all we have and had. How can I forget, back in 84 or so my very first deck was a Onkyo Silver maby 2056, was a 2 head with a nice little display that was in green, I sold to a friend that still has it. And back in 85 I bought a Phase Linear 7000 that after using for 6 months I gave it to my dad for the time his Dragon was getting a new mechanism at Nakamichi. Sadly it broke in 3 month and was put away in the garage until last year and got sold. So there was a strech of crucial 6-7 years, why so, well important years of the cassette tape industry. Funny I also bought a Teac X2000R that was great but was short live after buying a Studer A810 2 years ago, I blame Matt for the purchase of reel to reel and all that comes with it, don't regret.
Tell more and who else,
Angel
Old 06-16-2010, 03:43 PM
Highly Biased

My first deck, and stereo was the Sony TC-230 reel to reel. It had a couple of watts of power, two removable speakers, and a phono input. I bought it in 1968 with paper route money. My grown up friend David Jones, a freelance NYC recording engineer, mostly folk for Elektra, got a "discount" in NY and mailed it to me in Ohio. Back then everything was fair trade. IIRC it was $180.
Old 06-19-2010, 05:07 PM
Serious Tapehead

this is a nice thread. i'll have to read all of these stories.

growing up i just had to deal with the decks my parents had. which were all garbage. a crown dual well with one motor for both wells...

then i had my jvc shelf system which was a step up, it did have auto tape select and it had dolby b. i liked it a lot at the time. but i had no control over the record level and sometimes i found that the bass would be very saturated and distorted on certain very bassy songs.

my journey into 'real' cassette decks was always a fantasy as a kid. looking at sony flyers and dreaming. it really didn't start till this year. but here we go with my list:

jan 2010 - akai hx-1c
feb 2010 - sony tc-k700es
feb 2010 - technics rs-b85
now it's all a blur
sony tc-fx25, with the led meters, i guess there's a model with analog meters?
sony tc-we475
sony tc-w305? or something
akai gxc-570d
pioneer ct-405?
sony tc-k730es
sony tc-k777

it's easy for me to get carried away with things. 2 decks a month? plus i have one in the mail, almost in the mail anyway. i won't say what it is cus then something bad will happen to it. but it's my most expensive deck yet. i'm very excited for it's arrival.

i primarily use the k777 or the k700. i feel very lucky to have them and once i get this deck in the mail i'm going to calm down on it all. for a minute. to take stock and re evaluate. i don't want garbage decks but i've just been scooping up everything i see.
Old 06-19-2010, 05:41 PM
ǝɔıloԀ qǝM

My Fist deck was a Pioneer CT-F2121 I bought used in 1976. It served me well until 1982 When I bought a used Sears LXI tape deck.

After I got out of college I bought a Hitachi D-X10 and the flood gates opened after that, I have owned and sold so many decks since then that my memory cannot recall all of them let alone recall the 20 something decks I currently own. I will have to make a list of my current decks someday. All I can tell you is there is Sony, Pioneer, Teac, Aiwa, JVC, Denon, Marantz and Sansui.

A nickel from yesterday isn't worth a half dollar today.
Old 06-20-2010, 07:56 PM

NAKAMICHI MR-1 #5 ON ITS WAY THIS WEEK!

oh boy! another of my favorite cassette decks. can't wait!

got it cheap, reel motor may have issues. should be an easy fix (crosses fingers (and toes)).
Old 07-01-2010, 11:30 AM

NAKAMICHI MR-1 #5 IS HERE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by westgate View Post
here's as many as i can remember right now
(the year shown is the year i purchased the unit, not necessarily the year it was manufactured)-

'68 craig mono 5" r2r, new
'69 rca mono 5" r2r, new
'72 concord portable stereo cassette deck-built in amp & spkrs, new
'73 kenwood kx-700 cass. deck, new
'73 sony tc 277-4 quad r2r, new
'76 nakamichi 600, new, still have
'78 akai gx-630d-ss quad 10" r2r, new, still have
'82 telefunken 7" r2r, tube electronics, used, wish i'd kept it.
'82 akai 7" r2r model ?, used
'83 rat shack el cheapo stereo cassette player, used for learning cover tunes to play in bands i was in.
'84 teac model #?, new, gave the POS away.
'94 teac model #?, used, real nice deck; iirc, a 3 header; i know now that i should have kept it. gave it away. (?)
'04 sony tc-fx510r cassette deck, used, still have
'06 denon dr-m10hx cassette deck, used $4.00, still have

i also still have the following decks-

6/08 above akai gx-630d-ss had been in storage since 1990 (18 years!!), pulled it out of storage, it had a bent capstan and being direct drive, we replaced the capstan motor/integral capstan, did a bit of internal cleaning, and it was good to go!

11/08 akai gx230d 7" r2r, used
12/08 nakamichi mr-1, used
1/09 akai gx-630d-ss #2, used
2/09 nak mr-1 #2, used
3/09 nak mr-1 #3, used
4/09 akai gx-630d-ss #3, used
5 09 nak mr-1 #4, used
5/09 teac a-6300 r2r, used
7/09 nak bx-300, used
8/09 3 tascam 122 mkIIIs, used
10/09 3 tascam 122 mkIIs, used

these decks and the ones above that i still have, are all in working condition with the exception of 2 of the tascam 122 mkIIs, one of which is in the shop for repairs right now.
edit-oh, and nak mr-1 #4 still needs the meters fixed.

only other decks i'd really like to own are-

studer 2 track, not sure which model
akai gx-400d-ss
nakamichi mr-1 #5 is here as of 2 days ago, tues, 6/29/10.
works and sounds great! reel motor may need cleaning out, not sure yet.

edit-summer 2010, added an otari ARS1000 playback only 2 track r2r, a denon DN-790R, a 2nd sony TC-FX510R, and a akai gx-400d-ss 10" quad r2r. NICE!
Old 07-01-2010, 06:30 PM
Serious Tapehead

Nothing like working in FM radio to pay for the first tape deck! Mine was a Pioneer 1011L R2R that I plugged into my Dynaco/AR tt/Altec 891A's system. Kept it from 1975 until it was stolen in April 1980 the day after we moved to Decatur, Alabama. The movers came back and got it while I was at work - no sign of forced entry.

The pittance of an insurance payment, plus the sale of the AR turntable (first stupid audio mistake) and the Dynaco to my best friend funded a Pioneer 800 something receiver (silver series), a Pioneer cassette deck (can't remember which one) and a Dual 500 series turntable - all in 1980.

Sold that system to a friend when we moved back to Chattanooga in 1984. Purchased a Nakamichi BX-1 as part of a Denon/Nakamichi/Polk Audio system. (Polk 5 JR's, IIRC).

Added a ReVox A77 in 1986. A friend of mine thought a hi-fi VCR was a better recorder than the Revox. Who was I to argue? Kept both the Revox and Nak for many years. Sold the Revox (second really stupid audio mistake) back in 2000 or so to help fund a Sony SACD player. A friend still has the Nakamichi, though it's technically mine.

Edit: for a couple of years in the late 90's, I had a Teac 2340 to go with the Revox in a home voice-over studio I had in the nascent years of AV on computers. Can't remember what became of that one; I know the Mackie board was donated to a local performing arts magnet school around 2002.

Purchased a Tascam 900 CD burner (not technically a tape deck but used like one) three years ago to make transfers from R2R and DCC masters from a collection of recordings a Russian-born conductor left the University before getting them on a server at work.

Added the Pioneer 1050 two months ago, using store credit for some speakers and an amp I had on consignment at the stereo shop. That may be it for a while, though there is a really mint auto-reverse Nak sitting there just begging to be taken home...

A Tapeheads Supporter

www.reelrecording.wordpress.com

Last edited by Bob Boyer; 07-01-2010 at 06:38 PM. Reason: whoops - forgot one
Old 07-02-2010, 09:01 AM
FeCr Type III

I started out with portables in the 70s and early 80s, two being a Radio Shack CTR 39 and later a CTR 37. Then I got a CCR-82 portable in around 83. From there I moved up to a real deck which was a Luxman K-112 in 1988. I saw an Aiwa XK-009 deck I wanted and started to work towards it, but college happened and I didn't get that deck at that time. In 1993 I got a Sony TC-K909ES and it was my main deck till a couple years ago. In around 2006 I got an Aiwa XK-009, but sold it when I got an Aiwa XK-S9000, but didn't get that serviced till 2008. Then in 2008 I also got a Tandberg 3014, but it still needs to be serviced. In around that time I also got a JVC TD-R611 and finally another Aiwa XK-009 to keep. It was late 2008 I also got my best deck- a Tandberg 3014A which is being serviced as we speak today. This past few months I got another set of RS portables- this time a CTR-42A and CTR-39. In late 2008 I also got my first reel to reel- an Otari MX-5050B3-2. I may look at getting a Pioneer RT-707 down the road, plus a Sony TC-KA7ES.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:12 AM
Serious Tapehead

Starting in 1963 I used an old Webcor mono R2R but rarely recorded music as I was just 10 years old at the time and used it for amusement purposes. In the early 70s I was given a Lafayette Mono R2R from a friend and it was used to record a certain radio personality who was known for his repetoire of stories. When a local stereo store closed its doors in 1973 I raided the dumpster and came home with a Grundig R2R which was a stereo deck but only worked in mono. I also came home with several Fisher FM tuners so I began recording music on tape seriously for the first time although only in mono. Around the same time a friend gave me a Panasonic portable mono cassette player which I used for amusement purposes. In May 1984 I bought my first real cassette deck, an Akai HX1 and used it to make better quality stereo recordings of music. That lasted until 1999 when everything was put in storage as I went on to do other things and had neither the time nor the space to set up a stereo system. For ten years the computer was my only means of music recording and playback. In 1996 I inherited my grandfather's Emerson 1963 or 1964 R2R tape deck (model 300 I think) and though it is a stereo machine it is strictly a lower end utilitarian unit. (it doesn't sound half bad when piped through my amp and floor speakers instead of using the small built ins) It serves its purpose which has enabled me to transfer older reel to reels to cassette and I can play reel to reel tapes should I find some on Craigslist or a flea market. In November 2009 I finally acquired the space (and time) to take everything out of storage, assess the damages, and begin the road back to enjoying my system. A trip to Goodwill yielded a Sanyo Plus D 56, a very nice mid level deck that needed only a belt. From the same Goodwill I also got a JVC KD D40 which was a lemon from the factory because it was a low mileage deck (still had the promo sticker on the cassette door) but it never sounded quite right. Eventually the playback head fell out the bracket and when something broke in the controls and it stopped recording and the buttons only worked 30% of the time I took it out of service and will be donating it to a fellow tapehead for parts. Through Craigslist I got a free Luxman K5A but it has a broken circuit board so it doesn't record. It too will be donated for parts. I found a Teac V250 at Goodwill for $8 but there's something wrong with the circuitry (left channel comes on slowly and right channel doesn't work at all) so that's also going to be donated as I have neither the equipment or the knowledge to repair that kind of problem. Craigslist again came through with two Sony decks, a TC FX 171 and a TC FX 211 both of which needed belts but the decks were $5 each so I serviced them and use the 211 as a dubbing deck with the 171 as a spare. My last Craigslist find was a JC Penny store brand MCS 3570 which may be a Pioneer in disguise. This is a beautiful silver (possibly high end) deck that works flawlessly and best of all it was free. Perhaps there will come a time when I will be in a position to spend a couple of hundred dollars and get some top end gear but considering what I have spent the return has been very rewarding.
Old 11-27-2010, 12:59 PM
Serious Tapehead

That's a good question.

It started back in the mid '80s with the homecomputers at the time like the Commodore Vic 20 which had its own datasette or the Sony Hit bit MSX 75P which could take any regular cassete deck. For storing games cassete tape was okay and I still got a few tapes from back then but no MSX no more.

By 1988 I got a ghetto blaster and by 1989 or so me and my sister both won a Sharp stereo system which was a lousy cheap produced piece of plastic!

In the 90's I had another Sharp stereo or something. It was not until late '90s that I thought about really getting a good stereo so I went to the nearby electronic store and bought a JVC 3cd system with AUX for a recordplayer.

All systems from the gettoblaster and up all had cassete or double that.

By 2003 I got my first Beocord the 9000 and not long after that the Beocord 2000.

Since then I got into B&O with no turning back.

By now 2010 I got several Beocords as they are easy to locate and I do know a great guy for service that knows how they work.
Old 11-27-2010, 01:16 PM
Long Live Magnetic Medium

I haven't a freakin' clue which deck I obtained first when I started collecting audio gear back in 1998/1999,but I got a boat-load of them...8-track/cassette,& reel-to-reel!! Rob
Old 11-27-2010, 03:40 PM
Serious Tapehead

My very first reel to reel was a little battery powered 3" reels type. I bought it myself with birthday money in 1964. Second reel to reel was little tube driven mono machine that took 5" reels . Bought my first good reel to reel, a Sony 3 head in 1976. Had lots of problems with it and threw it out of the 6th story apartment I lived in. Bought my TEAC A 2300 SD new in 1979 and still have it. Only had cassettes in car radios or walkman until 1998 when I bought an Olympus Radio Shack deck. Then around the same time I acquired a used TEAC cassette deck that when it died I tossed it and also a Pioneer that died and was tossed as well. Haden't bothered with cassettes at all then until I found my SONY TC K670. I realized it was a really nice sounding deck. From there got my Technics M258R.

There can only be 2 types of cassette decks. The first are the really good ones that sound great, are made well and worth saving (read this as expensive when new). The other type is good for parts perhaps the keep the good one's going or automatically tossed. The millions of plastic clad cassette decks installed in late 20th century throw away consumer pieces are the Hugo's of the cassette world.

Reel to reel is a bit better off. The cheap consumer junk died away in the 60's and the good stuff evolved and got better. The reel to reel era came to such an abrupt end that there was no reason to down grade the market with junk to linger on a little longer. That said once you learn what makes a great cassette deck great it becomes obvious that most cassette devices are hardly worth the price of admission.
Old 11-27-2010, 03:46 PM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Lawson View Post
Bought my first good reel to reel, a Sony 3 head in 1976. Had lots of problems with it and threw it out of the 6th story apartment I lived in.
Ha! Must've been a TC-580.

That thing was a dog. You thought it was good. Back in the early 90's, I received one as payment for washing and waxing a couple of cars (who took who for a ride? ) and within three hours, a buddy and I had hefted it to the roof of his two story house and bombs away it went to the sidewalk below. Gawd that thing was a piece of junk. I've read a lot of former owners express similar sentiments about that deck. A total lemon straight from the factory and Sony's biggest bomb since Elcasset.