Tapeheads Forums

Go Back   Tapeheads Forums > Tape, Taping and Tape Machines > Cassette > Blank Cassette Tape

Blank Cassette Tape All aspects of blank tape; quality, characteristics, experiences, use and storage.

Universal Capstan Motor

Old 05-29-2010, 02:23 PM
The King of CROWN!

Question TDK SA-90

I have read through a lot of threads here to educate myself about TDK cassettes. Back in the day , I used to always purchase TDK SA-90 cassettes. They seemed to give the best performance for the money and for a long time, when you bought a five-pack, you would get a nice little cassette carrying case. I was using them on my Pioneer CT-F750 deck and found that the tapes I made on it were excellent!

So time moves on, and last year I picked up a mint Sony TC-WA9ES deck. Now this is a pretty nice deck and it has Dolby A,B,C and S. So I went "digging" for what I had left of my new, unused, vintage TDK SA-90 tapes. They are like these:

The label says "1991 TDK Corporation" and that "Tape made in Japan, assembled in USA". Of course, they are Type II cassettes.

OK, so I don't have enough to these to last forever. So I spotted these at a Yard Sale last summer and picked them up for a buck.

The label doesn't have a date on it like the others, but still says "Tape made in Japan, cassette assembled in USA". They are also Type II tapes.

I found this one at a Yard Sale also for a quarter. It had obviously been purchased at some point as a clearance item for $1.00. (HOT )

It is dated 1988. It says "Made in Japan" and is obviously also a Type II tape.

A few months ago, I was in the local discount store and had a look at the "Clearance" rack and found these for 50 cents each. I figured they might be good for some general purpose use and bought all 6.

They are not dated, but say "Tape made in Japan, cassette assembled in Thailand". Obviously they are only Type I, but cheap enough.

So now I notice that there are sellers on the Internet that sell new TDK SA-90 Type II cassettes like these:

They are dated 2008 Imation Corporation and say "Tape made in Korea, cassette assembled in Thailand" and are labeled as Type II.

OK, so here's the questions!

1. Are the CD Power cassettes effectively the same as the original SA-90 tapes, except for length and trying to market to the crowd for taping CDs?

2. Is the SA-76 the same as the original SA-90 tapes but only in a different length?

3. What is the consensus about the "New" Imation SA-90 tapes? They seem to be available at pretty good prices on the internet, especially if you buy in packs of 10 or more?

Thanks for your input.

Glad to be a Tapeheads.net supporter
Old 05-29-2010, 02:58 PM

I cannot comment on the CD Power but I will say that the SA continued to be a very fine tape right up until the mid 1990s. The later examples were not as good in my opinion.

The '91 & '88 SAs that you have are excellent cassettes.
Old 05-30-2010, 12:08 PM
Serious Tapehead

Thumbs up Earlier thread about this tape

I did a brief review of this tape, look for this thread: TDK CD Power 110. Sorry I couldn't get it to link to this reply.
Old 05-30-2010, 12:54 PM
The King of CROWN!

Smile TDK CD Power 110 tapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naknut View Post
I did a brief review of this tape, look for this thread: TDK CD Power 110. Sorry I couldn't get it to link to this reply.
I found it. Very interesting!

http://www.tapeheads.net/showthread.php?t=5190

Old 06-06-2010, 03:45 PM
The King of CROWN!

Smile TDK SA90 Cassettes

It seems that the general consensus is that the "new" TDK SA90 tapes, the ones that are made in Korea and assembled in Thailand, probably aren't as good as the older, made in Japan and assembled in the U.S. tapes. So I thought it looked like a good opportunity to pick these up this week.

As you can see, there are 4 two-packs of the older style SA90 tapes, which have a 1987 copyright date on them. I noticed that nowhere on the shrink-wrap on the cassette does it mention anything about CDs. However, you will notice that it says "Ideal for Compact Disc Recording" on the top of the hang-tab header card.

The other 9 single packaged tapes do not have a date on the package, but do say "Best for CD" on the shrink-wrap. Obviously, these are later production.

I picked this bunch up for what I thought was a very reasonable price and imagine that this "stash" will probably be sufficient to meet my needs in the future!

Old 06-06-2010, 04:02 PM
Nakamichi Spoken Here

The '88 & '87 (last years with a green 90) are some of my favorite SAs the SA-X versions being particularly excellent . I have all the years you displayed plus a few more and I can tell you that you will not be disappointed . I have 20 of the last gasp SAs and they are not in the same league as the older ones. The last year they made SA-X was the last decent year, but even then not az good as '91 and older .
Old 06-06-2010, 10:12 PM
Cassetticus Maximus

TDK SA has never let me down, even in the newer versions unlike the Maxell "man-in-chair" XL's did.

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory ...... lasts forever....

Last edited by Scorpion8; 06-07-2010 at 02:36 PM.
Old 06-07-2010, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Monte Slim View Post
I picked this bunch up for what I thought was a very reasonable price and imagine that this "stash" will probably be sufficient to meet my needs in the future!
You have some excellent tapes there. Well done.

I love those SAs from the late 80s and early 90s.
Old 06-07-2010, 01:24 PM
Serious Tapehead

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazen1 View Post
You have some excellent tapes there. Well done.

I love those SAs from the late 80s and early 90s.

Me too. TDK SAs were my tape of choice when I could no longer get BASF chrome tapes. I can say that I've never had one let me down.