Tapeheads Forums

Go Back   Tapeheads Forums > Tape, Taping and Tape Machines > Cassette > Blank Cassette Tape

Blank Cassette Tape All aspects of blank tape; quality, characteristics, experiences, use and storage.

Universal Capstan Motor

Old 01-12-2010, 05:27 AM
INFP

Question Hype Of TDK MA-XG ?!?

I don't exactly know if this has been ever posted before. Like (sure others too) the hype of the TDK MA-XG Cassette?

What really is it? ...Just the look and often mentioned heaviness of it? - And/Or even something else too? - Maybe one of the ultimate 'Cult Tapes' ?!? I'm one of those not so fortunate to have gotten one, I think (only seen them), the more common TDK MA and MA-X I remember....

Feel free to disguss all kinds of aspects of it here. Maybe some or more will even say (sort of grasp things intuitively between the lines) that this very TDK Metal tape is one of the ultimate 'Cult Symbols' of Cassette Tapes in General, and that all Tape aficionados should at least have one of these....Hm?!?

Another pic of it here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/neilvance/4015979307/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TDKMA--XG.jpg (108.6 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg TDKMA--XG90s.jpg (39.0 KB, 72 views)
Old 01-12-2010, 08:26 AM

These tapes will often disappoint unless you have a top deck.

I think you can probably say the same for all metals. The extra cost can only be justified if the rest of your system is up to the job.

I would suggest that the original TDK MA-R is better suited to the title of "cult tape".
Old 01-12-2010, 08:51 AM
Banned

I have many metal tapes, and you really want to know who holds the crown. The story of the 3 tape Kings, all with great power. Maxell Metal Vertex, TDK MA-XG Green, Sony Super Metal Master. Notice something, all from 1991-1993, at that time the tape companies wanted to make a statement who is the best. So Sony make a heck of tape, so did Maxell, and TDK made a very impressive tape. The most complex is the TDK, that tape is made of multiple parts. The Maxell is super heavy and made to high standards, and the Sony the shell is similar to the SMM but lighter and new tape formulation. In my case I have one Dragon calibrated to the MA-XG, another Dragon to the Maxell Metal Vertex, and my CR-7A to the SSMM. When I listen to all 3 the TDK sounds so neutral and detail that is hard to imagine that anything else sounds better. The Maxell has such a good mid range and Fat sound that is equivalent to that of high end system. Finaly the SSMM is a very sweet tape and detail, you melt at the sound and is pleasant to listen and nothing is taken away. So there is no hype on these tapes. I you have a deck that can't reproduce the qualities of this tape then you will think that the tape is not any good, well is not the tape and its your deck. I hope this help.
Angel
Old 01-12-2010, 09:05 AM
BlazeES

Dazen is spot on. If your platform isn't up to snuff, forget about it. Don't waste your money on the elite metals - unless of course you're collecting and not using.

I like Angel's reference to melting in reference to the Sony's. Personally I've not experienced any euphoria with SuperMM, but regular MM's make me melt - if the source material has the depth and span to be revealed that is...
Old 01-12-2010, 09:40 AM
INFP

Hm....I got a DN-790R Denon Deck which I won humbly on eBay about a good year ago.

Isn't that good enough for Metals or?
Old 01-12-2010, 10:41 AM
Inactive

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapemystic View Post
Hm....I got a DN-790R Denon Deck which I won humbly on eBay about a good year ago.

Isn't that good enough for Metals or?
It certainly is, I own the same deck (I bought it from Des ). Any of the super metals are worth the price for prized copies of well recorded music. Especially the trace/electronica you like so much . The pride of ownership is a bonus!
Old 01-12-2010, 12:15 PM
Serious Tapehead

TDK MA-XG's ???

Did you see my intro to all members here?

Since I got into Beocords (Bang & Olufsen Denmark) which is what tape recorders are called by B&O, I got into basically state of the art. In 2003 I bought a Beocord 9000 which got rave reviews when it came out back in the early '80s. It has automatic record calibration that is very highly acurate. This gets the best out of the tapes used for recording.

My "love" for cassette tapes had made my collection consist of type 1 and 2. I simply did not know or care about type, dolby and so forth. Tapes were tapes. As I was into TDK sa tapes just to keep my tapes somewhat identical those were the ones I bought back in 1998 or something.

I was very fond of the way the Beocord 9000 sounded on playback, still am and for the test of recording I found out that I never had any metal tapes in my life and never seen them either. Not as far as I can recall.

Via the internet I found the TDK metal tape was called MA-XG and I got 1 90 minutes green tape 1990 style. Wow! Tapes can sound impressing! Where do I get a motherload of these for a fair price? Not the 40$ + shipping each I paid for the first tape.

I guess everybody here would say and think the same. Those who has tried them. Well I did some searching online and found a Yamaha tape recorder with an offer of a box with TDK MA-XG tapes comming with the sale of it. Hmmm.... Maybe he would sell that box without the Yamaha? The answer was YES! For 100$US I was the now proud owner of 50 TDK MA-XG60N tapes still sealed and in small boxes (5 each) + 1 big box(original 10 case box) ex B&O factory 4 in Struer Denmark.

The seller was clueless to the real sort of value so when I told him how it was on Ebay he told me that he had 2 more 50 case tapes. I was satisfied and passed on those. The seller quickly sold the remaning 2 for double the price that I paid. Properly due my mentioned this as deal of the year 2008 on a Danish HiFI forum.

I still got 46 to record on. Still in thier boxes, sealed and waiting. No I'm keeping them forever so no sales or trade. I realize these are specials and deserves to be kept safe and together.

Just the other day I found a Maxell XLII gold with red writing 60 minutes tape. It had my first copy of Master of Puppets by Metallica. That was made around 1990 and copied from the Music for nation records. It was a bit to ruff in the low end so I rerecorded Puppets from the cd but using my Beosystem 6500.

It came out cool. I still have to decide if the MA-XG versus the Maxell II version but both recordings turned out well and the TDK MA-XG proves its not hype. With the high caliber taperecorder it sounds great in all areas every time.
Old 01-12-2010, 01:19 PM
Banned

I very much doubt that an XL sounds close to a MA-XG, not to the point where I even have to consider the XL over the MA-XG, not in a million years. Like you I have a good amount of MA-XG 90.
Angel
Old 01-12-2010, 01:46 PM
Nakamichi Spoken Here

I only own 1 or 2 sealed blanks of MA-XG green, no Vertex or MM, so I can't comment on Angels descriptions. I do own a fair number of '82 MA-Rs and original '86 MA-XGs. I have recordings on over a dozen MA-XGs and about 5 MA-Rs, with maybe a dozen or so of each sealed. They are superb tapes, and FR tests on them both show them to be superior to regular MA's from the same era. I do not know if the tape is different or just a better quality of stock. They look exactly the same. But they exhibit on my Dragons and B215s the steadiest high frequency signals on the scope of any tape I own, as well as allowing the flattest FR from 18 to 22k of any tape. Naturally, different decks handle tapes differently as they apply bias, but between the 5 different models I regularly use, those two are tops, spec wise. The steady signal MAY be the tape following the steadiest path accross the heads; that is easy to see why when you use it. They are also the quietest, hiss wise and shell wise. The shells are absolutely silent, they never squeak or vibrate and seem to absorb and neutralize vibration from the deck itself. I've found, in general that 86 through 88 MA are better sounding than early 90s MA are. I have a few early 90 MA-X, but have yet to compare them to the MA-R or MA-XG. Are they worth $40/50/60? I dunno..I doubt it. I don't personally think any of them are worth that. I mean, what would you rather have, 10 sealed MA-Rs or a nice Dragon? Easy choice.

However, every recording I have on them sounds as good as the source (Dolby C) and there is a total lack of coloration, which most tapes, especially Type IIs, seem to have in different degrees. Just using them is a pleasure. I love them. I think they're desireable as a collectable because there is at least something tangible to their value, like the ceramic shell of the SSMMs. It's not just flash, but substance. I think the 5 part, clear shell and liner adds to that as well. I'd really like to get some SMMs and Vertex to compare, but so far, no luck. I don't think the benefits are lost on lesser decks (no insult intended), assuming they handle Type IVs well, any more than any other quality tape. In fact, maybe more because the absolute rigidity of the shell could help the tape track the heads better, than, say an ultra high end deck that tracks most tapes closer to perfect. If your deck only does 15 or 16kHz flat, then any metal is a waste to use.

Those that say there is no difference between Type IV and Type II either don't have the decks to capitalize on it, or don't think the extra cost is worth the sound difference. Both are legitimate stances, but the differences are very easy to measure and hear. The electronics of a 790R would easily take full advantage of Type IVs, especially with Dolby S. I don't know anything about their mechanics. Get a used one or two and take them for a spin. They are very easy to resell, so you'd be out next to nothing if you decided they are no better than regular metals you use. As Angel said, no XL of any kind or year is even close on an analyzer to the XG. But if you can't hear the difference, then why spend the money, unless you just like to collect them?

BTW, if you haven't seen the series of videos of Luis P comparing the 1000ZXL to a CR7A on his website, that is what I am talking about. He takes the Type IV up to 22kHz, flat with no issue. I only wish he showed the waveforms on the scope at 17 to 20kHz, that is just as important as signal level.
Old 01-12-2010, 03:43 PM
Banned

Can you post Luis link?
Angel
Old 01-12-2010, 03:56 PM
TapeHeads.Net Member

Another sleeper of a tape that many people dont know about is the THAT'S SUONO METAL , i have ssmm,vertex,ma-xg&ma-r and the suono is right up there with the best a really underestimated tape .
Old 01-12-2010, 05:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by retro zx View Post
Another sleeper of a tape that many people dont know about is the THAT'S SUONO METAL , i have ssmm,vertex,ma-xg&ma-r and the suono is right up there with the best a really underestimated tape .
I wanted to find out for myself so I have a few, they sound very analitical, the sound is to transparent for me, kind of goes together with Krell sound. Again I bet if I calibrate a good deck to that tape it will be out there with the best.
Angel
Old 01-12-2010, 07:36 PM
-----

I only have experience with the clear shell TDK metals. The one I had truly stood above the other recordings I had made. It's a great tape. However, everything has it's time and place and the cost/value ratio has generally been left in the dust. Because I'll be recording on it, most asking prices aren't worth it to me. Still, great tapes IMHO.
Old 01-13-2010, 03:11 AM
Reelin' in the years

Wink Here's a thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by retro zx View Post
Another sleeper of a tape that many people dont know about is the THAT'S SUONO METAL
Angel is spot on regarding the three kings, SSMM, Maxell Vertex and TDK MA-XG. All A+ cassettes

However, I'm glad someone mentioned the young pretender: the That's Suono, it's a great tape that can't be discounted. Why this tape hasn't acheived the regard of the aforementioned trio I don't know. The ones I have used are uniformly excellent with zero issues to date - are they tarnished because of the problems associated with some Triad cassettes, their sister product.

Also, what of the Axia XD-Master, BASF IV Metal and Denon MG-X? A or A- tapes perhaps but not so far away really.

All we need is for Angel to get hold of another 4 Dragons, have them overhauled by ESL and calibrated for each tape here and then we should have a definitive critique.
Old 01-13-2010, 06:26 AM
Banned

My wife will packed the bags with the Dragons inside and push me out the door.
Angel
Old 01-13-2010, 07:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamhifi View Post
I very much doubt that an XL sounds close to a MA-XG, not to the point where I even have to consider the XL over the MA-XG, not in a million years. Like you I have a good amount of MA-XG 90.
Angel
I just did some test with the Vertex and the XL II S.
The XL II S is not bad, sounds close to the source, the high frequency was a bit looser then the source and some miniscule micro detail were somewhat true to the source, the bass was deep and the mid was warm and close to the source, the over all was excellent.
The Vertex well here it is true to the source, more control over all, the high frequency was under control, nothing added nothing lost, and the micro detail was clear, the air around the instrument was present, the bass was well define and control tight, the mid was warm life like.
You see although the XL is a great tape there is no comparison with a Super Tape.
Angel
Old 01-15-2010, 08:46 AM
INFP

Question How about the Super Ferrics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuwee View Post
It certainly is, I own the same deck (I bought it from Des ). Any of the super metals are worth the price for prized copies of well recorded music. Especially the trace/electronica you like so much . The pride of ownership is a bonus!

Hmmm...Got any lightly used lying around to share? One really needs to have had real luck in a big Lotto win to afford these... There must be alternatives...Know any? I think of the Super Ferrics here...

Has anyone here tried these elite elusive super expensive Metals against say TDK AR/AR-X...Sony HF-ES, Maxell XLI-S ?!? Might be worth looking into...I'm interested in how they go...

I mostly use TDK AR for Trance/Energy Electronica Music,and say they sound excellent...6+ db's no trouble either...*boing* Sure going to be looking for those, as well as some TDK AR-X amongst others as well. For some reason I was never that hot on Metals...

The most common Metals I found on eBay not so dear is the TDK MA 110, some TDK MA-X too....There appears to be quite a scarcity on the MAX-G C90's on eBay...I saw quite a few C60's...C90's hardly...
Old 01-15-2010, 09:02 AM
Nakamichi Spoken Here

I've never seen That's Suono on ebay or in person. Is it mostly a non-US tape? EDIT: OK, there is one Suono C-60 on ebay, with a min of $28 + S&H. not cheap at all. That's XG territory. (pun intended)
Old 01-15-2010, 10:46 AM
FeCr Type III

I think Suono and Denon MG-X should be included in the super tapes. I also have a decent selection of super ferrics, but since my decks are in need of service- have yet to evaluate one.
Old 01-15-2010, 11:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by braxus View Post
I think Suono and Denon MG-X should be included in the super tapes. I also have a decent selection of super ferrics, but since my decks are in need of service- have yet to evaluate one.
This tapes falls in between the the super tapes and TDK MA and Maxell MX S.
Angel

Tags
cassette, cult, hype, ma-xg