Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums
High quality analog audio tape for professionals and enthusiasts alike.

Go Back   Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums > Tape, Taping and Tape Machines > Cassette

Cassette All discussions pertaining to cassette decks. These include general usage, recording, playback and service questions. For subjects related to tape itself, see the Cassette Tape subforum under this one. Obscure service subjects that don't quite fit go in the Help and Do It Yourself subforum.

Donate to Tapeheads!

Old 07-07-2017, 02:00 AM
Hoarder Extraordinaire

The saga of a man, his dream, a crushed box and possible redemption.

My sad story goes like this.....man lusts for particular cassette deck for over a decade, searches far and wide for said tape deck to no avail. Man finally finds tape deck, pays good money for postage from a land far, far, away, only to have the deck of his dreams arrive in this:

"But this can't be" says man. "I have waited so long and traveled so far just to get a glimpse of the cassette deck of my dreams and it arrives in a smashed box. Oh no!"

But our hero has not given up all hope. He bravely opens the package from the other side of the known world to find that while the deck did take a beating, it seems to be all there:

But now the story comes to the moment that we have all been waiting for (or not), does the treasure work after such a beating? Could it, would it? The man who had waited for so long receives his answer in the lights and music that spill forth from his long awaited treasure:

To be continued......
Old 07-07-2017, 02:24 AM
Dream tape never ends

So, what's so "digital" about it?
Old 07-07-2017, 03:13 AM
TapeHeads.Net Member

I can feel you

Dont keep us waiting! I hope there is a Happy End there hahahaha
Old 07-07-2017, 06:08 AM
Serious Tapehead

Angry

I think your lucky that it actually had some packing at all I got a R2R in a supermarket see through shopping bag just shoved in a cardboard box and I had asked the twat to pack it well, then i received a mini disc player just wrapped in a thin layer of bubble wrap with the address label stuck on it, then Aiwa F770 that was totally trashed...............

Still pisses me off how thick some people are.
Old 07-07-2017, 06:18 AM
Serious Tapehead

Not too bad. At least the faceplate survived. Looks like back corner took the brunt of it. Box looked like it was put in a tumbler!

Decks need to be packed with several inches of foam on every dimension...I'd say 6". Double walled box, or double boxed with outer box completely taped to make it rip and puncture resistant.

Such a nice deck...do let us know how it turns out.
Old 07-07-2017, 06:21 AM
TapeHeads.Net Member

Yeah know that feeling all too well had a deck arrive in a damaged box and the controls were pushed back into the case was gutted. Deck was a yamaha kx230 seller refunded me to his credit and let me keep the deck was able to repair it and worked really well for a number of years afterwards before the cam gear lost its teeth. It taught me to check the belts closely in 2 motor decks with no cam motor. Miss the deck was a really good sounding deck.

Turntable technics sl1210m5g Cd player Denon DCD-1015 Cassette decks Technics RS-B18 Denon DRM-710 Amp Yamaha RX-397 Speakers Eclipse

Keeping on taping forever once bitten am hooked gotta keep this format alive!!
Old 07-07-2017, 06:22 AM
Dream tape never ends

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_OX View Post
Still pisses me off how thick some people are.
If only their packing was as thick as their skull....
Old 07-07-2017, 07:37 AM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
If only their packing was as thick as their skull....
Hahaha...good one
Old 07-07-2017, 07:54 AM
Serious Tapehead

I am betting this story has a happy conclusion. Nice deck, Luke.

Nando.
Old 07-07-2017, 12:34 PM
Hoarder Extraordinaire

Great replies everyone . I was close to having a nervous breakdown after seeing the box. I think Red Ox was correct that I was lucky that there was any packing at all, because the outer box was paper thin.

I initially opened up a claim on EBay as a hedge in case there was internal damage. Once I really looked it over and saw that it was working I emailed the seller and told him that I would be happy with a refund of the shipping cost to offset the damage that it took as it was in pristine cosmetic condition prior to packing according to the pictures. They have not responded yet.

Also, the digital tape counter is not working but I think it was like that previously but since I can't read German I missed that in the description but it was not working in the auction pictures so I assume it came like that. I will have to find a parts deck with the same LCD counter or maybe it is just a broken solder connection or loose connection where it plugs into the circuit board??
Old 07-07-2017, 01:16 PM
TapeHead & Heart

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velktron View Post
So, what's so "digital" about it?
It either works or it doesn't
Old 07-07-2017, 01:53 PM
Serious Tapehead

The corner of the top case could be taken out easily enough. Raise the dent a bit of body filler primer and then paint the whole cover. It'd be gorgeous. Just take the cover to an auto paint supply store and have them put the computer color camera on it and you'll get a perfect match. I've done it many times. There are little sprayers that you can get for a few $$$.
Old 07-07-2017, 02:10 PM
Serious Tapehead

Wow, what a craptastic packing job and what looks like the cheapest cardboard I've ever seen. Glad it wasn't beat up beyond repair, though.
Old 07-07-2017, 05:40 PM
Serious Tapehead

Reelstop

I still have the pictures on my laptop from when I posted a thread about my Akia R2R and how it arrived a few years ago , and remember folks I emailed and asked him to pack it well........Got my money refunded.

Even the head block took a dent.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg akai (2).jpg (72.4 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0005.jpg (65.0 KB, 114 views)
Old 07-07-2017, 10:52 PM
Serious Tapehead

I see to broken spots on the Left plastic end cap. IF you are careful you could super glue them back into the correct place & IF needed repaint it. You also need to check the other side/end as well.
Old 07-08-2017, 03:57 PM
Hoarder Extraordinaire

Red Ox, looking at that box I am surprised that the r2r deck didn't take a bigger beating. I should had stressed to him to pack it better but you really shouldn't have to. What's even more infuriating is that it took so long for me to find this particular deck just to see it packed so badly.
Old 07-08-2017, 04:18 PM
Serious Tapehead

Smile

With me I explained in great detail about the packing but it seems as soon as they have the money they think the job is done, I haven't touched it since and the spindles are toast still the heads are mint but it is just a spares machine.

I can understand it must be harder when it is a machine that you have been searching for over a period of years, it is a real mystery to me why they don't care about the item arriving in the condition it was when sold. I have read and seen some terrible stories and pics regarding Nak dragons.

Last edited by Red_OX; 07-08-2017 at 04:20 PM.
Old 07-08-2017, 08:44 PM
Serious Tapehead

OMG...I just looked at the R2R picture...what a tool.

I think you're right...once they get paid, that's it, they don't care anymore. Back when I was ebaying a lot, I would make the seller agree to the packaging standard I wanted before paying. Seemed to work fairly well, until I got lazy an just said 'please pack it well'...wow, was that a dumb move on my part...they wrapped a 67lb receiver by folding a peice of carpet underlay foam over it (didn't even cover the whole thing)...that's it...unit was allowed to slide around in the box! Was lucky it did'nt get totally destroyed...but tuning knob shaft got bent.
Old 07-09-2017, 09:33 AM
Serious Tapehead

I've been really lucky so far, everyone I've bought from has done a good job of packing. In one case the deck, a JVC CD-1770, was wrapped in plastic, then bubble wrap, put in a box with fitted foam inserts, then That Box was boxed in a larger box filled with foam inserts. It looked like I'd order a piece of furniture. Deck was in perfect condition and I was amazed.

Mark Gosdin
Old 07-09-2017, 12:24 PM
TapeHeads.Net Member

Congratulations for the MAAC deck !
Also for a great picture of the week :D

Would you like to see your company or site here?  CONTACT US
For more Tapeheads affiliates and links, see the Links and Resources page.