Tapeheads Forums

Go Back   Tapeheads Forums > General Audio Discussions > Receivers, Amps, and Preamps - Solid-State

Receivers, Amps, and Preamps - Solid-State The heart of every system. Discuss your amps, receivers and control amplifiers here.

Universal Capstan Motor

Old 03-21-2009, 07:25 PM
Inactive

Sanyo A35 Plus Series integrated amp review

It came the same day (Thurs 3/19) as the TT2 tapes, extremely well packed as it should always be. 5 wraps of bubble wrap in a heavy box, placed in a slightly larger box with styrofoam sheet and blocks and those air pillow thingies.

I plugged it in (de riguer at casa stuwee for all SS equipment of unknown downtime for a 24 hour warmup) the relay clicks!! Yea! The meters do the salute, I wait....

It was hell getting the custom handmade speaker cables bare wire in the tiny hole slots, nothing stops me when I'm on a mission . I hooked up the 'Logans to the little dear rated at only 50 watts @8ohm, 55@4ohms. I made a tape of The Police "Synchronicity" that I bought new in '83, A&M LP to a Maxell XLII-S, at first it was bright with no bass, I went outside for a ciggie and I heard it come 'on song'. I come back inside, yep, it's warmed up and singing Sting's plucked electric bass . The cymbal's now ring proper and decay nicely in the studio space recorded .

It's not as killer as the Yamaha, it wasn't made to be either, but it's very impressive as it sits and plays. I guess my memory ain't so bad after all, I picked a good' un way back when, lost it and found it again !

I never pushed the excellent meters over 50 watts, I never heard clipping or compression. Though it did get quite warm with the Denon on top of it.
I heard the signature MOSFET warmth, like I said not better than any other amp I have, just different.

Question; Do MOSFET's tend to run hotter in low ohm loads?
Old 03-21-2009, 08:31 PM
ǝɔıloԀ qǝM

It that a pumpkin bong? or is it orange toe nail polish?

Ohhh nice amp too.

A nickel from yesterday isn't worth a half dollar today.
Old 03-21-2009, 08:41 PM
Total Tape Nut

Ah Lokkin' Good Stu
Love your Rockin Rod Picture.
Old 03-21-2009, 08:42 PM
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Web Police View Post
It that a pumpkin bong? or is it orange toe nail polish?

Ohhh nice amp too.
Drat! forgot to tidy up, it's my Tony Stewart Holloweenie pipe

Thanks, this little baby is impressing the crap outta me, it a sleeper and a keeper for sure
Old 03-21-2009, 08:44 PM
ǝɔıloԀ qǝM

Is that Rod on your calendar?

A nickel from yesterday isn't worth a half dollar today.
Old 03-21-2009, 08:58 PM
Inactive

Uh Oh! It just got quiet! It's in protection, I guess the 'Logans were a bit to much. Drat, it was really sounding sweeet!

The Rod is an inner sleeve from a trashed GW find, I can't remember the LP, it had "I'm Losing You" on it, IIRC.
Old 03-21-2009, 09:03 PM
Serious Tapehead

Oh no! I was wondering if the Sanyo could take a 4 ohm load!! Is it terminal?
Old 03-21-2009, 09:25 PM
Inactive

I unplugged it, no magic smoke, nothing smells burnt, a quick looksie thru the louvers doesn't show any black crap ! I'll let it rest a bit. This is a leason in taking it easy with unknowns....to be continued....

Old 03-21-2009, 09:41 PM
Magneticus Maximus

Bummer to hear your amp went quiet on you.... Those Logans are monsters, eh!!!???

I hope everything works out. I hope it just heated up and reacted the way it should.

Good luck finding a set of speakers to match it. I bet a set of the smaller Infinity Kappas would be a nice vintage match to that amp...
Power: Yamaha A-510, Yamaha R-8 |Tuner: Sansui TU-217 | Speakers: Tannoy Proto-J, JBL L80T, Infinity RS-1|
Old 03-21-2009, 11:54 PM
Serious AudioHead

Careful with your ML's...
Old 03-22-2009, 05:13 AM
Inactive

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal Sam View Post
Careful with your ML's...
I must have fried something, I plugged it back in, the power button won't stay engaged, the meter lights do the salute, the button goes back to out/off. If I hold it in there's no relay click. I'm truely a world class f$#k up!!

I know better than to be so stupid, "but it sounded so nice" ~ sarcastic last words from me, kids don't try this at home!! I'll have to take the hood off and look around after work today.

Socal Sam, you have the seperates of these Sanyo's, don't you? any thoughts? MOSFET's have a different kind of protection curcuit don't they?

I'll give a heads up over on Sound Thinking as well

I'm truely a f*%k up idiot,
stu
Old 03-22-2009, 09:37 AM
Serious AudioHead

To tell you the truth, I haven't played my Sanyo Plus very much so I'm not familiar with how it works. I'll report back shortly.

Sounds like your A35 got a ROYAL FRYING! Hope it is not too bad.
Old 03-22-2009, 10:15 AM
Magneticus Maximus

Well, if push comes to shove and you can't find anyone in your area to fix it, I know a guy here in Tampa that can pretty much fix anything. I'll be happy to organize that for you, or put you in touch with him. It would just suck to ship back and forth.
Power: Yamaha A-510, Yamaha R-8 |Tuner: Sansui TU-217 | Speakers: Tannoy Proto-J, JBL L80T, Infinity RS-1|
Old 03-22-2009, 04:33 PM
dealer

Did you get it opened up? If so can you see anything wrong?
Bellari Phono Amp
MMF-2.2 le TT
Akai GX-265D r2r
Epos 12.2 speakers
Epos M-16s
Onkyo Cassette deck
Nakamichi LX3 Cassette deck
Old 03-23-2009, 01:52 AM
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakerman1 View Post
Did you get it opened up? If so can you see anything wrong?
Not yet, NCAA basketball fever in Tucson big time yesterday after work ! Very windy too! I want to take pics outside because the light is better than indoors with a flash with my crappy camera, it's still very gusty out right now, this afternoon it dies down, the last thing I need is a bunch of dust and crap blowing into it while I snap the pics.

A good friend who's also a tech (though he doesn't work on amps very much ) is visiting from MI this month, if someone can lead me/him in the right direction I'd be everso grateful!! I'll get it open later today!
Old 03-23-2009, 02:40 AM
Very Serious MixTapehead

I hope it is only a minor problem and soon you will be enjoying it again!
Old 03-23-2009, 02:41 AM
dealer

Well good luck.
Bellari Phono Amp
MMF-2.2 le TT
Akai GX-265D r2r
Epos 12.2 speakers
Epos M-16s
Onkyo Cassette deck
Nakamichi LX3 Cassette deck