Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums
High quality analog audio tape for professionals and enthusiasts alike.

Go Back   Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums > Site Related > Announcements and Updates

Announcements and Updates Look here to see what's going on with the site.

Donate to Tapeheads!

Old 04-08-2014, 05:06 PM
Sendust for brains

Universal, extremely high-quality replacement cassette capstan motor available NOW!

Is your cassette deck suffering with an old, worn-out motor? Did you tear your motor apart to service or lube it, only to accidentally clobber it? Perhaps your deck suffers from "Mabuchi AnySpeed Syndrome."* Read on, because I am beyond excited to be able to offer something very special to Tapeheads members. This is awesome.

If you have a single-well, non-dubber, non-high-speed deck (even a portable), this motor will very likely work for you and fit your deck. If you have a direct-drive capstan, this motor will not work in your deck.

Questions: Suppose you could change out your crummy generic motor to one of the best capstan motors ever made? Suppose the new motor would outlast the old one by at least a factor of three? If you've got one of those decks that spins the capstan whenever the deck is on, this can definitely matter! Suppose you could audibly improve wow, flutter and overall speed stability with a better motor?

Answers: Now you can. Now, there is something that will indeed last longer. Now, again... yes you can.

Everyone (well, I hope everyone) knows I service equipment, including cassette decks. And I have been tearing my hair out dealing with crummy motors for the last several years and have been looking for a decent replacement cassette capstan motor for quite some time. I have finally procured a limited supply of one of the best motors out there, and the great thing is that almost anyone can use it, no matter what deck you have. This motor will even fit many classic portable units.

Presenting... the Pacific Stereo Universal Capstan Motor!

This motor was made by Matsushita (Panasonic) for Pioneer, and it was spec'd to be very stable across a wide set of conditions. The last time it was available, it sold for over $50. If you could actually buy this NLA motor from Pioneer, in today's dollars they'd want over $100 for it. Here's a look at the motor, side-by-side with a typical Mabuchi motor.

You'll notice a couple of things. One is that the Pacific Stereo motor is bigger. It also has a longer shaft for the belt pulley, making it more adaptable to more units. But the best part is that is is completely isolated from the outer case by a rubber insert. It's a case within a case, and not only is there reduced electromagnetic interference because of this construction (there is also a mu-metal shield inside), there is much-reduced mechanical noise, too. She is beautiful, no?

One of the things that makes this motor so stable is the drive electronics. The ONLY brushed motor that will outperform this one is a true FG-type motor, and this one is damn-near as good. Here's a look at the drive electronics of the Pacific motor vs a typical generic (in this case, that Mabuchi motor).

I managed to break the circuit board of the Mabuchi when I took it apart. The Pacific motor has much more going on inside, including temperature compensation. Also, note that the large regulator transistor on the PS motor means you can hit it with a higher input voltage, as it is heat-sinked to the outer case.

Ever looked at the commutator and core of a typical motor? Here's the Mabuchi:

That small silver area on the right is where the brushes make contact. Think about that area spinning at 2400 RPM while you look at the next photograph, which is of the brushes in the same motor.

Note how thin those brushes are. They're about the thickness of a piece of paper. Now, take a look at the core of the Pacific Stereo motor.

Wait! Whoa... That's different! While I forgot to take a photo of the entire core, I did take one of what matters, and that's the commutator. Look at how it is constructed. Not in the same plane as the axis of rotation, but 90-degrees to it. What does this mean? Well, in a nutshell, it means that the commutator surface is spinning at a much lower rate relative to the brush contact area than that of the Mabuchi (and that of 95% of the capstan motors out there). That reduced rate of speed means three things: Reduced wear, better chance of good contact with the brush, and more opportunity for the control electronics to do their job of maintaining stability. Did I say brush? Remember the paper-thin brushes above? Well, here are the brushes in the Pacific motor.

They are thick, thick, thick, at least three times as thick as conventional brushes. The combination of slower rotation AND thicker brushes mean a much longer-lasting brush/commutator interface.

And here's what's even more terrific. These motors come apart really easily, without having to worry about damaging brushes. They're very easily lubricated and cleaned.

So that's the story of the insides of the motor. This is a very unusual and very insightful design, and the design is what makes this motor so very good.

You're probably wondering if you can use it. You very likely can, just look inside your deck. If you have a typical brush-type motor (not a direct-drive motor or deck with pitch control), and it runs on anything from 9-14.4 volts, you should be able to use this motor. I have not tested above 14.4 volts, but I don't see any reason why you couldn't go a smidge above, as the regulator transistor is heat-sinked to the outside of the motor case and the case can dissipate a significant amount of heat. There are also things you can do to reduce the supply voltage if yours is sky-high. This motor natively runs clockwise (rotation when viewed from the top). Most decks need a CCW motor, and I have to disassemble it and make a minor change to make the motor run counter-clockwise.

One thing to be aware of. Really old decks might use a pulley shaft that is larger than 0.078" (2.0mm), usually 0.098" (2.5mm). Decks that use a shaft this size are the older CT-F series (9191, 8282, etc). Some other older decks use this pulley shaft size as well. Also, the newest cheapie decks with the latest really inexpensive motors might have a thinner shaft, and you would have to find another pulley to work with this motor. If you have a deck with a 2.5mm shaft, I have a sleeve I can install over the shaft to bring its diameter to 2.5mm. This has been tested and works in the Pioneer CT-F9191, and I presume it will work in all the other Pioneer decks of that series that do not have a pitch control.

Order one?
Yes you can! If you are a TH member with at least a 90-day history and a post count of at least 20, you can have one motor for $32.95, plus $7.95 Priority Mail shipping (USA domestic. International shipping will be higher). Members who do not meet the 90-day and post requirement will pay a higher cost of $39.95 each. Want more than one? Cool! 90-day/20-post members can have two or more motors for $29.95 each. Non-qualifying members, no discounts for multiples. Shipping stays the same, up to ten motors. PayPal? Not a problem. But there is a 6% surcharge on the total amount and 6% if international. Getting you a motor for a 2.5mm shaft application requires additional work, and cost for that motor is $20 more than whatever the cost for the 2.0mm version would be based upon your status.

PM me with your quantity requirement and we'll get you set up with a motor (or two!).

Buying a motor means you are directly supporting Tapeheads. PM me with what you'd like, and specify CW or CCW.

You can't buy a better motor. And buying a motor helps Tapeheads, too! This is a LIMITED OPPORTUNITY, so don't miss out.

SPECS:

Input voltage: 9-14.4 volts, DC
Diameter: 1.54"
Case height: 1.34"
Shaft length: 0.42"
Shaft diameter: 0.078" (2.0mm, can be modified to 2.5mm)
Native rotation: CW (can be changed to CCW)
Nominal RPM: 2400
Quality: Pacific Stereo

Things to do and know:
  • Almost all "modern" decks use a motor similar to this. Mounting hole spacing on motors of this size is standardized.
  • Make sure you have adequate clearance for both the length and diameter of the UCM, and if not, look at possible ways to modify (perhaps move a board slightly or snip off a corner, required in some Nakamichis). For Pioneer Reference Master Mechanisms, you'll have to abandon the rubber-mounted plastic motor holder (if you have it) and find a set of standard rubber bushings and spacers (virtually every deck on the planet. Find a scrap unit) to mount the motor directly on the backplate.
  • This motor cannot sub for a direct-drive motor, nor can it be used in a deck with pitch control (unless you are willing to make some modifications and forgo that feature).
  • To determine if you need a clockwise or counter-clockwise motor, you need to look inside your deck and see how the motor is mounted. Most decks mount the motor on the same side of the chassis as the flywheel. If this is how yours is mounted, then in almost all cases, you need a CCW motor. If the motor is mounted on the capstan side of the chassis (most top-loaders are like this) then you need a CW motor. If there is any doubt, just observe which way the belt moves in relation to the top of the motor when the deck is playing a tape.
  • You should check the operating voltage of your motor with a simple meter. You can buy an inexpensive one from Harbor Freight Tools that will work just fine. If it is within 9-14.4 volts, you're good. Also, many motors have their operating voltage listed right on the label, so this should be easy to check. You also need to check polarity, as wire colors don't mean anything! Some decks run the motor off of the negative supply, and in this case, the UCM would be wired in reverse to what one might think. Use your meter to be sure you know the polarity of your supply.
  • If the motor supply voltage is higher than 14.4 volts, then depending upon how high it is, you can do a couple of things. You can insert 1N4004 diodes (I can supply these if you need me to) in series to lose about 0.55 volts per diode to drop the voltage to a useable level, or if it's very high, you can use a simple LM7812 three-terminal regulator in series with the motor supply, mounted to a convenient place on the chassis to take heat away from the part. I can also help you with implementing this solution.
  • Be sure to note the height of your motor pulley in relation to the top of the motor body, not the top of the motor shaft. You want to put the pulley back in the same position relative to the flywheel; the shaft on the UCM may be longer than that of the original motor.
  • Make sure that your motor shaft is 2.0mm. If you have a 2.5mm shaft, make sure you tell me and understand that the cost for this version is $20 more.

Please try to determine for yourself first if the motor will work for you. While I will be glad to try to help, I can't check the service manual for every deck on the planet to determine if this motor will be suitable. In general, if your motor is the same form-factor and has the same shaft diameter (this will be about 90% of the motors out there), you're probably good.

EDIT: Motors we know the UCM will substitute (we will add part numbers as reports come in from the field):

BFA2L36 51224-A
EG-500AD-2B, EG-530AD-2B
MHI-59RC
MMI-6A2RK, MMI-6A9MK
MMU-5B2LNL
RF-500, RF-510
RXM-022B (with modification to 2.5mm), RXM-061, RXM-069
SHL2L 50-1904F, SHE2L 55-1830A
XMI-6B2HL

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*MASS - Rap on the side of the motor case with a screwdriver and watch the speed change. Wheeeeee!

I RESTORE VINTAGE AUDIO AND VIDEO GEAR. Master technician for Concept, Quadraflex, Calibre, Pioneer and Sony. Endorsed by Richard Schram for Concept product restoration. Factory technician for both Yamaha and JVC. Sonics consultant for Denon. Pacific Stereo store manager, service manager, Central Service lead tech, liquidator at our demise. Pacific Stereo curator. Infinity IRS dealer. Music buyer for one of the first CD retailers in the USA. Authorized servicer for virtually every brand on the planet at one time or another. Music addict. Mastering & recording engineer, weaned on a Neve (no other console sounds like a Neve!). Industry-respected ears. Head Tapehead.

Need vintage audio & video repair and restoration, or unobtanium semiconductors and parts? Ask me! And do visit the website: pacificstereo.net

Last edited by Pacific Stereo; 04-04-2017 at 08:31 PM. Reason: Added additional motors to replacement list and new information
Old 04-09-2014, 02:19 PM
Tandberg fanatic

This is very cool... won't solve any of my Tandberg motor needs unfortunately, all of the ones I care about are either FG servo or AC, but it sure does address a boatload of other decks.

John
Old 04-09-2014, 02:39 PM
Dream tape never ends

OK, I SO need to see an informercial version of this post. Complete with B&W/Color comparison shots.

Jokes apart, I wonder what's the actual quality of the many motors buzzing away inside my decks
Old 04-09-2014, 02:57 PM
Serious Tapehead

Question

I have an HK CD491 and would be interested in one of your motors to keep as a backup. Currently, mine was recently serviced & is running fine, though I can hear it slightly. The two capstans are running CCW. Question: what about mounting? My deck has a Sankyo transport, which I've not had out of the machine myself. Will this motor be compatible--mounting wise--with the Sankyo? Will it be obvious which lead is POS and which is NEG? Thanks!
HK CD491, Pioneer CT-F900, Sony Walkman MZ-R70, Sony Discman D-25, Rega P2, Tascam DR100 MkII, Kenwood KA-907 integrated amp, Kenwood KT-815 tuner; Denon AVR-3803 receiver, Denon DVD-2910, NHT SB3 spkrs, NHT SB2 spkrs, Pinnacle Baby Boomer
Old 04-09-2014, 03:11 PM
Sendust for brains

This motor is compatible with Sankyo transports (Nakamichi, Yamaha, NAD, Onkyo, many others) that use a brush-type motor. The CD491 uses a direct-drive capstan motor and this motor will not replace it.

I RESTORE VINTAGE AUDIO AND VIDEO GEAR. Master technician for Concept, Quadraflex, Calibre, Pioneer and Sony. Endorsed by Richard Schram for Concept product restoration. Factory technician for both Yamaha and JVC. Sonics consultant for Denon. Pacific Stereo store manager, service manager, Central Service lead tech, liquidator at our demise. Pacific Stereo curator. Infinity IRS dealer. Music buyer for one of the first CD retailers in the USA. Authorized servicer for virtually every brand on the planet at one time or another. Music addict. Mastering & recording engineer, weaned on a Neve (no other console sounds like a Neve!). Industry-respected ears. Head Tapehead.

Need vintage audio & video repair and restoration, or unobtanium semiconductors and parts? Ask me! And do visit the website: pacificstereo.net

Last edited by Pacific Stereo; 04-12-2014 at 10:35 AM.
Old 04-09-2014, 04:54 PM
Serious Tapehead

Figures. lol
HK CD491, Pioneer CT-F900, Sony Walkman MZ-R70, Sony Discman D-25, Rega P2, Tascam DR100 MkII, Kenwood KA-907 integrated amp, Kenwood KT-815 tuner; Denon AVR-3803 receiver, Denon DVD-2910, NHT SB3 spkrs, NHT SB2 spkrs, Pinnacle Baby Boomer
Old 04-09-2014, 05:04 PM
Sendust for brains

You don't NEED a better motor. That DD motor in your transport is absolutely superb.

Old 04-09-2014, 05:42 PM
Miami Space Transit Planetarium 11/1966-8/2015

i have a mitsu dr35 3 head deck with the anyspeed option. i wonder if this will work?
Old 04-09-2014, 05:56 PM
Live Long and Prosper..

Will that motor fit in my Head V5RX Cassette deck? Leave it to Matsushita to build that. It looks like it would run a belt drive turntable.

That's the main capstan motor, right ? Not the servo motors for the functions. I have a 3 motor deck that's pretty much the norm in decks I suppose.
Old 04-09-2014, 06:11 PM
Serious Tapehead

That's a cool offering.

Last edited by Pacific Stereo; 04-12-2014 at 06:34 PM. Reason: Not germane
Old 04-09-2014, 06:46 PM
Sendust for brains

The motor should work on a DT-35, that would be a CCW application, and the DT-35 supplies about 12 volts to the motor.

On the V-5RX, TEAC does something a little weird, they drive the motor off of the negative supply, which looks to be about -16.9 volts. It looks like they use two diodes to drop voltage down 1.2 volts or so to get -15.8 volts or so to the motor. This motor SHOULD work, but I might want to add two more diodes in series with D334 and D335 to throw away another 1.2 volts or so. Sam might be able to shed some light, here. This would also be a CCW application.

Old 04-09-2014, 07:33 PM
Live Long and Prosper..

Thanks for the quick reply, I know in the future gems like this will be scarce so I was thinking of getting a pair one for the Year and one for the Sony TCK 677ES just in case. I know these motors are going to be unavailable as time passes so I was trying to plan ahead for wear items that aren't going to be availabnoe , basically heads and motors for open reel and cassette decks.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:42 PM
8-Trashed..........

Hmmm.... That looks just like the one in my Pio CT-F950, Might grab a few as spares, and maybe upgrades for my Nak BX 2 headers

/__\
Old 04-10-2014, 01:25 AM
Ghost In The Machine

Thank you for your generous and extremely helpful offering of this motor!
Old 04-10-2014, 01:38 AM
Serious Tapehead

Will this work on both my nak cassette deck one AND my Teac V9000?

If so, I'll take 2. :D Even tho the Teac was swapped out with an older motor, this one looks MUCH better...

when can we order?
Old 04-10-2014, 08:23 AM
Sendust for brains

Which Nak? AKAIK, this motor will work on all Nakamichis that use a brush type motor that looks like this. It will not work on Naks that use a direct-drive motor. The V-9000 appears to drive the capstan motor with 10 volts, so this motor should work nicely. The V-9000 will require a CCW motor, as will most (if not all) Naks.

Last edited by Pacific Stereo; 04-10-2014 at 08:46 AM.
Old 04-10-2014, 09:20 AM
Serious Tapehead

Is the mounting hole pattern universal so it fits almost anything?

"Well, art is art, isn't it? Still, on the other hand, water is water. And east is east and west is west, and if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce, they taste much more like prunes than rhubarb does. Now, uh... Now you tell me what you know."
Old 04-10-2014, 09:26 AM
Sendust for brains

Yes, the mounting holes and the shaft diameter appear to be the one thing that all the manufacturers seemed to agree on, except for early large motors and the new cheapies.

Old 04-10-2014, 11:34 AM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacific Stereo View Post
Which Nak? AKAIK, this motor will work on all Nakamichis that use a brush type motor that looks like this.
Ahh...Its the Cassette Deck 1, or CD1 for short.

Should be a similar motor to the DR1 I believe. Looks small enough and very similar to the one used on the Teac V700/V800 and V9000...

Not sure if it's CW or CCW tho...
Old 04-10-2014, 04:40 PM
Serious Tapehead

That is really sweet!

Would you like to see your company or site here?  CONTACT US
For more Tapeheads affiliates and links, see the Links and Resources page.