Tapeheads Forums

Go Back   Tapeheads Forums > Tape, Taping and Tape Machines > Reel To Reel

Reel To Reel All discussions pertaining to reel to reel decks including general usage, recording, playback, servicing tips and blank tape.

Universal Capstan Motor

Old 02-18-2014, 06:21 AM
Serious Tapehead

TC-366 Worth Saving?

We were out the other day and my wife bought me a SONY TC-366, a box of tapes and PIONEER SE-20A headphones at GW for my birthday. I put one of the tapes on the deck and the right channel was weak. Further investigation found about 575 ohms dc resistance for the left channel in the playback head and about 500 kohms (open) for the right channel. The deck isn't in bad shape, belts are decent, cosmetics are good. I've seen used whole assemblies with the heads for about $40 with shipping, NOS playback head for about $100 or 3 heads NOS for $80. Is it worth putting out the money for heads and probably belts to bring this SONY back?
Old 02-18-2014, 06:45 AM
Serious Tapehead

Depending on your expectations.
It should be a nice starting deck.
Old 02-18-2014, 07:00 AM
Serious Tapehead

Your wife bought it, I would restore and take my chances rather than risk no more cool gifts from the wife.
Old 02-18-2014, 07:20 AM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry N View Post
Your wife bought it, I would restore and take my chances rather than risk no more cool gifts from the wife.
I can invision the smile on her heart just now watching you get all excited over it. Makes it worth spending a few more pennies on!
Old 02-18-2014, 08:09 AM
audiophool deluxe

I haven't seen many Sony heads with open coils and if it was open the right channel would have no audio at all and maybe some hum. But if the head is indeed bad and the machine is in good shape otherwise its worth fixing if you can find a replacement head for a good price.

Dave
Old 02-18-2014, 10:04 AM
Serious Tapehead

Mine out performed my other deck (4000 ds), they were both pretty used up but I was very surpriced by its performance, so yes it can sound pretty good.
Old 02-18-2014, 10:07 AM
audiophool deluxe

I still have a TC-366 and recently cleaned and lubed it and it sounds very nice. This make great starter decks.

Dave
Old 02-18-2014, 10:14 AM
Serious Tapehead

Smile

They have been described as a money pits by some.
Old 02-18-2014, 10:17 AM
audiophool deluxe

Because of the shear amount of idlers these have if they are beyond cleaning it would cost more than the machine is worth to have them all rebuilt by Terry's. But if the idlers are in usable shape they are usually worth fixing.

Dave
Old 02-18-2014, 11:58 AM
Tape Cassette Abuser

Fixer up!
go for it!
Old 02-19-2014, 06:53 AM
Magneticus Maximus

I saw one of these at a pawn shop up the street. I don't remember the price, but he said it worked and I don't think it was very expensive. I have a Sony TC-765 (working) and a Tandberg 9200 (in repair) so I didn't even consider buying it for myself or to resell... If you want, I'll go find out if that Sony is still there and how much he wants for it. I can take a tape and test it too. If it works good, my thought is that you can use one for parts.

This same guy has about 1000 records, a turntable and 5 or 6 silver-era Pioneer SX receivers (incl a 1250) in his store as well. The Pioneers are collectibles for him and are not for sale, but he does have a massive looking Sansui QRX-5500 quad receiver he says works, and he'd sell for $120. Been seriously considering it...
Power: Yamaha A-510, Yamaha R-8 |Tuner: Sansui TU-217 | Speakers: Tannoy Proto-J, JBL L80T, Infinity RS-1|
Old 02-19-2014, 01:00 PM
Serious Tapehead

Hi Guys!
I've said in the past and I'll repeat it. Mr. Sony asked his engineers to come up with a machine that would meet the highest standards but be cheap(relatively) in price. As a result of that request, the TC366(and the TC377) came into being. I really feel that properly serviced and calibrated the machine really shines. If you must replace a head, look for the ferrite head that goes into a TC377.
All the best,
Leon(The Audiomayvin, Montreal(514)739-5403)
Old 02-19-2014, 11:41 PM
Jammis Archivivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_OX View Post
They have been described as a money pits by some.
That would be me, and they are. They're 40+ years old at this point. I went through a couple of belt kits( I would be inclined to try Marrs Communications now), and the main idler needs to be rebuilt. My pinch roller seems a bit stiff, too. That's about $120 to start. New heads, some caps, and it keeps on going. I have no doubt it can sound real nice, as I made a nice tape on mine once, but for the amount of money it takes, you can get a good working 10.5" deck. Since his wife got it for him, it would be rude to write it off, just be prepared for the expense.

Last edited by Jonny Ramone; 02-20-2014 at 06:50 AM.
Old 02-20-2014, 02:29 AM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrantBob View Post
We were out the other day and my wife bought me a SONY TC-366, a box of tapes and PIONEER SE-20A headphones at GW for my birthday.
Next time buy her a fur coat from Salvation Army
Old 03-24-2014, 01:45 PM
Serious Tapehead

I appreciate all of the great feedback. I looked at the 377 ferrite heads in the service manual and the part numbers are different. The manuals showed different resistances for the heads, so I figured they are probably not interchangeable. However, I was at a thrift store with my lovely wife and found a SONY TC - 377 sitting on a shelf in the back. I put a commercial tape on to test the deck (learned from my previous experience to carry my test stuff with me all the time). Sure enough, the deck sounded nice with headphones. The case was pretty rough and it needs belts. The 366 has become a donor machine (especially the nice dust cover) along with an original reel and other parts. So, the wife is happy since I am happy. I still haven't found the fur coat yet - good idea.