Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums
Universal Capstan Motor

Go Back   Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums > Tape, Taping and Tape Machines > Other Tape

Other Tape Any analog format other than cassette or reel to reel; 8-track, Elcaset, microcassette, VHS, etc.

Donate to Tapeheads!

Old 01-22-2014, 02:13 AM
Serious Tapehead

Olympus DT-100 Micro-cassette

Has any of you informations about this model?
While it seems to be on stock on some online distributors, the information is very scarce ...
I am interested more in the I/Os, and whether it is stereo (as the head image might suggest).
Old 01-29-2014, 07:07 PM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghitulescu View Post
Has any of you informations about this model?
While it seems to be on stock on some online distributors, the information is very scarce ...
I am interested more in the I/Os, and whether it is stereo (as the head image might suggest).
This world work in mysterious ways. I saw your post yesterday, and had never seen or heard of this type of Olympus MC machine. But just today, when tossing away a huge 30-year old pile of paper, some brochures of DT100 microcassette transcriber fell in my hand. Go figure?

Its the death of night here now, but I'll scan them tomorrow Ok?

LeoB
Old 01-29-2014, 07:32 PM
Miami Space Transit Planetarium 11/1966-8/2015

got a dt1000, cant help you.
Old 01-30-2014, 12:13 AM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoB1955 View Post
Its the death of night here now, but I'll scan them tomorrow Ok?

LeoB
I really appreciate it.
Old 01-31-2014, 05:19 AM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
I really appreciate it.
Hello,

There are 8 pages of stuff. Seems I have to post them one by one as TH does not accept winzip files.

I'm afraid there aren't very much about the I/O. It seems to me that the DT100 and the other two table-top models are mono device. At lest in 1985, Olympus had only two portable MC stereo recorders (Olympus6.pdf).

If you google for additional info on Olympus MC recorders, the term 'Pearlcorder' may yield more hits.

AFAIK only Aiwa, General Electric, Hitachi, JVC, Sanyo and Sony have sold or produced MC stereo decks (I've got one Sanyo RD-XM1).

May I ask why are you looking for data of such a machine?

LeoB

Ps. Better MC transports have the capstan shaft placed not in the center of the cassette as in all pocket-size MC dictation devices, but closer to take-up reel shaft like in proper CC decks.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Olympus1.pdf (893.8 KB, 21 views)
File Type: pdf Olympus2.pdf (1.09 MB, 17 views)
File Type: pdf Olympus3.pdf (1.03 MB, 16 views)
File Type: pdf Olympus4.pdf (928.3 KB, 15 views)
File Type: pdf Olympus5.pdf (916.1 KB, 14 views)
File Type: pdf Olympus6.pdf (875.3 KB, 17 views)
File Type: pdf Olympus7.pdf (686.0 KB, 17 views)
File Type: pdf Olympus8.pdf (668.2 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by LeoB1955; 01-31-2014 at 05:27 AM.
Old 01-31-2014, 05:50 AM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
May I ask why are you looking for data of such a machine?
Because I have one and I noticed two things.
One is:
Quote:
Better MC transports have the capstan shaft placed not in the center of the cassette as in all pocket-size MC dictation devices, but closer to take-up reel shaft like in proper CC decks.
it has the capstan like in a normal CC deck.

And the second is that the P/R combi head looks like being stereo.
I have other two machines, an Olympus Pearlcorder of a LoFi series, and a Panasonic RN-330.
Old 01-31-2014, 09:31 AM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Because I have one and I noticed two things.
One is:
it has the capstan like in a normal CC deck.
And the second is that the P/R combi head looks like being stereo.
I have other two machines, an Olympus Pearlcorder of a LoFi series, and a Panasonic RN-330.
I see what you mean.

The MC cassette has one hole for center capstan and two near either edges. So, even a double capstan transport is possible for MC. My Sanyo RD-XM1 also has the capstan on one side of the cassette.

As to the head mystyry, there are two possibilities: either the machine was simply fitted with two-track mono head, or a stereo head is used for picking up signal from two slices of the mono track, right? Checking the track width should solve this.

Intuitively, there must be some optimum distance between the head and the capstan - for a given size/weight of tape pack. If that distance is too long, the tape elasticity could give rise to some longitudinal resonance causing increased W&F. At 2,4 cm/sec speed, every instability is likely to increase the W&F.

If the head-to-capstan distance is too short.. then.. heck I don't know what.

LeoB

Last edited by LeoB1955; 01-31-2014 at 09:35 AM.
Old 01-31-2014, 09:57 AM
Serious Tapehead

Well, I secretly hoped that's a stereo unit, just for the fun of it. I neen either the schematics, or the pinout.

The capstan is in the middle because only one head was needed, although I've seen units with permanent magnet erase head of rotating-type.

Would you like to see your company or site here?  CONTACT US
For more Tapeheads affiliates and links, see the Links and Resources page.