Tapeheads Forums

Go Back   Tapeheads Forums > Tape, Taping and Tape Machines > Cassette

Cassette All discussions pertaining to cassette decks including general usage, recording, playback, servicing tips, and blank tape.

Universal Capstan Motor

Old 10-15-2013, 07:11 PM
TapeHeads.Net Member

Pioneer CT-F1000 and Nakamichi CR-7

Have a question of curiosity for the techs out there. I've always loved the look and build quality of the Pioneer CT-F1000 and love the recordings the Nak CR-7 makes. Anyway, what would it take to bring the Pioneer up to the recording capability of the Nak? Could it be done? Just curious? Thanks.
Old 10-16-2013, 04:41 AM
NAD's Head and Tapehead Supporter

Hmmm....if I understand it correctly you mean the Pio was better built then the CR7, but sounds bader ?

I think the long time stability of the Nakamichi CR7 was much better then, as from the Pioneer. Sound quality from stock couldn't be so bad when I hear my rebuilt CT-F1250.

So its right the opposite like you look at it. The CR7 was built like a tank, and not the deck which only looks like a tank......
Old 10-16-2013, 11:14 AM
Highly Biased

For any deck, the answer is "heads and electronics". Assuming the transport is stable and musical, head material and electronic design are what makes a deck sound a certain way.
Old 10-20-2013, 07:37 PM
TapeHeads.Net Member

Well if I could re-phrase the question. In my world and the decks I've had experience with, on a scale from 1 to 10, the CR-7 is a 10. I would put the CT-F1000 at a 7 or 8. Is there something that could be done to the CT-F1000to get it closer to the 10? I know it's all subjective, but just curious if something could be done to improve the stock performance of the Pioneer? Also, wonder if it would be cost prohibitive in upgrading a CT-F1000? Thanks.
Old 10-20-2013, 09:00 PM
Serious Tapehead

What if we put Nakamichi heads in a CT-F1000?

We would still need to upgrade the electronics a bit im sure.

Alex posted some interesting information on putting an ALPS head on a CT-F1250, which have the same mounting.
Old 10-21-2013, 03:08 AM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by sad124 View Post
Well if I could re-phrase the question. In my world and the decks I've had experience with, on a scale from 1 to 10, the CR-7 is a 10. I would put the CT-F1000 at a 7 or 8. Is there something that could be done to the CT-F1000to get it closer to the 10? I know it's all subjective, but just curious if something could be done to improve the stock performance of the Pioneer? Also, wonder if it would be cost prohibitive in upgrading a CT-F1000? Thanks.
I have no experience with the CT-F1000, however the CR-7 is only somewhere at about 5 on my personal scale 1 to 10 and the modified Pioneer CT-F1250MF with the ALPS ferrite head is somewhere on 7 or even 8, and I will take it any time over the CR-7.

Cheers

Alex
Old 10-21-2013, 06:14 AM
TapeHeads.Net Member

I saw Walkman Archive's. Nothing short of stunning. How do I get one?
Old 10-21-2013, 08:38 AM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by sad124 View Post
I saw Walkman Archive's. Nothing short of stunning. How do I get one?
He is a good photographer . Anyway, you have to be a good person for a whole year and then you write a letter to Santa - you know the drill . There is though an alternative way - PM me, but that is too straightforward, no real excitement .

Cheers

Alex
Old 12-11-2013, 06:05 PM
New To Tapeheads

Reelspin

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.N.T. View Post
I have no experience with the CT-F1000, however the CR-7 is only somewhere at about 5 on my personal scale 1 to 10 and the modified Pioneer CT-F1250MF with the ALPS ferrite head is somewhere on 7 or even 8, and I will take it any time over the CR-7.

Cheers

Alex
This is a great question that is very intriguing! I have a cosmetically mint CT-F1000 that was sent in for service several years ago. The deck was given a clean bill of health other than a report that he heads were severely worn causing diminished sound quality (to which I can concur).
Would the ALPS heads in question fit a CT-F1000? If so, what a fantastic mod that would be. To me, there is no sexier deck than the CT-F1000 and news heads would be the icing on the cake!
Old 12-12-2013, 06:16 AM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmitchnh View Post
This is a great question that is very intriguing! I have a cosmetically mint CT-F1000 that was sent in for service several years ago. The deck was given a clean bill of health other than a report that he heads were severely worn causing diminished sound quality (to which I can concur).
Would the ALPS heads in question fit a CT-F1000? If so, what a fantastic mod that would be. To me, there is no sexier deck than the CT-F1000 and news heads would be the icing on the cake!
A head replacement is not an easy operation, for the ALPS head both the PB and REC EQ would need changing, plus the head heeds to be correctly mounted. Otherwise (IMHO) it is the only available way to get the CT-F1000 with a worn original head to operate properly - even, providing that the mechanics is in a good state, operate better than with a new original head, because the ALPS ferrite head is a much more advanced head in every respect.

Cheers

Alex
Old 12-12-2013, 07:05 AM
Serious Tapehead

I've made a few wonderful-sounding recordings using my Pioneer CT-F1000. For looks, the CT-F1000 does indeed have it for me.

And a video clip of playing a mix tape I received from a friend, Miles, not long ago.

Click on image to play video:

Nando.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:06 AM
Serious Tapehead

Is a Denon DR-M 20,22,24,33,44 a possible donor for ALPS sandwish heads ?
Old 12-12-2013, 07:51 AM
Serious Tapehead

No, they are not ferrite, but hard permalloy IIRC.
Old 12-12-2013, 08:13 AM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by active View Post
Is a Denon DR-M 20,22,24,33,44 a possible donor for ALPS sandwish heads ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghitulescu View Post
No, they are not ferrite, but hard permalloy IIRC.
The heads from these Denon decks are indeed ALPS and very good ones, however only the PB section is from ferrite, the recording section is from hard permalloy and thus this head is not well suited to replace a fully ferrite head on decks like the Pioneer CT-F1000, CT-F1250 or CT-F950 as it would require changes not only in the EQ but also in the bias arrangements. Possible, certainly, but a lot more work. Also, most of these heads would require lapping on the recording side as it would be worn up to a some degree.

Cheers

Alex