Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums
High quality analog audio tape for professionals and enthusiasts alike.

Go Back   Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums > Service, Restorations, Helpful How-Tos, Parts and Manuals, Ads and More! > Pacific's Restorations

Pacific's Restorations You can see all of Pacific's vintage gear restorations here.

Donate to Tapeheads!

Old 09-18-2013, 05:10 PM
Sendust for brains

Yet another Concept 11.0, this time with lots more photos.

EDIT: Since this was written, I now do replace a number of semiconductors in areas that I did not change in earlier rebuilds.

Well, it's time for another 11.0 restore. Normally, I wouldn't do this yet again for this model, since there are already other 11.0 threads. But I noticed that in those other ones, I really didn't get as detailed as I should have. So this time, there are lots more before and after photos, which I know everyone likes. As a teaser, here's a shot of the restored beauty burning in on the bench.

This unit came to me directly from the eBay seller, instead of going to the customer and then to me. This is a good thing, because it saves both expense and a shipping cycle, which is always dangerous. However, in this case, it could very well not have been good. I contacted the seller (and so did the buyer, of course) with instructions on how to pack the unit, what to do, etc. I never heard back from the seller, and neither did the buyer. Hmmmm.

Then, the unit was marked as shipped, and the buyer was unhappy, because with no reply from the seller, he presumed it was headed to him, when it was supposed to go to me. But in a few days, the unit arrived at my location. What? Then I handled the box. Whatever was inside was obviously packed loosely and this could not be good. Here's how the idiot packed the unit:

Just about everything that could be done wrong was indeed done wrong. And I feared the worst. With trepidation, I took the unit out, and looked at it, and... it's fine. Wow! The tuning shaft is not bent (this is what normally happens when these are shipped with the knob still on), there was no contact between the unit and any surface of the box, no damage, nothing. Dang, this is the luckiest moron on the planet and he has managed to dodge both negative feedback and refund bullets.

OK, well... now that the unit has been unpacked, inspected and evaluated, we get to work. A look inside reveals the usual years of dirt and gunk.

Everything is about as I would expect, if a little bit dirtier than I would like.

OK, well, the first things we do are the power amplifiers, since these are the most unpredictably dangerous. As far as I can tell, this unit has never been serviced. This is a good thing from my perspective, as I don't have to worry about "WTF??" surprises.

These get some new semiconductors (some of the originals have silver-plated leads, and as the tarnish progresses up the leads and makes its way under the device case, the device will become leaky), a nice film cap for the input, new bias and offset pots and new set of matched input differential transistors. Notice they are now thermally coupled to each other so that offset will stay as low as possible.

Power supply is next. In the case of the 11.0, there's nothing dangerous (like some of the Pioneers) if not serviced, but it's definitely tired.

This gets fresh caps, a few new semis (not all are changed) and is ready to go.

The protection and meter board is next.

Same treatment here, new caps and in this case, a new relay, since the original was bad enough that refurbishment wasn't a good idea. And BTW, if you ever get the idea that you should try and adjust any of the pots on this board, don't. And if you do, don't come running to me for advice on how to fix the mess you have created!

So with the critical stuff done, now we can get to the other areas that need attention. Here's a look at the phono board, before.

The board gets film caps where it matters, audio-grade electrolytics in other spots and nice fresh 105-degree electrolytics in the remaining areas. This is a good-sounding phono section, and the nice thing about it is that there are no transistors that like to degrade and go leaky like in so many other units, so we can leave what's installed alone.

OK, the phono board is ready to go, and now, we should have a look at the flat amp and tone board. Here's what it looks like:

Lots of caps, lots of yucky-sounding tantalums. So we fix that. As before, no semis need to be changed on this board. And there are those sweet, sweet Wima films again. Ooooo!

The last board to be done is the AM/FM/MPX board. It looks like this:

Nothing too exciting, just new caps and some soldering touch-up. One thing some folks seem to think is that they can change caps in these sections but not do an alignment. That is not correct, alignment is absolutely required. Well, I suppose you CAN not do anything, but what you get is, well, what you get. If we perform an alignment, we can get distortion down a couple of orders of magnitude and make other major improvements. This unit now performs better than spec.

And after a 12-hour burn in, she is ready to go. Here's a look at the insides after clean-up. The top "before" is duplicated so you don't have to scroll up again.

The metal cover that goes over the AM/MPX section is not installed yet in this photo. Mmmmm, much better. And the bottom:

And parts? We got parts!

Lamps got replaced too, but they're not in the parts photo.

And....? "Heeeeeeeeeeere's Johnny!"

All images copyright ©2013 Pacific Stereo. All rights reserved. No use without prior express written authorization. If I see these on eBay, your auction will be terminiated via VERO.

I RESTORE VINTAGE AUDIO AND VIDEO GEAR. Master technician for Concept, Quadraflex, Calibre, Pioneer and Sony. Endorsed by Richard Schram for Concept product restoration. Factory technician for both Yamaha and JVC. Sonics consultant for Denon. Pacific Stereo store manager, service manager, Central Service lead tech, liquidator at our demise. Pacific Stereo curator. Infinity IRS dealer. Music buyer for one of the first CD retailers in the USA. Authorized servicer for virtually every brand on the planet at one time or another. Music addict. Mastering & recording engineer, weaned on a Neve (no other console sounds like a Neve!). Industry-respected ears. Head Tapehead.

Need vintage audio & video repair and restoration, or unobtanium semiconductors and parts? Ask me! And do visit the website: pacificstereo.net

Last edited by Pacific Stereo; 10-03-2013 at 06:28 PM. Reason: Fixed a clunky sentence.
Old 09-18-2013, 07:03 PM
Serious Tapehead

Looks incredible! What a nice restore.
Old 09-18-2013, 09:05 PM
Serious Tapehead

Iím speechless. You must have a big Trichloroethylene hot tank you dunk the whole receiver in or something to get it that clean.

Jeff
Looks like some sort of secreted resin. Yeah, but secreted from *what*?
Old 09-18-2013, 10:11 PM
Long Live Magnetic Medium

Once again,a stellar job done by you,PS!! What's the deal with Concept reasoning in not adding an AUX input anywhere in this beast?!? You'd think that they would go with at least with 2 on this behoumth.Also,what's the watts out on this beauty? Rob
Old 09-19-2013, 08:39 AM
Sendust for brains

This was a design decision that I could never exactly understand. I guess Mr. Schram figured that the second tape loop was good enough. Back when these were current, there really were only tape decks and turntables, there wasn't much else.

All of the Concept model numbers match their rated output at 8 ohms. In this case, the 11.0 is 110 WPC.

@HeadGap: I wish! That is all elbow grease, I'm afraid.

I RESTORE VINTAGE AUDIO AND VIDEO GEAR. Master technician for Concept, Quadraflex, Calibre, Pioneer and Sony. Endorsed by Richard Schram for Concept product restoration. Factory technician for both Yamaha and JVC. Sonics consultant for Denon. Pacific Stereo store manager, service manager, Central Service lead tech, liquidator at our demise. Pacific Stereo curator. Infinity IRS dealer. Music buyer for one of the first CD retailers in the USA. Authorized servicer for virtually every brand on the planet at one time or another. Music addict. Mastering & recording engineer, weaned on a Neve (no other console sounds like a Neve!). Industry-respected ears. Head Tapehead.

Need vintage audio & video repair and restoration, or unobtanium semiconductors and parts? Ask me! And do visit the website: pacificstereo.net
Old 09-19-2013, 09:25 AM
Cassetticus Maximus

PS -- Do you wire-wrap all those pole connections again or install something more firm and solid? Nice work btw!

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:40 AM
Sendust for brains

That's one of the beautiful things about these particular units. Those poles are connectorized, not wire-wrapped like the Pioneers.

Last edited by Pacific Stereo; 09-26-2013 at 08:00 AM. Reason: Missing the period.
Old 09-21-2013, 01:31 AM
Serious AudioHead

Another sparkler from P.S.! The 11.0 is one of my favorite receivers.
Old 09-21-2013, 10:26 AM
Serious Tapehead

The only problem I have with your restorations is that one of them is not mine!

Although I am more than able to do this myself, it's always nice to see such detailed and loving work.

Marc
Old 09-23-2013, 01:41 AM
TapeHeads Newbie

Location: AMX Birthplace/Oldest Velodrome/Miss America Laura K
Concept 11.0 Restoration

Forever Grateful, bnD;

I am a "Newbie" and need guidance. With the help of two wonderful mentors "My Concept 11.0" is this unit... Thank you(s) go out to Dick for sending me to Pacific for this truly beautiful restoration, SO GLAD that this Concept 11.0 is going to be loved for many more years.

Does anyone have a suggestion for CD players?

The Guess Who

Last edited by Pacific Stereo; 09-23-2013 at 08:54 AM.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:55 AM
Sendust for brains

Well, this is a first. I don't think I've ever had a customer join the site and then comment on his own restore before. How fun!

Old 09-26-2013, 05:44 AM
TapeHeads.Net Member

Superb work. I love when restorations are done to this very high standard
Old 01-08-2016, 09:43 PM
Sendust for brains

Working on a third 11.0 from a repeat customer (it's such a great feeling when folks come back again for different work on different products) and during the initial evaluation, this one took a much longer time than normal to come out of protection. I expected to find a bunch of DC on an output, which was probably taking a long time to settle down. But this wasn't the case. offset was just fine, right at power-up. I scratched my head and made a note to chase this during the rebuild and see what was going on.

Well, I got around to the protection circuits tonight and had a look. There are three 220 uF capacitors on this board, one of which controls the time constant for the protection relay at power-up.

And there they are. The larger one is the one that sets the delay. But why is it larger? It's the same part, same value, same voltage.

Except is isn't. It's a mismarked 470uF capacitor, stuffed in a spot that calls for 220uF, and more than likely not a 16-volt part. For its entire life, this set had taken more than twice as long to come out of protection as it should. I don't think I have ever seen a mismarked capacitor before. I wonder how many of these got into sets in the wrong places?

Old 01-09-2016, 09:12 PM
Sendust for brains

Ka-BOOOM!

Here's another surprise on this one. Buried under the wires at the main bridge is a blown-up suppression cap. Never seen this before, either.

This must have made a noise and a smell, and the owner probably inspected the unit when it occured, found out it was still working, and went on his way.

New caps for all four at a higher voltage rating is the order of the day.

Would you like to see your company or site here?  CONTACT US
For more Tapeheads affiliates and links, see the Links and Resources page.