Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums
Universal Capstan Motor

Go Back   Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums > Service, Restorations, Helpful How-Tos, Parts and Manuals, Ads and More! > Pacific's Restorations

Pacific's Restorations You can see all of Pacific's vintage gear restorations here.

Donate to Tapeheads!

Old 08-23-2013, 02:50 PM
Sendust for brains

Marantz 1060 Integrated Amplifier... reborn!

Just got done with a Marantz 1060 integrated that I thought you all might like to see. This one came in working, but had some issues, not the least of which was that it was just coated in nicotine. By far this one is the worst I have ever seen. As usual, I forgot to take as many "before" pictures as I should, but let's jump right in. Here's a look at the inside of the unit.

This thing just positively reeks of tobacco and nicotine. It actually doesn't look too bad in this photo, but close-ups will reveal a different story. The bottom plate looks like this:

You would not believe how much solvent and elbow grease it takes to get that crud off of there. And this stuff is everywhere, on every surface, on and in every component, all over the place. Here's a look at the amplifier board.

And...

And...

Gack! This is just yucky. And notice that some things are just a little bit off. Yes, this amp has been repaired, and you can see that on the left, the emitter resistors have been changed to carbon parts (of the wrong value, no less). The output devices were changed as well, but they're the correct ones. So the first thing we do is scrub the crap out of this board. And then we do some refurb. It gets all new semiconductors. Most are upgrades, though since I have those NEC 2SA606/2SC959 new, I installed the same parts in this section, since otherwise we would have had to use different heat sinks. It also gets the correct original emitter resistors, new bias and center-adjust pots, new caps and a few other passives. Oh, yeah, there's that nasty glue all over the place that has to be removed, too.

The heatsink and the output devices are dirty, plus the transistors need to be re-greased. So I remove all the parts, scrub the metal and put 'em back on.

The next board to get done is the power supply board, which looks like this before:

Very sophisticated! Not a lot going on here. Scrub, new caps, new semis and a couple of resistors. And of course, glue banishment.

At this point, it all gets put back together and I test. Good! Move on...

The next stage is the flat amp. It's in the same condition, of course.

What's interesting is that there have been several incarnations of this amplifier, and this one definitely does not match the service manual that I have. Another good reason to not try to order parts from parts lists! This gets new semis, a combination of film, audio grade and nice 105c caps, glue removal and that sort of thing.

Now, we should fix the tone board. This unit has got a control for the bass that spins around and makes horrible noise. I suspect an unrepairable condition. And I would be right.

Oh, no. See where the wiper is (at the bottom, all twisted up)? So I have to dig into the parts bin for a replacement Marantz control, which I have, fortunately. No shots of that board, since there's nothing to see, really. But there's another problem to deal with. Take a look at the panel.

See something funny? Yes, the volume control doesn't have any knurls on it. It's been replaced by a Radio Shack dual-pot (this is not a bad pot, BTW, except for low-end tracking) and the unit had a Radio Shack aluminum knob on it, too. Well, the customer supplied an original knob, but you can't use it with this part. And I don't have any more 100K Marantz dual pots to stick in there. So....? We get clever. Here's a look at the two knobs.

The Radio Shack knob clamps the control shaft with a set screw. Take a look at the bottoms of the two knobs.

What are we going to do? Why, we're going to put the innards of the Radio Shack knob inside the Marantz knob. We carefully gut the inside of the Marantz knob, make it flat, carefully drill a hole on the side, and this is what it looks like before the insert goes inside:

And the final version. Voila!

Not bad! Now, it will look original. One of the things the tech did when he replaced the volume control was to be incredibly lazy. Instead of redressing and dealing with wires that needed to go to different places than they did before, he did this:

Whoa! All of those grounds are extended, tied together, exposed, flopping around, signal wires are extended... really? Dude, seriously? We fix all that (sorry, this view is now from the other side) and make it better.

The phono stage is next. This sample differs significantly from the schematic, one of the changes being these giant film caps installed where the schematic says electrolytics of a different value are supposed to be. And this one has those leaky 2SC458s that technicians like so much.

What a difference 40 years makes. The replacement film caps are exactly the same value and are actually a higher voltage than the ones they replace. Normally I don't replace film capacitors, as there's no need to. But these had glue underneath them and putting them back in would have been a hassle, so they got changed for modern parts. More semis and such, too. The phono stage is now about an order of magnitude quieter and sounds much better.

Is there anything else? Oh, yes! The inside after it's all done. New filter and output caps, of course. The push switches were all disassembled and each surface and contact intensively cleaned and treated.

Here's before again, just so you don't have to scroll all the way up to compare.

And the bottom after it's all done, looks like this:

If you look closely, you'll see some thump-reducing resistors added near the output coupling caps.

And the world-famous Pile-O-Parts:

Of course no Pacific restore thread would be complete without THESE:

Yes, the cover has been painted white (not by me). Looks rather polar, but not too bad!

Here's the back:

And one more:

This owner is going to be very happy with his Marantz.

All photos copyright 2013, Pacific Stereo. No use without express written permission.

I RESTORE VINTAGE AUDIO AND VIDEO GEAR. Master technician for Concept, Quadraflex, Calibre, Pioneer and Sony. Endorsed by Richard Schram for Concept product restoration. Factory technician for both Yamaha and JVC. Sonics consultant for Denon. Pacific Stereo store manager, service manager, Central Service lead tech, liquidator at our demise. Pacific Stereo curator. Infinity IRS dealer. Music buyer for one of the first CD retailers in the USA. Authorized servicer for virtually every brand on the planet at one time or another. Music addict. Mastering & recording engineer, weaned on a Neve (no other console sounds like a Neve!). Industry-respected ears. Head Tapehead.

Need vintage audio & video repair and restoration, or unobtanium semiconductors and parts? Ask me! And do visit the website: pacificstereo.net

Last edited by Pacific Stereo; 08-25-2013 at 10:45 AM. Reason: typo.
Old 08-23-2013, 05:36 PM
Serious Tapehead

Very nice! You do fine work.
Old 08-23-2013, 06:39 PM
Long Live Magnetic Medium

Fine work indeed there PS!!! Do you by chance know the watts-out on this beauty?? Rob
Old 08-23-2013, 06:41 PM
Chief Knob Twister

Fantastic.

That little trick you did with the knob, I did on my Carver receiver. The plastic part of the knob that goes around the shaft of the switch must oxidize or something, and they just eventually break. So I found the smallest knobs in the Newark catalog that fit in that switch shaft and I cut away all the junk in the Carver knobs, and epoxied the new part in its place.

Then I discovered a guy on Ebay who sells aluminum replacements made to replace the very knobs I was jury-rigging. Will order soon.
Old 08-23-2013, 07:39 PM
Sendust for brains

This one measures out at 38 WPC at 8 ohms, both channels driven, before clipping. I've seen some people quote some pretty iffy numbers for these, like 50 watts. Maybe, with only one channel driven and a high line voltage.

This one came in a little better than I expected it to.

I RESTORE VINTAGE AUDIO AND VIDEO GEAR. Master technician for Concept, Quadraflex, Calibre, Pioneer and Sony. Endorsed by Richard Schram for Concept product restoration. Factory technician for both Yamaha and JVC. Sonics consultant for Denon. Pacific Stereo store manager, service manager, Central Service lead tech, liquidator at our demise. Pacific Stereo curator. Infinity IRS dealer. Music buyer for one of the first CD retailers in the USA. Authorized servicer for virtually every brand on the planet at one time or another. Music addict. Mastering & recording engineer, weaned on a Neve (no other console sounds like a Neve!). Industry-respected ears. Head Tapehead.

Need vintage audio & video repair and restoration, or unobtanium semiconductors and parts? Ask me! And do visit the website: pacificstereo.net

Last edited by Pacific Stereo; 08-25-2013 at 10:45 AM.
Old 08-24-2013, 01:32 PM
Serious Tapehead

Does all that smoke and nicotine make it into the pots? If so, does it very destroy them?
Stereo System:Technics 1200 w/ Denon 110,Luxman K-03,JVC KD a 77 HK 491,The ultra rare JVC nr-50 super anrs box!,Acoustat 2+2 speakers,Hafler XL 280 ampHome Theater:11 modded LX5II realisticspeakers,Infinity ssw212 sub,Outlaw 750 sub,Denon 11.1 4311 receiver,Panny 220bluray,Denon sacd/dvda player,Samsung 72" dlp w/ full 3d setup
Old 08-24-2013, 04:44 PM
Sendust for brains

It gets everywhere. The pots in this unit were intensively cleaned, treated and preserved.

Old 08-26-2013, 02:33 PM
TapeHeads Newbie

I used to have a 1060 years ago. I wad never keen on the capacitor coupled output stage.
It did however have a smooth tone and 38 watts is what I measured into 8 ohms both channels driven.
Dont leave delicate headphones pluged in on power up as the high offset ruined a pair of mine.
Old 08-26-2013, 03:49 PM
Miami Space Transit Planetarium 11/1966-8/2015

I smelled vintage stereo in an empty house across the street a few years back. I finally met the new owner and asked if there was any old gear in the house. She invited me in and i brought home a 1060 that stereorob now has.

they sure look nice restored.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:17 PM
Tapeheads Supporter

They are indeed a very pretty integrated amp. Nice job, Pac!
ReVox PR99, ReVox B77, Marantz PMD-430, Pioneer CT-F900, VPI HW-Jr w/Mk III platter/SME 3009/Denon DL304, Phonomena, Apple Mac Mini, Tascam UH-7000, Exposure 2010s, LSA 1s/Definitive Tech sub, Nordost/Vampire Wire
Old 08-28-2013, 08:41 PM
Serious Tapehead

Another beautiful restore. Nice job Pacific!

Jeff
Old 09-03-2013, 05:03 PM
Serious Tapehead

awesome looking & I'm sure awesome sounding. Too pretty inside to put a cover on it though! Back in the day I bought a new 2325 and a buddy's younger brother bought a new 2270. Unfortunately I lost the 2325 in a warehouse fire where I had stored it but my buddy's brother recently gave me his old 2270. It actually sounds fine but needs a good cleaning up, some deoxit, and some new lamps. Then it will go into a spare room with some KLH 23's he also gave me.
RTR: ReVox B77 & A77mkIV, Akai GX-370D, TEAC A-1230 | CASSETTE: TASCAM 122mkII, Nakamichi CR-3A, Carver TD-1700 | TURNTABLES: ReVox B795, Denon DP45-F | PREAMP: Carver C-5(modded) | TUNER: Sangean HDT-1X | POWER AMP: Emotiva XPA-2 G2 | CD: Pioneer PD-F27 ELITE Jukebox | SPEAKERS: Carver Amazing Line Source, Phasetech Power 10 sub | EQ: Soundcraftsmen RP2215-R | HEADPHONE AMP:Schiit Valhalla | HEADPHONES:Sennheiser HD650, Beyerdynamic DT770-pro-250ohm | DAC:Schiit Modi2
Old 09-04-2013, 12:23 PM
TapeHeads Supporter

That is one great big piece of awesome work. Nice trick with the knob.
Old 09-04-2013, 03:24 PM
Serious Tapehead

Hey Ho Pacific

I really enjoyed your thread, the pics and the words.

You are the Toscanini of vintage restores.

Now why aren't you my neighbour? I've got some Grundig heavy metal here needing attention. Two pieces. An amplifier and its matching tuner....

Go well.

dauphine
Old 09-04-2013, 07:02 PM
Sendust for brains

Wow, no one has ever called me Toscanini before...! Thanks for the complement. Yes, unfortunately you are a bit far from me to take those Grundigs of yours on.

Old 09-05-2013, 11:20 AM
Underground Audiophile

nice job pacific! I have a 1060 I got from Ke4Mcl awhile back. still had the plastic guard on the front of it. sounds great. I did some cosmetic restoration to mine, but of it will never look as good as yours cause I don't have a side of a mountain to photo it on that's a lot of caps to replace.. looks like ill be facing that task pretty soon with mine. the white cabinet is actually kinda pretty! if mine had bad contact paper/fake wood id do that to mine. again beautiful restoration! A++++!!!!!!!

facebook profile: http://www.facebook.com/bobby.beaumont3 | Google Plus: https://plus.google.com/u/0/110053519649392668652/about
Old 09-17-2013, 11:36 AM
TapeHeads Newbie

restore marantz 1060 with lung cancer

hey pacific stereo,
what a job you did on that piece. it was remarkable how much the appearance changed. if that is an example of pacific stereo normal repairs it's for sure customers are getting a quality product. good repair work today is waining, nobody is going into the trades. I guess if you can't push a button and fix it, it's too hard. you mentioned while talking about the Marantz,solvent had to scrub. could you tell us what kind of solvent and what you scrubbed with? I understand if you wish not to disclose these items.
Old 09-17-2013, 12:52 PM
Serious Tapehead

I always liked this kind of salvaging.
Good work.
Old 09-18-2013, 09:05 AM
Sendust for brains

Toadman, I mostly use denatured alcohol for this, though there can be a need for other more aggressive solvents on occasion. And this unit is definitely an example of what my customers always get. I treat every unit as if it belonged to me and I were going to keep it for myself.

Last edited by Pacific Stereo; 10-03-2013 at 05:45 PM.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:10 AM
TapeHeads Newbie

Fairly NOOB question here (and first post on TH)....

how much did/are you selling this restored 1060 for?

I am in the market for one, and have a lead. Its in good condition, didnt need any restoration work, but has been cleaned and serviced.

I was about to get a 1060B, but the guy has been stringing me along. Probably for too long, because I did some more research and now am leaning towards paying a few more bucks to get a 1060 instead of the 1060B.

Thanks! Restoration looks quite amazing!

Would you like to see your company or site here?  CONTACT US
For more Tapeheads affiliates and links, see the Links and Resources page.