Tapeheads Forums

Go Back   Tapeheads Forums > Tape, Taping and Tape Machines > Cassette > Blank Cassette Tape

Blank Cassette Tape All aspects of blank tape; quality, characteristics, experiences, use and storage.

Universal Capstan Motor

Old 01-08-2009, 06:25 PM
Magneticus Maximus

Sony Super Metal Masters

Are these really that good?

16 Sony Super Metal Masters
Old 01-08-2009, 06:35 PM
Site Supporter

I have the standard Metal Masters.
They are a great tape and the Supers may be the best Sony put out.
50 bucks is too rich for my blood for a tape I would open and use.
I don't collect tapes,I use them.I am a bad person.
Old 01-08-2009, 06:52 PM
Magneticus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rat44 View Post
I don't collect tapes,I use them.I am a bad person.
I hear ya... Any sealed tape I have will eventually be opened and used by me.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:00 PM
sheddin' oxide

I should know this, but how much did these retail for when new?
CD-R: Pioneer PDR-509. Philips CDR-785.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:24 PM
Serious Tapehead

I think it was around $20. Back in the early 90's, a hi-fi store here in town sold the Sony Metal Master cassettes for about $11-$12/each.
Old 01-09-2009, 12:12 AM
Reelin' in the years

I've noticed these in the past couple of days too.

Thing is, SSMM's cost has risen steadily due to perceived exclusivity and desire - if ever it were different.

I think the seller is on to a winner as batches of 90 minute tapes this large are few and far between, the 60's being easier to find and somewhat cheaper, relatively speaking.

As these are considered the best cassettes out there by some, the cumulative cost, although high, when broken down isn't unreasonable.
I've seen single sealed examples reach $100 or more.

Maybe the bidder is a collector or a Tapehead who'll sell off some to recoup the initial outlay.

Last edited by stuartypoorty; 03-19-2011 at 01:37 PM.
Old 01-09-2009, 04:25 PM
Banned

Jaetee,
This are the best Sony has many people prefer this Super Metal tape better than TDK MA-R and MA-XG. The sound tends to be some sweet but very detail. I own a few and thank God the highest I paid was 30.00. I like how they sound with Jazz on my CR-7A. If you wonder if it sounds better than the SMM the answer is yes. But to me the best metal tape is the TDK MA-XG newer style. I also seen a single tape go for 100.00.
I think I want to start a thread who has the most Super Metal, SSMM, TDK MA-R, TDK MA-XG, and Maxell Metal Vertex.
Angel
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaeTee View Post
Are these really that good?

16 Sony Super Metal Masters
Old 01-09-2009, 05:08 PM
Inactive

They are very good tapes, when you start getting into these Sony's, TDK MA-XG's, Maxell Vertex and the Denon MG-X's you're at the top. Lot's of factors start coming into play, you can hear not only the cassette decks sound but, differances in the TT/arm/cartridge, digital DAC's, interconnects and pre-amp used. I won 3 awhile back, I've had too much going on to do a through test with all of the above that I have handy. With the limited messing around I've done, I put them under the older TDK's and the Vertex, they sound very similiar to the Denon's but that's just my .
Old 01-09-2009, 06:50 PM
Banned

Stuwee,
The Denon sounds similar but not to the same detail. I think that the similarity is on the sweet sound, but the Denon does it more profound and a little to much for my taste. This is the reason why the Denon MG X is the tape that I own the least. And I also don't consider to be in the same caliber as the SSMM, and TDK MA-XG.
Angel
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuwee View Post
they sound very similiar to the Denon's but that's just my .
Old 01-09-2009, 11:21 PM
Serious Tapehead

Super-Metals

My favourite super-metal is the Sony Super Metal Master (I have mainly the 60 length).

I have a few of the MA-XG (new type) and really, they can't be faulted. They are easier to calibrate. The one I don't know at all is Taiyo Yuden's "That's Metal Suono" although I have read about it...

I have an unopened Vertex and MG-X but I have heard both on friends systems.

I must say, that the gap between good metals (when competently used) and the super-metals is not always very great. (i.e. I like Maxell MX, MX-S, Hitachi ME, and TDK MA-X nearly as much). However, I do think that the SSMM stands out. I have not used a Sony Metal ES, but I hear it is top-flight.

I have a comparative test by Audio World mag somewhere on MA-XG, SSMM and Maxell Metal Vertex. I will hunt around this weekend and put it up here.

Cheers - Marc
Old 01-09-2009, 11:35 PM
FeCr Type III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Hugo View Post
I have a comparative test by Audio World mag somewhere on MA-XG, SSMM and Maxell Metal Vertex. I will hunt around this weekend and put it up here.
I'd love to see that. These tapes weren't even in my scope when they were out. I wish I tried one of each back then.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:24 AM
Magneticus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by braxus View Post
I'd love to see that. These tapes weren't even in my scope when they were out. I wish I tried one of each back then.
I'd like to see that comparison too. Back when I was really making a lot of tapes on a regular basis my budget was limited to Maxell XLII, XLII-S and sometimes their TDK counterparts. Those tapes still sound great, by the way...

I'm just now beginning to acquire and play around with metal tapes.
Old 01-10-2009, 03:56 PM
Banned

Hello Marc,

Quote:
My favourite super-metal is the Sony Super Metal Master (I have mainly the 60 length).

The Sony SMM rae great tapes and I test 60 and 90 and the 90 sound better than the 60. And yes it is in the top 3 Super metal.

I have a few of the MA-XG (new type) and really, they can't be faulted. They are easier to calibrate. The one I don't know at all is Taiyo Yuden's "That's Metal Suono" although I have read about it...

You are not missing anything at all with the Suono, it is not a Super Metal but is decent.

You need to open one of each and Enjoy!

I must say, that the gap between good metals (when competently used) and the super-metals is not always very great. (i.e. I like Maxell MX, MX-S, Hitachi ME, and TDK MA-X nearly as much). However, I do think that the SSMM stands out. I have not used a Sony Metal ES, but I hear it is top-flight.

The Sony Metal ES will never come close to the SSMM. And yes that is what is all about the suddent small differences in the sound. For example my CR-7A is calibrated to the SSMM and man sounds so good that a praise my Dragon and is just as good.

Now you have to show the results, but let's say 3 machines of the same are calibrated to the Vertex and another to the MA-XG and another to the SSMM I bet that the differences are subtle. The key here is the calibration to the tape. Also what this tapes will give is the micro nuances that the others won't.
Enjoy the music.
Angel
Cheers - Marc
Old 01-10-2009, 04:09 PM
Banned

The Sony SMM are great tapes and I test 60 and 90 and the 90 sound better than the 60. And yes it is in the top 3 Super metal.

Quote:
You are not missing anything at all with the Suono, it is not a Super Metal but is decent

Quote:
You need to open one of each and Enjoy!

Quote:
The Sony Metal ES will never come close to the SSMM. And yes that is what is all about the suddent small differences in the sound. For example my CR-7A is calibrated to the SSMM and man sounds so good that a praise my Dragon and is just as good.

Quote:
Now you have to show the results, but let's say 3 machines of the same are calibrated to the Vertex and another to the MA-XG and another to the SSMM I bet that the differences are subtle. The key here is the calibration to the tape. Also what this tapes will give is the micro nuances that the others won't.
Enjoy the music.
Angel

Quote:

Cheers - Marc
Old 01-10-2009, 04:10 PM
Banned

Marc,
I got it right this time.
Angel
Old 01-10-2009, 07:04 PM
Banned

The 16 Sony SMM are 801.00 now that is 50.00 each. I feel rich!
Angel
Old 01-10-2009, 08:34 PM
FeCr Type III

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamhifi View Post
The 16 Sony SMM are 801.00 now that is 50.00 each. I feel rich!
Angel
Didn't that price just pass what Matts "super" auction was listing at before he pulled it?
Old 01-10-2009, 08:40 PM
5/12/2008 - 10/2/2014

I don't know where it was at before it ended. But there was a high proxy of about $1300 in there. So who knows.

As far as I was concerned, that didn't even cover the Vertex's, let alone the other 45 tapes.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:18 PM
FeCr Type III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Des-Lab View Post
I don't know where it was at before it ended. But there was a high proxy of about $1300 in there. So who knows.

As far as I was concerned, that didn't even cover the Vertex's, let alone the other 45 tapes.
Yes your auction was definately worth more dollars. Last figure I saw on it was around $600. I don't know if it went up beyond that, but I noticed you pulled it the next time I checked.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:51 AM
Magneticus Maximus

DES, I'm thinking that if you were serious about selling those tapes, you'd have probably broken that set up into four separate auctions. One for each type of tape.... I definitely think that you'd get much more overall in that case. Each type of tape has its particular fans.

WOW, I just checked the SSMM auction and its up over $960 now! Looks like this will proably hit the $1k mark!