Tapeheads Forums

Go Back   Tapeheads Forums > Tape, Taping and Tape Machines > Cassette

Cassette All discussions pertaining to cassette decks including general usage, recording, playback, servicing tips, and blank tape.

Universal Capstan Motor

Old 05-14-2013, 06:11 AM
Serious Tapehead

Tascam 122 MkII vs All Naks?

Hi all,

It was suggested to me yesterday that a Tascam 122 MkII (not III) would hold it's own against any Nakamichi regardless of price.

Anyone here agree with this statement?

Just curious.
Goodrat
Old 05-14-2013, 06:51 AM
Serious Tapehead / Contributor

Doubtful. It's a good deck, but there are just better Nakamichis out there.
Sony TC-K7II, TC-WE625
Yamaha KX-930, KX-W952.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:14 AM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodrat View Post
Hi all,

It was suggested to me yesterday that a Tascam 122 MkII (not III) would hold it's own against any Nakamichi regardless of price.

Anyone here agree with this statement?

Just curious.
Goodrat
I have a Nakamichi Dragon and a Tascam 112 Mark II but I also have a Tascam Mark III that Skywabe (Sam) has right now and I must say they are great decks but I don't have a 122MarkII. I must say that the Tascam line is excellent and it is hard to compare them as they have different features but the Tascam line is excellent in my humble opinion.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:05 AM
Magneticus Maximus

I have a collection of Naks, but am always on the lookout for a nice version of that particular Tascam deck.

I have a good friend in the area here (also a TH member, just not very active) who has a Tascam 122 MKII. We swap tapes from time to time and I must admit that his deck makes WONDERFUL sounding tapes. His mix tapes sound great on my Naks, and my Nak RX-505 recorded tapes sound great on his deck as well.

I'd like to hook one up in my system and do some same-system comparisons.

One of these day's I'll try to talk him into bringing it over...
Power: Yamaha A-510, Yamaha R-8 |Tuner: Sansui TU-217 | Speakers: Tannoy Proto-J, JBL L80T, Infinity RS-1|
Old 05-14-2013, 08:13 AM
Skywave Tape Deck Repair

I like Teac decks- I have been a fan of their products for a long time even without working there. However as anyone in the service business knows who works on tape decks and does actual measurements, you can not beat Nakamichi heads. However after re-belting a 482 I have to say what a federal case! I put the belt kit in from Marrs and it took me 2 hours and then another to deal with the Pinch Rollers that do not come up. I had no idea what a pain this unit was going to be and I have not even calibrated it yet.
I would say that if you wanted to do battle with a Teac- at least a good one you would need to beat it with a better grade Nak unit like a ZX or something other than a BX100.
The heads put into a unit can make a big difference which is proven in the Nakamichi product line.

Sam Palermo, BSEE, past Broadcast Engineer
Skywave Tape Deck Repair- Chicago area
(630)616-0932 Office/ 708-334-2260 Cell, E mail:skywavebe@sbcglobal.net
Past Teac/Tascam Lead Service Technician at Chicago Factory Service still doing repairs.
http://www.thumbtack.com/il/bensenvi...tascam-repairs
Need Tape? http://www.splicit.com/index.html, The BEST SM are from Stereomanuals.com!
Old 05-14-2013, 11:36 AM
TapeHeads.Net Member

I can only speak for my Tascam 122 (no "Mk") and I just compared a recording that I made on it using a TDK SA-X to it's digital original. I RMS-level-matched both recordings to about 0.2 dB accuracy in Pro Tools and I have to say that the 122 did a more than great job here. Almost indistinguishable from the original aside from just a little bass drop (I'd say about 0.5-1 dB maximum from below 300 Hz or so) and a little high end compression from about 4 KHz and up. All with just Dolby B/HXPro, standard speed and preset bias.

If anything gets significantly closer to the original source than this (and considering I did not even use Dolby C or S or metal tapes and the deck is not in a perfect shape), I don't want to see the words "lofi" and "cassette" in the same sentence anymore :-):
Old 05-14-2013, 12:01 PM
Serious Tapehead

Heresy I say, Heresy!!!
How dare you even to challenge the Nakamichi's supremacy?

Anyway, there is a reason why Tascams populate the studios ....
Old 05-14-2013, 02:22 PM
Skywave Tape Deck Repair

What would that be?
Maybe because of the marketing? Having been in the broadcast field where radio used a few cassette decks, Kent T as well, I can tell you that if I call up Broadcasters General Store pr BSW or Crouse Kimsey and say I want to buy a good Cassette deck what would they offer me? Tascam, Marantz, Denon but never a Nakamichi. I think Nakamichi has something to do with this and that is the major reason they were not there in a big way.
I know eventually they came in with the MR1 and MR2 which I have worked on at stations, but they were not all that plentiful. Even Frasier Crane had a Tascam in his studio.
I still work some in radio stations of the low watt type that still have cassettes that go on the air.

Sam Palermo, BSEE, past Broadcast Engineer
Skywave Tape Deck Repair- Chicago area
(630)616-0932 Office/ 708-334-2260 Cell, E mail:skywavebe@sbcglobal.net
Past Teac/Tascam Lead Service Technician at Chicago Factory Service still doing repairs.
http://www.thumbtack.com/il/bensenvi...tascam-repairs
Need Tape? http://www.splicit.com/index.html, The BEST SM are from Stereomanuals.com!
Old 05-14-2013, 03:42 PM
Serious Tapehead

Smile

The BBC used Tascam cassette decks because they are a workhorse,I dont think a top end Nak deck could take the constant hammer ..........

Once saw a ex BBC professional Philips reel to reel and the tape guides where nearly worn through.
Old 05-14-2013, 04:00 PM
Serious Tapehead

I've dealt with Tascam decks in the studio earlier in my career. Doesn't come near Naks in my opinion. I used to have a bunch I bought new. All gone now.

What populates recording studios does not equate to best quality. And that includes musicians.
Old 05-14-2013, 04:23 PM
Nakamichi Spoken Here

OOHHHH...low blow....LOL..I think though that is likely true for most industries, ultimate sure fire, work at any cost, never equates to the best sound, video, speed, photo, engine, etc, etc. You have to exactly define what you mean by "best".
Old 05-14-2013, 04:28 PM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by perry View Post
OOHHHH...low blow....LOL..I think though that is likely true for most industries, ultimate sure fire, work at any cost, never equates to the best sound, video, speed, photo, engine, etc, etc. You have to exactly define what you mean by "best".
I still have hope for the sports business where merit is rewarded... I digress. This is just my opinion. I only keep my MR-1 in my recording studio now.

And my opinion on Tascam decks are not unique. I just mastered at a studio with an engineer that's worked with EVERYONE! Elton John, Whitney Houston and on and on. He laughed at Tascam decks...
Old 05-14-2013, 06:53 PM
TapeHeads.Net Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywavebe View Post
What would that be?
Maybe because of the marketing? Having been in the broadcast field where radio used a few cassette decks, Kent T as well, I can tell you that if I call up Broadcasters General Store pr BSW or Crouse Kimsey and say I want to buy a good Cassette deck what would they offer me? Tascam, Marantz, Denon but never a Nakamichi. I think Nakamichi has something to do with this and that is the major reason they were not there in a big way.
I know eventually they came in with the MR1 and MR2 which I have worked on at stations, but they were not all that plentiful. Even Frasier Crane had a Tascam in his studio.
I still work some in radio stations of the low watt type that still have cassettes that go on the air.
Reliability. We operated Tascams 122s 24h/7 in broadcast and they led a very hard life. I dont know many decks that would survive like that. None of my consumer grade decks would have (technics, marantz, sony, yamaha, onkyo, teac, nak, pioneer). You have to have a model designed for broadcast to be used in broadcast. And that includes XLR balanced input/output.

Of course that was back then. I dont know many stations still using tape. Although, I would think you have to keep at least a pair on premise in case somebody shows up for an interview with some music on tape, since it is currently considered hip to do so.

Francois
Old 05-14-2013, 07:17 PM
Is it analog?

I saw a tascam tape deck from a radio station, all the function markings on the buttons wore off it before it stopped working.
Cassette Decks: Nakamichi BX-1/JVC TD-V661/Denon DR-F7/Harman Kardon TD 420/Marantz SD 530/Akai GXC-325D/Yamaha KX-530/K-340/K-220/Technics RS-TR155/Kenwood KX-3510/Pioneer CT-350/Car Deck Alpine TDA-7552E / Realistic TR-882 (8-Track). Amps: Pioneer SA-5300/Kenwood KR-4020A/Pioneer VSX-D511. Turntables: Thorens TD 160 Super/TD 165. Sorry CD, these sound better! http://www.youtube.com/user/gato92994