Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums
Universal Capstan Motor

Go Back   Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums > Service, Restorations, Helpful How-Tos, Parts and Manuals, Ads and More! > Pacific's Restorations

Pacific's Restorations You can see all of Pacific's vintage gear restorations here.

Donate to Tapeheads!

Old 04-25-2013, 05:24 PM
Sendust for brains

A look inside a Lafayette LR-9090 receiver

I had a 9090 come across the bench a few days ago, and I must admit that I have never seen one of these before. They're beauties!

This one was working, but had an intermittent channel and the owner wanted a partial restore done. I was hoping that I could nail down the OEM, but I am just not sure. Perhaps a member can come up with ideas. It's been said that these were sourced by Kenwood or NEC, but it feels like neither.

Anyway, here she is on the bench, cold.

The first thing I did was take a look at her. Here's a look at the inside.

The circuit boards are all Elnas, and the power supply is split between a stand-alone board near the front and a regulated section on the tuner board. Access is pretty good, and there are a number of nice touches that make service easier. Not as good as the Concepts, but still good. Here's a look at the power supply on the tuner board.

Not terribly exciting, except for the fact that the heat sink on the right is really tall. That part dissipates a lot of heat. But not too much is to be done here except for capacitor and pass-transistor change out. She gets freshened up, but it looks like I forgot to get a photo. So all right, it's on to one of the power stages.

This shouldn't be too bad. This side incorporates the driver for the power stage and the protection circuits and needs new caps and relay service. And then I discover something not technician-friendly. The board is... it doesn't... the board won't... ACK! You can't get to the board without removing the power transistors. Really?

Sigh. Really. OK, remove the devices.

Ugh. That is NOT what I had in mind. But it takes what it takes. And she's much better now. The output relay was too far gone to service, so it's been replaced, and now the input caps are film parts. Nice!

It turns out that the other channel is even more difficult to deal with because of construction. Well, what can you do except do it? After the power stage service, she got switch and control treatment, light bulbs and tuner capacitor service. And after she's all done, she looks like this.

And here's the bottom.

Of course, we got parts...

And we got beauty!

Owner will be happy.

I RESTORE VINTAGE AUDIO AND VIDEO GEAR. Master technician for Concept, Quadraflex, Calibre, Pioneer and Sony. Endorsed by Richard Schram for Concept product restoration. Factory technician for both Yamaha and JVC. Sonics consultant for Denon. Pacific Stereo store manager, service manager, Central Service lead tech, liquidator at our demise. Pacific Stereo curator. Infinity IRS dealer. Music buyer for one of the first CD retailers in the USA. Authorized servicer for virtually every brand on the planet at one time or another. Music addict. Mastering & recording engineer, weaned on a Neve (no other console sounds like a Neve!). Industry-respected ears. Head Tapehead.

Need vintage audio & video repair and restoration, or unobtanium semiconductors and parts? Ask me! And do visit the website: pacificstereo.net

Last edited by Pacific Stereo; 04-25-2013 at 05:27 PM.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:09 PM
audiophool deluxe

Cool old Lafayette. Kenwood made a lot of their stuff, in fact making Lafayette branded stuff was how Kenwood/Trio got their foot in the door here in the US.

Dave
Old 04-25-2013, 07:19 PM
Miami Space Transit Planetarium 11/1966-8/2015

Was gonna say it reminded me of some old kenny receivers i parted out. The ribbon cable though throws me off.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:58 PM
Serious Tapehead

That model must have been towards the end of Lafayette's run. A very nice receiver. Nice work!
Old 04-26-2013, 07:26 AM
Long Live Magnetic Medium

A real beauty for sure,wouldn't mind find one someday to add to the Mantuary.That receiver actually got a pretty good audio review in some magazine I was reading thru the other day.I do have a Lafayette catalog featuring this receiver,they touted its features quite proudly!! Rob
Old 04-26-2013, 01:49 PM
Tandberg fanatic

Doesn't this share the same flaky rotary power switch as the Setton RS-660, and similar to the ones in the Pioneer SX-55-/650 models? If so, I would definitely inspect & decarbon it, and consider adding either a relay or an SCR to handle the brunt of the current passing through. There's an excellent thread on AK with details on the SCR mod, and a couple detailing relay solution though I am sure you don't need guidance on that part.

Pretty receiver, and nice work as always. Somewhat inspires me to dig the RS-660 out and start a parts list as the big bastard was lobbing cap cans and other misc. parts at my head the last time I had it powered on. It's too pretty to leave it like that, should be up and singing instead of nursing a bad attitude down the hall in my spare bedroom.

John
Old 04-26-2013, 01:56 PM
Cassetticus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrokeeper View Post
A real beauty for sure,wouldn't mind find one someday to add to the Mantuary.
Rob .... how would you know?!? There's so much stuff there.....

Beautiful work and great pictures as always!

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.
Old 04-26-2013, 06:00 PM
Sendust for brains

Well, since you got me thinking about it, I went ahead and did a little no-extra-charge service and took the switch out and inspected it. The switch is actually in reasonable shape and the NO side has a decent amount of life left in it. I did clean up both sets of contacts (the NC side is as clean as can be, of course), and so there are a few options. The contacts are interchangeable, so we can always switch them and deal with the muting side later. One could hack up another switch and fix those contacts if need be. But the SCR (or relay) mod is probably a good idea, and we'll see what the future holds for this one.

In the meantime, I did make a little mod and that was to replace the cap with a true snubber. The cap only helps prevent erosion on break. The snubber works for both make and break. Here's a look at old & new.

I RESTORE VINTAGE AUDIO AND VIDEO GEAR. Master technician for Concept, Quadraflex, Calibre, Pioneer and Sony. Endorsed by Richard Schram for Concept product restoration. Factory technician for both Yamaha and JVC. Sonics consultant for Denon. Pacific Stereo store manager, service manager, Central Service lead tech, liquidator at our demise. Pacific Stereo curator. Infinity IRS dealer. Music buyer for one of the first CD retailers in the USA. Authorized servicer for virtually every brand on the planet at one time or another. Music addict. Mastering & recording engineer, weaned on a Neve (no other console sounds like a Neve!). Industry-respected ears. Head Tapehead.

Need vintage audio & video repair and restoration, or unobtanium semiconductors and parts? Ask me! And do visit the website: pacificstereo.net
Old 11-10-2013, 10:51 PM
Ghost In The Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdurbin1 View Post
Doesn't this share the same flaky rotary power switch as the Setton RS-660, and similar to the ones in the Pioneer SX-55-/650 models? If so, I would definitely inspect & decarbon it, and consider adding either a relay or an SCR to handle the brunt of the current passing through. There's an excellent thread on AK with details on the SCR mod, and a couple detailing relay solution though I am sure you don't need guidance on that part.

Pretty receiver, and nice work as always. Somewhat inspires me to dig the RS-660 out and start a parts list as the big bastard was lobbing cap cans and other misc. parts at my head the last time I had it powered on. It's too pretty to leave it like that, should be up and singing instead of nursing a bad attitude down the hall in my spare bedroom.

John
Add the SX-450 to that list of nasty rotary power switches and thank you for the tip!

Would you like to see your company or site here?  CONTACT US
For more Tapeheads affiliates and links, see the Links and Resources page.