Tapeheads Forums

Go Back   Tapeheads Forums > General Audio Discussions > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Everything else not covered above: Remote controls, storage and display, etc.

Universal Capstan Motor

Old 04-19-2013, 12:26 AM
Serious Tapehead

Technical Pro Boombox7

Last weekend, I posted about the Technical Pro Boombox7 radio that I bought. For under $50, it's quite the radio and it's certainly a purchase that I'm pleased with. I was a bit worried that the radio would have a hissy preamp, the tuner wouldn't pick up many stations, distorted sound, etc... Well, it's a decent radio with none of those problems, much to my relief. Also, my new Fuji digital camera arrived today, so I took some pictures of the Boombox7 to try it out. Hope you like them!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Big Radio1.jpg (230.9 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg Big Radio2.jpg (192.9 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg BR3.jpg (193.9 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg BR4.jpg (214.7 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg BR5.jpg (165.5 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg BR6.jpg (224.9 KB, 13 views)
Old 11-01-2013, 09:01 PM
TapeHeads Newbie

Red face Boombox7 - fantastic idea, needs a better receiver

I've yet to find your original post. Had to jump in here first with my thoughts. I'm glad yours is working out so well. To me the Boombox7 looks great, and the idea of such an easily operable recording radio is outstanding. This is why I've just ordered my third(!) unit. We're faced again here with extremely inconsistent performance from a Chinese company's radio, from one sample to the next. My first Boombox7 arrived with scratches on the front. The second arrived (from Heartland America) with one of the ferrite antenna leads unattached from the board (I completely took apart the set to fix this.) Also the second one maddeningly skips right over almost 5MHz of the FM band! The receiver overall, on all bands, severely overloads in the big city, with local AM blowtorches swamping parts of my AM coverage, and with all of shortwave obliterated by FM station interference. I have to use all the tricks in my book to deal with this second issue. Also, no two samples of this product are identically aligned. Another big issue - to tune several of the SW broadcast bands you're forced to tune in the images of those stations; the coverage is incorrect! My second unit is, thankfully, so far off alignment that the 31 meter band actually IS covered, despite the wrong analog dial readings. Regarding the recording, I'm very disappointed to find that recordings won't play on any of my other devices; they will only play on a Boombox7.
All this said, I AM having fun with the Boombox7, and would LOVE to see the same package come out with an improved receiver circuit! I am able to do a fair amount of AM DXing at night, and I'm having fun with the recording. Oh - also, the built-in rechargeable battery is not replaceable! Arrgh! If we do see an improved version, I'll jump on it. Meanwhile I'm trying to find one or two acceptable samples of the Boombox7 to keep. Call it an illness.

Last edited by Electro Brand One; 11-01-2013 at 10:03 PM.
Old 11-01-2013, 10:06 PM
TapeHeads Newbie

Great pics. I see yours made it to you with the silver paint still looking new. Very nice. But by all means don't apply any cleaners to those areas in the future...that silver comes off if you breathe on it.
Old 11-07-2013, 03:52 PM
Serious Tapehead

It'd be nice if Sony, Panasonice, etc..., would make a quality radio like this. In fact, the looks of this one are based on an 80's Panasonic, IIRC. Sony still makes pretty good portable radios, so it'd be nice to see them make something like this.
Old 11-08-2013, 10:33 AM
TapeHeads Newbie

Boombox7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAD613 View Post
It'd be nice if Sony, Panasonice, etc..., would make a quality radio like this. In fact, the looks of this one are based on an 80's Panasonic, IIRC. Sony still makes pretty good portable radios, so it'd be nice to see them make something like this.
Yes, the Panasonic RF-2900 I believe was the original design. The ease of recording on the Boombox7 is it's strong point. Very fun to use, and to me the playback sounds good.

My third Boombox7 has arrived. No two of these are alike! This one is better on FM than the other two, but worse on AM (local stations pop up all across the dial where they don't belong and sensitivity is low). Also I'm getting loud UHF interference on AM, maybe from hospital machinery or a cell tower nearby. With a lot of experimentation I've set up an antenna that brings in acceptable shortwave signals with less FM interference.

The tuning hangs up mechanically at about 600kHz on the AM dial on this latest unit...I have to carefully nudge the dial back and forth til it eases back to proper rotation. It's a riot how variable the performance is from one Boombox7 to the next. I'm almost forced to keep all three of mine since each does best on different bands. I guess I'm a toy collector.

A better quality radio/recorder with this or similar appearance would be incredible.