Tapeheads Forums

Go Back   Tapeheads Forums > Tape, Taping and Tape Machines > Reel To Reel

Reel To Reel All discussions pertaining to reel to reel decks including general usage, recording, playback, servicing tips and blank tape.

Universal Capstan Motor

Old 04-17-2013, 01:59 PM
Serious Tapehead

NuFinish Causing Black Residue

After reading over some of the stickies about NuFinish I decided to do a bit of polishing/cleaning on my X-10R last night and mostly just took a Q-tip and polished the tape path. I noticed a black residue coming off from the tension arm "pulley" (don't know the technical term for it, maybe tension arm guide). I know from polishing feed ramps on the 1911 that means metal is being removed...although very small amounts. That doesn't seem good to me. I was hesitant to try it on the heads after that.
Old 04-17-2013, 02:18 PM
Invented NuFinish SSS Fix

Take a picture...the only residue left after polishing something with Nu-Finish is dirt and oxidation.

Nu-Finish isn't hardly abrasive whatsoever; it's definitely not powerful enough to remove metal.

Both Sam (Skywave) and myself have extensively used Nu-Finish to finely polish the oxidation off of tape heads and I don't believe either of of us has seen any black residue from polishing a clean tape path.

Now, if there is a bunch of sticky shed or old tape dirt and residue caked on the tape path that normal alcohol cleaning doesn't easily remove, then the Nu-Finish WILL clean this off and of course you will see the residue of such oxide and goo build-up on the cloth and/or q-tips.

But as far as metal being removed...Nu-Finish doesn't have anything in it that will remove metal, and even if it did, it isn't a powerful enough abrasive to do anything of the sort.

Take a picture of the tension arm pulley and the residue on the q-tip that you are seeing.

Jeff

Last edited by ggoat!!!; 04-17-2013 at 05:30 PM.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:07 PM
Serious Tapehead

Too late to take picks of the Q-tips...they went into the trash and I took that down to the street since our guys pick up in the morning. The end of the Q-tip was just black, like you hit it with a black magic marker. There's no discernible difference on the roller. It pretty much looks like it did. I know NuFinish wouldn't take off metal, per se, but it was the same look I got when I polished feed ramps in 1911's with a mild abrasive on a conical shaped buffer using a Dremel tool.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:11 PM

Owning nearly 50 or so of the Teac X series decks including several that employ transports identical to your X-10R I've never had any extensive black residue come off of ANYTHING in the tape path; especially not on a roller. Your deck must have had some sort of residue on that part that the Nu-Finish removed.

Also, if the Nu-Finish was "breaking down the metal" as you seem to suggest, then the fact that you threw the Q-tips away (and as such couldn't take a picture) would not negate this phenomenon as it would not STOP. If the Nu-Finish was breaking down the metal then all you would have to do would be to apply it AGAIN; if this "metal breakdown" was actually occurring (it isn't) then you would be able to produce this "black residue" over and over and over again. If it is NO LONGER producing this black residue, then again the Nu-Finish removed some sort of contaminant on the roller.

All you would have to do is re-apply the Nu-Finish, obtain the black residue, and take a picture of it. If the Nu-Finish was the cause then you could do this infinitely. Of course, there could still be some contaminants and residue on the roller that hasn't been completely removed.

Last edited by ggoat!!!; 04-17-2013 at 04:20 PM.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:17 PM
Serious Tapehead

There wasn't any black residue on that roller. In fact, I couldn't see any with the naked eye, just a small minute amount of oxide on the outer edge. The Q-tip was black as soot and I didn't want to continue rubbing after getting that result. I don't know what caused it but take my word for it, it was black. I don't want to keep rubbing if the metal on the roller is going south.

Last edited by ColColt; 04-17-2013 at 04:19 PM.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColColt View Post
There wasn't any black residue on that roller. In fact, I couldn't see any with the naked eye, just a small minute amount of oxide on the outer edge.
Again, reproduce it and take a picture of what you're talking about. As I stated above:

"If Nu-Finish was "breaking down the metal" as you seem to suggest, then the fact that you threw the Q-tips away (and as such couldn't take a picture) would not negate this phenomenon as it would not STOP. If the Nu-Finish was breaking down the metal then all you would have to do would be to apply it AGAIN; if this "metal breakdown" was actually occurring (it isn't) then you would be able to produce this "black residue" over and over and over again. If it is NO LONGER producing this black residue, then again the Nu-Finish removed some sort of contaminant on the roller.

All you would have to do is re-apply the Nu-Finish, obtain the black residue, and take a picture of it. If the Nu-Finish was the cause then you could do this infinitely. Of course, there could still be some contaminants and residue on the roller that hasn't been completely removed."
Old 04-17-2013, 04:55 PM
Am I doing this right?

Probably just aluminum oxide. NuFinish WILL take that off.

And I love this smiley
Old 04-17-2013, 05:28 PM
Skywave Tape Deck Repair

There can be a residue that you don't see on the roller and in the side grooved that you do not see and then being you are using a white cotton swab it might make you nervous. I have used Nu Finish on a lot of stuff including heads many time and I have no worry that it is taking off too much. You worry about the metal coming off is not warranted. If anything it is good.

Sam Palermo, BSEE, past Broadcast Engineer
Skywave Tape Deck Repair- Chicago area
(630)616-0932 Office/ 708-334-2260 Cell, E mail:skywavebe@sbcglobal.net
Past Teac/Tascam Lead Service Technician at Chicago Factory Service still doing repairs.
http://www.thumbtack.com/il/bensenvi...tascam-repairs
Need Tape? http://www.splicit.com/index.html, The BEST SM are from Stereomanuals.com!
Old 04-17-2013, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Busted Hotness View Post
Probably just aluminum oxide. NuFinish WILL take that off.
+1

Exactly...oxidation.

Old 04-17-2013, 05:32 PM
Serious Tapehead

I just didn't understand why the black. I did clean the record head with nothing on the swab...not until the tension arm controller. That sort of made me nervous.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:34 PM

Nothing to be nervous about. In fact, keep polishing until ALL that oxidation is off every part that the tape touches. Your deck will perform MUCH better.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:39 PM
Serious Tapehead

I'll do it. The heads could probably stand a touch of it despite my having used 99.9% alcohol.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:43 PM

As Sam will attest, polishing the oxidation off of the heads on these Teac decks seems to reduce friction as Nu-Finish provides a super-y slick slippery surface. As a matter of fact, I believe that Sam has done some tests that show a 2-3db noise decrease after he Nu-Finished a tape as well as the tape path. I'm sure Sam can chime in with details. He was one of the first ones on this site to take up further testing with Nu-Finish (as was Lance) since I first posted about it. He's not going to BS you, even if a deck or tape is considered a "holy grail"...Sam will tell you like it is, without sugar-coating.

Jeff
Old 04-17-2013, 06:16 PM
Serious Tapehead

I'm going to finish it up tomorrow and then onward to the A-4300. I'm sure both could stand a good cleaning.