Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums
High quality analog audio tape for professionals and enthusiasts alike.

Go Back   Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums > Service, Restorations, Helpful How-Tos, Parts and Manuals, Ads and More! > Pacific's Restorations

Pacific's Restorations You can see all of Pacific's vintage gear restorations here.

Donate to Tapeheads!

Old 04-09-2013, 05:10 PM
Sendust for brains

Pacific's Sanyo Plus 75 restoration

It's been a while since I did a restoration thread, as I have just been too dang busy (and still am!) to get these composed and done. But this one was kind of interesting and I have a little spare time, so here we go.

This one came in working but in desperate need of some TLC. The engineers at Sanyo are big believers in device specifications and think that it's perfectly OK to run parts near their physical and electrical limits. Plus, this unit had been repaired at least once before and had some very interesting issues. So lets start with a look-see, shall we?

These units are just beautiful on the outside with machined aluminum knobs and a very good fit and finish.

And it has some really nice touches, like a frequency display that rides along on the dial pointer (at this point, the LED for the pointer was not working). How cool is that?

But on the inside, well, this unit is ALL Sanyo!

Everything is crammed together, without a thought as to what might happen if the unit ever needed to be worked on. And there's some other interesting things here, like the little carbon resistor with the tape underneath it, the metal oxide resistor on the top of the board, carbon glue everywhere, and oh, yes, NTE output ICs.

Guh. Dirty, heat sink grease (and the dirt it attracts) everywhere, parts that don't belong and other interesting deficiencies. The first thing I did was to desolder the boards on the output devices and peel off the NTE stickers from the parts to verify that the right ones had gone in. Happily, these were indeed STK-0080 parts and thus I could relax there. But everything sure is dirty.

The parts tacked on at the edges of the board are factory mods.

But why do you suppose that metal oxide resistor is there on the top of the main board, anyway?

Well, we lift up the main board to discover why...

Holy hole in a donut, Batman! This amplifier has not only been repaired, it's been repaired in a really ugly way. The emitter resistor on the left was changed out for a different part, and there was now no room on the board for the metal oxide resistor. Ah, HAH! Man, that's ugly. So the first order of the day is work on this board. All electrolytics get changed and some film caps get installed where it matters. There are also some NTE parts used here that I change back for originals. Unfortunately I don't have those Matsushita double-resistors at that value. But there's nothing wrong with the part that's installed, so I just make the repair a little more elegant.

Whew! Much better. So here's what the back side of the board looks like now. We've cleaned up the factory mods, cleaned up the thermal sensor area, removed all of the excess heat sink grease, removed the carbon glue and repaired bad solder everywhere. We've also moved the replacement offset pots to the top of the board because these adjust from the side and not the top.

And notice something missing? That's right, the little 1-meg carbon resistor. Whoever worked on this thing before discovered that there was something wrong with the protection circuitry, in that it would take an inordinately long time for the amp to come out of protection. And instead of repairing the problem, the previous tech decided that a modification was in order. Now to the tech's defense, the problem with the protection circuitry turned out to be a transistor that would measure fine with a meter, but had no beta and thus the circuit wouldn't work right. Replacing that transistor was the solution, and I can see how a befuddled tech in desperation wanting this off of his bench would do such a thing. But that doesn't mean I have to like it!

So now let's have a look at the power supply (or, what you can see of it). As per the usual Sanyo design philosophy of, "Let's cram, and let's heat 'em up," this is what it looks like. You can see the NTE labels on the output devices, here. This photo was taken before I had worked on the power amp board, which is why those stickers are still on the parts.

Really? <sigh> These parts are deeeeeep down in the unit and have to be extracted with tools to change them out. So, the supply gets done after the power amp repair, and it looks like this now.

Better parts, better pizza. Nice! And now, it's time to deal with the power switch. It's exactly the same as the switch used in the Concept 16.5, with the exception that it only has one set of contacts.

This receiver made a horrible noise when the power switch was pushed in (while the unit was on, of course) to turn it off. Now, that's fixed. Here's what the contacts look like, before and after.

Next, it's time to work on the control and tone boards. You would not believe how much work it is to get these units apart so that they can be serviced. Sanyo engineers say, "Oh! Never break! Dishonor. Not need make service!" (I worked with the Japanese for years, and have special dispensation to poke fun at them.)

You can see that some film caps are now installed, along with the rest of the usual suspects.

This unit got a full recap of the tuner board too, but it is so jammed packed that taking photos wouldn't reveal anything. Take my word that it was done. And very difficult because of the cramming (alignment NIGHTMARE). But here's a look at the display part. That little pipsqueak LED is the dial pointer.

All fixed.

And parts? We got parts!!

See that white wire? When I first got the unit, I thought, "What is this? What's under the shrink tubing?" Well, I'll tell you what's under the shrink tubing, as I cut apart one piece of it, which you can see. Nothing except a solder joint. This is a ground wire that attaches to the power amp board and goes to the chassis. The previous tech could have replaced it in about 30 seconds (which is what I did), but no... he cut it, repaired it and put shrink tubing over it. Twice.

And here's after all was done (AM and FM alignment, as well).

Notice the dial string is now black? That's because she needed a restring. And guess what? The manual is WRONG on how to string the tuner. Sure glad I had "before" photos! And here's a look at the bottom of the unit, now that she's all pristine and proud to show it.

Whew! This really was a time consuming and in some areas, a quite difficult repair. I probably will not do another one of these. But she came out quite nice and she sounds delicious. I am very pleased with the repair and how she sounds.

"Yeah, yeah, yeah... shut up already! Show us the beauty shots!" Well... all right, then.

All photos, copyright ©2013 Pacific Stereo. All rights reserved, no use without written permission. I better not see these on eBay!

I RESTORE VINTAGE AUDIO AND VIDEO GEAR. Master technician for Concept, Quadraflex, Calibre, Pioneer and Sony. Endorsed by Richard Schram for Concept product restoration. Factory technician for both Yamaha and JVC. Sonics consultant for Denon. Pacific Stereo store manager, service manager, Central Service lead tech, liquidator at our demise. Pacific Stereo curator. Infinity IRS dealer. Music buyer for one of the first CD retailers in the USA. Authorized servicer for virtually every brand on the planet at one time or another. Music addict. Mastering & recording engineer, weaned on a Neve (no other console sounds like a Neve!). Industry-respected ears. Head Tapehead.

Need vintage audio & video repair and restoration, or unobtanium semiconductors and parts? Ask me! And do visit the website: pacificstereo.net

Last edited by Pacific Stereo; 05-26-2014 at 06:05 PM. Reason: I never get it right the first (or fifth) time.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:23 PM
Invented NuFinish SSS Fix

I'm always in awe of these restoration threads. Reviving such a receiver can only be a labor of love...I'd imagine most receivers like this were tossed decades ago.

The attention to detail is encouraging that there are still some out there who want to do a thorough proper job.

Now all that receiver needs is a refinish of the fake wood case to a nice textured semi-gloss black. The only wood that looks good is real wood...

The MOST impressive thing about those pics is the background! Those hills! Where the hell are you at??!???!????
Old 04-09-2013, 06:28 PM
Sendust for brains

Thanks, Ggoat. It's definitely as much a labor of love as it is trying to make a living.

As much as I generally hate fake wood, on this one I think it actually looks very nice. There's a crispness to it that I think works for this particular unit. I definitely would not like this as much in black.

Thanks for the complement on the photos. Of course, because the unit is the focus, I often cut away much of the backdrop. Just for you, here's one I did not use because of the reflection. The lab is located somewhere in Central California, which is as specific as I can get.

I RESTORE VINTAGE AUDIO AND VIDEO GEAR. Master technician for Concept, Quadraflex, Calibre, Pioneer and Sony. Endorsed by Richard Schram for Concept product restoration. Factory technician for both Yamaha and JVC. Sonics consultant for Denon. Pacific Stereo store manager, service manager, Central Service lead tech, liquidator at our demise. Pacific Stereo curator. Infinity IRS dealer. Music buyer for one of the first CD retailers in the USA. Authorized servicer for virtually every brand on the planet at one time or another. Music addict. Mastering & recording engineer, weaned on a Neve (no other console sounds like a Neve!). Industry-respected ears. Head Tapehead.

Need vintage audio & video repair and restoration, or unobtanium semiconductors and parts? Ask me! And do visit the website: pacificstereo.net
Old 04-09-2013, 06:36 PM
Invented NuFinish SSS Fix

The surroundings look unreal...how is it that all that land is uninhabited? It's like you have your own little mountaintop...AND valley!
Old 04-09-2013, 07:10 PM
Serious Tapehead

Pacific: It's nice to see your restoration projects being posted here. Is there one particular receiver that took the longest to restore, and how do you judge, or the owner decide, on whether it's worth the time and expense? I know, if it had been a receiver I had owned since new, I would be more apt to blow the budget for a full-on restoration.

Nando.

Last edited by Pacific Stereo; 04-09-2013 at 07:18 PM.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:20 PM
Sendust for brains

Well, it works like this: I give the owner an estimate with the caveat that because each unit will present unique challenges, there may be a bit of variance. In the case of this one, it was far more time and effort than I ever anticipated. The last time I saw one of these was 1984. The owner did not pay for the extra time involved in making his unit right.

Last edited by Pacific Stereo; 04-09-2013 at 07:22 PM.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:34 PM
Cassetticus Maximus

The photography alone is well worth these threads. Love the final glamour shots.

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:54 PM
Miami Space Transit Planetarium 11/1966-8/2015

so out of curiosity, can you tell us what the repair bill came to?
Old 04-09-2013, 08:59 PM
Serious Tapehead

Wow, excellent job, Pacific! Really looks nice!
I love the prop chair you're using, the same one is in our bathroom ;-)
Beautiful backdrop, California is so nice in spring.
Sony TC-K7II, TC-WE625
Yamaha KX-930, KX-W952.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:47 PM
NLA

I bought a Plus D45 cassette deck because my first new one was a Sanyo and I wanted to get another. I have an ULTRX deck as well that needs repair. My first receiver was a 2016.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:13 AM
Highly Biased

Pacific,
Nice job. The Plus 75 is relatively rare, hence the value of the restoration is based on rarity. I have finished a Nak 581 which had problem after problem, many of which were earlier "repairs". I can read between the lines that you thought it would be a straightforward job!
Old 04-10-2013, 04:48 PM
I love baby WPC Receivers!

So purdy
Old 04-10-2013, 04:51 PM
Sendust for brains

Doc, thanks. Yeah, as I mentioned, I have not seen one of these since perhaps 1984 or so. This one was far more work than I thought it was going to be, but I'm glad I did it, if for no other reason than to preserve a rare piece. The customer is very happy, and that makes me happy.

Old 04-10-2013, 06:21 PM
Serious Tapehead

Smile

I got one of these in my cupboard of death, it's down on one channel needs one of the STK modules ( cant remember the No) been a while since I set eyes on it......

Last edited by Red_OX; 04-10-2013 at 06:28 PM.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:39 PM
<< Path under Coastlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_OX View Post
I got one of these in my cupboard of death, it's down on one channel needs one of the STK modules ( cant remember the No) been a while since I set eyes on it.
I've got one almost exactly the same, it's a Sanyo JCX 2300K awaiting restoration. I'll get on to it when time and workshop space is available.

I restored a Toshiba SA-725 tuner amplifier a few years ago. It's now in use with the bedroom / workshop stereo.

http://www.tapeheads.net/showpost.ph...3&postcount=17

Last edited by Chris Glover Kapiti Coast; 04-10-2013 at 07:24 PM. Reason: Add show post
Old 04-10-2013, 08:27 PM
Sendust for brains

Well, the one thing I can say is that if you do need an STK device, mine are absolutely genuine and original.

Old 04-10-2013, 08:50 PM
Serious Tapehead

Looks like somewhere off of I-5 in central CA.
That receiver looks as ugly on the inside as it is beautiful on the outside. Love the style and that digital FM indicator, just classic.
I remember that line (we talked about Susan Anton on the cassette thread) as the one where it looked like Sanyo was trying to break out and make good stuff, then a few later, they sort of dropped off and flooded the world with Fisher branded "Studio Standard" systems
Old 04-10-2013, 09:10 PM
Serious Tapehead

Pacific: That is another beautiful restoration.
It looks like it was a lot of work but itís good to see that someone is willing to spend the time and effort to bring these gems back to near original condition.
Iím sure it costs the customer a pretty penny but if itís something they really want I guess itís worth it.

Jeff
Looks like some sort of secreted resin. Yeah, but secreted from *what*?
Old 04-28-2013, 04:26 AM
TapeHeads.Net Member

Those Sanyo Plus Series pieces are superb.

I happened upon the P-55 power amp, C-55 preamp and the T-55 tuner, each a masterpiece.

Sanyo surprises . . .

Cheers
Old 04-28-2013, 05:57 PM
Serious Tapehead

Hey PS, just stumbling across this thread as I get my bearings back.

Really nice job you did there. Yeah man - I understand how much of a PITA it is with Sanyo's "cram it and jam it" design, and those dadgum power switches. I offered to take on a A35 integrated (might even still have it here), that first started as just the power switch. It was a rubik's cube trying to get to the dang thing. Got that taken care of, but then there was the "adventure of the LED's".. dang traces were all but shot on a multilayered PCB containing tiny leds for the power meters. Ended up fabricating whole new meter boards.

It was fun tho... I have a P55 too sitting here. Maybe I'll take the leap...

Whadya say, soneeeeee??!

Would you like to see your company or site here?  CONTACT US
For more Tapeheads affiliates and links, see the Links and Resources page.