Tapeheads Forums

Go Back   Tapeheads Forums > Tape, Taping and Tape Machines > Cassette

Cassette All discussions pertaining to cassette decks including general usage, recording, playback, servicing tips, and blank tape.

Universal Capstan Motor

Old 03-18-2013, 02:52 PM
Serious Tapehead

Amorphous heads decks

Can you suggest some of the good ones ? Of course , with your opinions.
As far as I know , Aiwa AD-F880 has record and playback amorphous.
Technics AZ6/7 has playback amorphous only. Recording permalloy.

Last edited by yinyangbt; 03-18-2013 at 04:09 PM.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:09 AM
TapeHeads.Net Member

Aiwa is better by far. Technics has a magnetoresistive playback head, not a conventional coil fitted one. The magnetoresistive head is very good by itself but the implementation playback amplifier in AZ6/AZ7 is not a really inspired choice. The signal has to pass through too much processing stages from playback head to line out jacks. I think the quality of the signal will be strongly colored in an unwanted manner. Also the tape transport in Technics is mid quality, nothing impressive. So grab the AD-F880.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:46 AM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by yinyangbt View Post
Can you suggest some of the good ones ? Of course , with your opinions.
As far as I know , Aiwa AD-F880 has record and playback amorphous.
The Aiwa AD-F880 has a hard permalloy head.

Aiwa 3-head decks with amorphous heads:

Fully amorphous (both REC and PB sections)

AD-F990
XK-009
XK-S9000

"Half-amorphous" (only PB section is amorphous, REC section is hard permalloy)

AD-F910
XK-S7000

There are very many other manufacturer's decks with fully or half amorphous heads, some of these are good, in quite a few only the head is good.

Cheers

Alex

Last edited by A.N.T.; 03-19-2013 at 12:57 PM.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:09 PM
Serious Tapehead

That means I had wrong info somewhere on the net ...It's good that there are here people who know what's all about
But , I think I was misunderstood .Wasn't interessed about those two specific models but of all interesting models that have this type of heads .I found some general info about amorphous heads , but not about specific models.
I found out that there are some models of Sony decks and that the earlier models would have a type of amorphous heads that that wear out easier than the newer models .
But wich are the interesting decks from all makes that have such heads ,if there are any ?
Aaa , thanks ,Alex just answered the question...Seems that they are rather pricey ?
Old 03-19-2013, 01:33 PM
Serious Tapehead

A, it seems that there are some Yamaha ones with amorphous , but dont't know how good . The transport seems a little fragile , not as good as Aiwa , Sony and later Pioneer's ,or am I wrong again ?
Old 03-19-2013, 01:45 PM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
A, it seems that there are some Yamaha ones with amorphous , but dont't know how good . The transport seems a little fragile , not as good as Aiwa , Sony and later Pioneer's ,or am I wrong again ?
Out of 3-head Yamaha decks I know for sure only the KX-1200 has a fully amorphous head and it uses a good Sankyo transport (same as in many other decks, including later Nakamichi CR, DR and Cassette Deck series decks. Possibly there are others.

Cheers

Alex
Old 03-19-2013, 02:39 PM
TapeHeads.Net Member

Another good choice is Kenwood KX1100 (G-HX) or Pioneer CT959. Their fully amorphous heads match pretty well the playback electronics (especially CT959: 2sk389-M5220-CX20188-relay monitor-line out jacks). Both transports are splendid, Sankyo DD for Kenwood and proprietary Reference Master for Pioneer.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:01 PM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiatus View Post
Another good choice is Kenwood KX1100 (G-HX) or Pioneer CT959. Their fully amorphous heads match pretty well the playback electronics (especially CT959: 2sk389-M5220-CX20188-relay monitor-line out jacks). Both transports are splendid, Sankyo DD for Kenwood and proprietary Reference Master for Pioneer.
The same transport is in the KX880 and 990?
Old 03-20-2013, 01:47 AM
Serious Tapehead

Long time ago (some 25+ years) I started myself a database with all the decks and cassettes I know. It was more like the old-library style, on paper cards, as the computers were quite rare (and expensive like hell) and also did not provide adequate storage and retrieval of data. Sort of vintagecassette but on paper files.

The difficulty of finding informations (remember, it was before the internet), coupled with the launch of new and new models, and with the withdrawal of the older (in particular cassettes) made me drop this idea.

Now I have the infos I need, the storage and retrieval options, but no longer the incentive - tape is dead.

I say this because this type of information would have helped you retrieve the models you wanted at a click of a button (select the head type = amorphous).
Old 03-20-2013, 02:05 AM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghitulescu View Post
Long time ago (some 25+ years) I started myself a database with all the decks and cassettes I know. It was more like the old-library style, on paper cards, as the computers were quite rare (and expensive like hell) and also did not provide adequate storage and retrieval of data. Sort of vintagecassette but on paper files.

The difficulty of finding informations (remember, it was before the internet), coupled with the launch of new and new models, and with the withdrawal of the older (in particular cassettes) made me drop this idea.

Now I have the infos I need, the storage and retrieval options, but no longer the incentive - tape is dead.

I say this because this type of information would have helped you retrieve the models you wanted at a click of a button (select the head type = amorphous).
There are many places where the info is somehow puzzling, for example , on vintagecassette the Pio CT777 is presented with "PC-OCC Amorphous Head" - maybe a combo permalloy record/amorphous playback ? - but in many other places , Owners manual included it is specified hardpermalloy only.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:15 AM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
There are many places where the info is somehow puzzling, for example , on vintagecassette the Pio CT777 is presented with "PC-OCC Amorphous Head" - maybe a combo permalloy record/amorphous playback ? - but in many other places , Owners manual included it is specified hardpermalloy only.
Sometimes vintagecassette is wrong. Very rare but it happens that the user manual is also wrong. The service manuals are not. Use them.

Also many decks use external heads, mostly from Sony and Canon. And some of them are combinations of materials if 3heads.

To this confusion is added extra that some decks changed internally but the model designation remained the same (like revox 710 that initially had ferrite heads, then due to Sony shortage they switched to Canon's hard permalloy).
Old 03-20-2013, 02:26 AM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Sometimes vintagecassette is wrong. Very rare but it happens that the user manual is also wrong. The service manuals are not. Use them.

Also many decks use external heads, mostly from Sony and Canon. And some of them are combinations of materials if 3heads.

To this confusion is added extra that some decks changed internally but the model designation remained the same (like revox 710 that initially had ferrite heads, then due to Sony shortage they switched to Canon's hard permalloy).
Multumesc !
Old 03-20-2013, 05:23 AM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Yes, though the heads material is not always named in service manuals.

Quote:
Also from ALPS.

Quote:
Just for the record: the Studer A710/ ReVox B710 at first used Sony Sendust-Ferrite (S&F) heads, and later switched to Canon laminated Sendust heads (NOT hard-permalloy).

Cheers

Alex
Old 03-20-2013, 06:16 AM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.N.T. View Post
Yes, though the heads material is not always named in service manuals.
Also from ALPS.
True.

Anyway, another method (besides asking in a forum ) would be to compare the heads, chances are that at least some are identical over models and manufacturers (but you need to have it in hand to see its part number).