Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums
Universal Capstan Motor

Go Back   Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums > Tape, Taping and Tape Machines > Reel To Reel

Reel To Reel All discussions pertaining to reel to reel decks. These include general usage, recording, playback, and service questions. For subjects related to tape itself, see the Open Reel subforum under this one. Obscure service subjects that don't quite fit go in the Help and Do It Yourself subforum.

Donate to Tapeheads!

Old 03-01-2013, 10:11 AM
Dr. PC

Interesting Discovery on Exchanging Otari/Teac reel tables

Last night being total bored and nothing better to do I crawled around Utube videos and came across some videos of Otari mx-5050 being demo'd.

One caught my attention where they had 7 inch reels mounted but the typical Nab 10.5 inch hub adapters or rubber reel locks were missing. Upon closer inspection, some one replaced the stock oem reel table with a teac reel table that has the twist and lock mechcanism. This replaces the solid shaft style that Otari used in it's BII series.

With phillips driver in hand I had to investigate if I might have a possible use for my spare set of reel tables. A quick visual indicates they are nearly the same,
After a few minutes of searching for the correct allen wrenches, I was able to replace the Otari reel table with the Teac one, and no modifications are needed.
I was amazed that the motor shaft was a fit as was the teac part being a direct bolt on fit on the Otari deck.
How nice, now I can play a 7 inch reel with out using the funky rubber stopper reel locks or the 10.5" hub locks. Mine are old and worn and provide a sloppy mounting. And very noisy on fast wind/rewind

Now I just need another set of Teac/Tascam TZ-612 adapters. 29ea plus shipping via Teac parts.

Last edited by toddbailey; 03-01-2013 at 12:27 PM.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:41 PM
Supporter of Reel Analog-resistance is futile!

Thanks Todd I have been watching Pioneer 1020 reel tables, on ebay, thinking the same thing. They also look like possible replacements. Which Teac tables work?
Old 03-01-2013, 10:35 PM
Serious Tapehead

I am VERY interested in finding out which teac tables work, as I've been looking to do this mod for years. I HATE HATE HATE the reel tables on my Otari mx-5050 bII and I hate using those stupid adapters. I do like that the reel tables are sturdier than the tascam's, but honestly those are sturdy enough.

It's most probable that you saw a video of an mx-5050 bIII, as that model replaced the stupid reel tables used on the bII with the smart twist-lock reel tables. However, kudos to you for thinking they were modded with teac reel tables and then deciding to try it yourself, hahah.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:32 AM
Dr. PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listens2tubes View Post
Thanks Todd I have been watching Pioneer 1020 reel tables, on ebay, thinking the same thing. They also look like possible replacements. Which Teac tables work?
I forget exactly what model these are off, but I think one of the a-33xx series, maybe a 3340 or 3300.

here a few pictures showing the Otari next to the Teac,
As you can see the shaft hub mounting is the same in height, the reel flange is only slightly larger in diameter and also a bit thicker, but can be compensated for.

I even toyed with the idea of using my x10 reel tables inplace of the 33xx plate just so you can avoid having a teac brand on a Otari deck.
The x10 tables don't have the Teac brand printed on the rubber face, unlike the 3300 series I have.
However the x10 motor hub part won't fit being too tall. But remove 3 screws and the 2 parts separate.
So I'd have to do a bit more parts swapping.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF3270.jpg (81.9 KB, 141 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF3269.jpg (102.4 KB, 146 views)

Last edited by toddbailey; 03-02-2013 at 12:45 AM.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:33 AM
Serious Tapehead

If there is a replacement that could be used as a drop in, no fiddling around needed, I would spend untold amounts to have this done to my deck haha
Old 03-03-2013, 11:47 PM
Dr. PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRom92 View Post
If there is a replacement that could be used as a drop in, no fiddling around needed, I would spend untold amounts to have this done to my deck haha
I purchased a set of teac reel tables off ebay a-3300 series, about a year ago, with the idea that I'd update either by A6010 or my A7010 teac decks. Unfortuantely these 2 decks presented some engineering challanges I wasn't able to address. The U tube video gave these parts a new possibility for use.

Examine the new photos of my Otari MX-5050BII

Installation was fairly simple, and was I was able to R & R with out removing any access covers. All that was required was to remove the 3 phillips screws from the otari reel table then loosen the 2 allen head screws that hold the reel table hub in place. Next remove the table from the hub of the teac reel tables and slide into place. Align the 2 set screws to mate with the 2 flat spots on the motor shaft, tighten slightly and pull forward until the set screws hit the end of the flats on the motor shafts, tighten then replace reel tables.

Thats all I did, and it took all of 30 minutes... The reel table heights came in perfectly centered.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF3274.jpg (80.0 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF3275.jpg (55.0 KB, 117 views)

Last edited by toddbailey; 03-03-2013 at 11:52 PM.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:29 AM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddbailey View Post
I purchased a set of teac reel tables off ebay a-3300 series, about a year ago, with the idea that I'd update either by A6010 or my A7010 teac decks. Unfortuantely these 2 decks presented some engineering challanges I wasn't able to address. The U tube video gave these parts a new possibility for use.

Examine the new photos of my Otari MX-5050BII

Installation was fairly simple, and was I was able to R & R with out removing any access covers. All that was required was to remove the 3 phillips screws from the otari reel table then loosen the 2 allen head screws that hold the reel table hub in place. Next remove the table from the hub of the teac reel tables and slide into place. Align the 2 set screws to mate with the 2 flat spots on the motor shaft, tighten slightly and pull forward until the set screws hit the end of the flats on the motor shafts, tighten then replace reel tables.

Thats all I did, and it took all of 30 minutes... The reel table heights came in perfectly centered.

If its that simple I'm definitely looking out on eBay for these things. I'll specifically look for reel tables from the 33 series, unless there are any others that would also work. Thanks!
Old 03-04-2013, 07:24 PM
Supporter of Reel Analog-resistance is futile!

Now we will be racing to find Teac tables. I'm going buy-it-now, no more getting bid up by my fellow tapeheads.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:26 AM
Dr. PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listens2tubes View Post
Now we will be racing to find Teac tables. I'm going buy-it-now, no more getting bid up by my fellow tapeheads.
Just make sure, the hubs are identical to the ones shown in the photos, the x series table hubs are too tall.
Old 06-02-2014, 06:12 PM
TapeHeads.Net Member

Sorry to dig up an old post but I am about to do this modification and was worried about one thing. What is the likelihood of screwing up the alignment? Are the motor shafts on the otari notched with a flat spot ? How would two set screws work if that we're the case?
Old 03-25-2015, 02:46 PM
TapeHeads.Net Member

I would be happy to buy your OTARI hubs and tables. The twist lock is nice but I can do without. EBers charge a fortune for these parts even when you can find them. I am looking for a pair of TEAC tables now. The hubs are usable but the tables are trash. Both spindles broke off. reeltoreelguy@gmail.com.
Old 03-25-2015, 02:53 PM
TapeHeads.Net Member

Almost any table for TEAC TASCAM from a NAB sizes deck will work. The rubber platter design differs but as long as the raised rim is present on the underside you can use them. It is this rim that centers the table on the hub, regardless of the height, X series, or other design differences, steel versus aluminum ect. They ar all intergangable. I did not know that OTARI uses the same dimensions.
Old 03-25-2015, 05:44 PM
Serious Tapehead

Teac Tables

They worked for me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HUBS1.jpg (90.9 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg HUBS2.jpg (55.4 KB, 85 views)
Old 03-26-2015, 12:46 AM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by gustavoa View Post
They worked for me.
_____THAT DECK IS JUST TOO DAMN BEAUTIFUL______
Old 08-10-2015, 10:04 AM
Serious Tapehead

Nice deck. Where did you get the nice side panels. I also have a Teac A3440s that I have no use for. I might change those reel tables over for my Otari MX505O B2HD. I am also on the lookout for the feet for my Otari if anyone has some spares or can suggest where I can get some. Thanks
Old 08-10-2015, 10:30 AM
Boy's bright, but he don't allways listen!

Looks like Gustavoa had something to do with it. He makes Otari look like a home unit. hey look it is his deck!
Old 08-17-2015, 08:19 PM
Happiness Is A Warm Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegrayman View Post
Almost any table for TEAC TASCAM from a NAB sizes deck will work. The rubber platter design differs but as long as the raised rim is present on the underside you can use them. It is this rim that centers the table on the hub, regardless of the height, X series, or other design differences, steel versus aluminum ect. They ar all intergangable. I did not know that OTARI uses the same dimensions.
The X-1000R hubs did not work. The diameter of the piece which slides over the motor shaft is a little too small. Must have switched reel motors at some point. Will try another series tomorrow. I too would love to get rid of those funky OTARI hub adapters. Thanks for the idea, it's a good one.

Would you like to see your company or site here?  CONTACT US
For more Tapeheads affiliates and links, see the Links and Resources page.