Tapeheads Forums

Go Back   Tapeheads Forums > Tape, Taping and Tape Machines > Reel To Reel

Reel To Reel All discussions pertaining to reel to reel decks including general usage, recording, playback, servicing tips and blank tape.

Universal Capstan Motor

Old 01-02-2013, 09:52 AM
Billazehner

TEAC X2000R

I recently purchased a TEAC X2000R in the Portland Oregon area with the intention of transferring all of my old vinyl albums to R2R tape. I had previously purchased a X1000R on Ebay that was poorly packed and the USPS delivered it severly damaged. (I am awaiting payment by their insurers but you know how fast the Postal Service works.) My X2000R works great with the exception of the tape counter not counting up or down. I discovered the optical sensor was not emitting it's red light, and swapped the X1000R one that was working. This didn't solve the problem. I took it to my local tech, and he said this was way beyond his comfort level,(I appreciate his honesty). Any ideas of where/who can remedy this would most helpful.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:19 AM
RTR FREAK and Tapeheads Supporter

Not to overstate the obvious - did you check the counter belt?

CASS: 1/2 DZ
Old 01-02-2013, 03:22 PM
Rockin' The Suburbs

There is no counter belt in an X-2000R.

Welcome to Tapeheads Billazehner! Thanks for taking my advice to join.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:41 PM
Skywave Tape Deck Repair

Hello Billazehner,

I have not had any of these fail in the years I have been working on them but if it were to have a problem, I am sure DigiKey or Mouser would have an appropriate opto interrupter to sub in. The first thing I would do is make sure the tape thread is correct- it goes over the tachometer roller. Then make sure it is spinning- if the bearing is dry and no spin, no count. Then make sure the DC voltage is getting to the device- you could very well have a connector off somewhere. Then after voltage is there, make sure with a scope that the receptor is not generating pulses. You may search for a new part but it might be that you do not need one. It is like those people that go to far lengths to find solenoid to replace and find out that after all that aggravation that did not fix the problem. Also trace the wires to a connector that might have broken solder joints on the board. With more people getting into these things that are not professionals, the little things can get by them. let me know what you find after all these ideas. The Opto in some units might be infrared and you will not see a light- I don't recall seeing them either but the pulses come off the output pin.
Just one more stupid thing- see if a small cut piece of tape did not get into the Opto Interrupter and block the receptor.

Sam Palermo, BSEE, past Broadcast Engineer
Skywave Tape Deck Repair- Chicago area
(630)616-0932 Office/ 708-334-2260 Cell, E mail:skywavebe@sbcglobal.net
Past Teac/Tascam Lead Service Technician at Chicago Factory Service still doing repairs.
http://www.thumbtack.com/il/bensenvi...tascam-repairs
Need Tape? http://www.splicit.com/index.html, The BEST SM are from Stereomanuals.com!
Old 01-02-2013, 05:49 PM
tapeheads.net supporter

if that opto sensor is IR, take your cellphone and put it in camera mode. point it at sensor up close, you will see the IR led show up as a bright purpleish light on a cell phone camera.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:55 PM
Billazehner

X2000R

Thanks for the suggestions. The tape thread is ok and the roller is spinning. All of the pins connecting the sensor and counter assembly are straight and sliding into their respective slots. I'm not technically savvy enough to make the next step in checking circuits.
Having read opinions of comparisons between the X2000R and X1000R I'm wondering if I should have my X1000R repaired, as only the Reel table assembly on the left side was broken off? Then sell my X2000R, as is to cut my losses?
I talked to TASCAM in Calif. and they wanted a flat $250 in labor + parts and shipping to fix. Feeling kind of dizzy with all of the possibilities. BZ
Old 01-02-2013, 10:06 PM

Would have been easier if it DID have a counter belt! Sometimes simple is good!! I've yet to have the cover off mine (touch wood)!

Old 01-03-2013, 01:19 PM
Jammis Archivivist

You should be able to use your reel table from the 2000 on your 1000. You might be able to order one from TEAC, or get a used one on Ebay. I think the X7/X700 and X10 use the same reel assembly.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:01 AM
Billazehner

Biting the bullet

After much discussion/frustration, I've decided to send my X2000R to the repair center in Montebello Ca. If anyone has had an experience with them let me know.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:09 AM
5/12/2008 - 10/2/2014

Be careful with the clowns at Montebello. I've been there (in person) many times, and the last few times I went, I learned you have to spell everything out to the letter with them. Don't just tell them "to fix it", you almost have to lay out step by step directions on how to do it starting with "unscrew the frame...."

Don't assume anything with them. Anything and everything you want done, you need to spell out ahead of time. They are pretty good at following instructions....with the catch being...the instructions you give them have to be almost absurdly long and comically detailed.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:24 AM
Billazehner

I have come to the conclusion that sending it in is my only option as noone here in the Portland Or. area is willing/able to fix my counter problem. I posted on Craigslist for help and got responses that were not worth pursuing. Any other ideas would appreciated. I tried the DIY route and felt like I was getting in over my head. BZ
Old 01-04-2013, 11:26 AM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Des-Lab View Post
Don't just tell them "to fix it", you almost have to lay out step by step directions on how to do it starting with "unscrew the frame...."
on factory service!

It's Tascam for crying out loud...
Old 01-04-2013, 11:26 AM
5/12/2008 - 10/2/2014

You may wish to contact Sam (Skywavebe) who knows Teacs inside out, upside down, and in his sleep.

If you haven't shipped it already, give him a shot. He may cost a little more but unlike the drones at Teac, he actually has a brain and you *will* get your job done right without you having to give him the step by step instructions.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:39 AM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
You may wish to contact Sam (Skywavebe) who knows Teacs inside out, upside down, and in his sleep.

If you haven't shipped it already, give him a shot. He may cost a little more but unlike the drones at Teac, he actually has a brain and you *will* get your job done right without you having to give him the step by step instructions.
seconded, keep the money with small business and the tape community.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:10 PM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:

Just like Des, Sam is your go-to guy. He just recently did some repair work on my deck. Came back like new. AND HE KNOWS HOW TO PACK AND SHIP FOR SAFE ARRIVAL. Contact him, it won't cost you anything to talk to him.
Sony Receivers, GX9ES, GX10ES
Old 01-04-2013, 09:19 PM

Big plus for Sam - he has expert knowledge on Teac/Tascam, and has a great track record - he is also a selfless tapehead and gives much great advice to the membership (myself included) on this site! A big

Old 01-06-2013, 10:52 PM
Skywave Tape Deck Repair

Hi Bill,

I was wondering that through my contacting you through Thumbtack and other methods, did you find the answer to your problem or it is still a issue to be dealt with. I am still here to help regardless of if you will send it to me or someone else. There used to be a guy in Oregon called Eugene Audio and the guy's name was Chris. I think he shut down his shop but then made a recommendation to this place below- just an Idea, I have no track record on them but at least they are over there.

Inner Sound
1416 SE Morrison Street
Portland, Oregon 97214
503-238-1955

www.inner-sound.com

Sam Palermo, BSEE, past Broadcast Engineer
Skywave Tape Deck Repair- Chicago area
(630)616-0932 Office/ 708-334-2260 Cell, E mail:skywavebe@sbcglobal.net
Past Teac/Tascam Lead Service Technician at Chicago Factory Service still doing repairs.
http://www.thumbtack.com/il/bensenvi...tascam-repairs
Need Tape? http://www.splicit.com/index.html, The BEST SM are from Stereomanuals.com!