Tapeheads Forums

Go Back   Tapeheads Forums > Tape, Taping and Tape Machines > Reel To Reel

Reel To Reel All discussions pertaining to reel to reel decks including general usage, recording, playback, servicing tips and blank tape.

Universal Capstan Motor

Old 11-03-2012, 08:06 AM
TapeHeads.Net Member

Fostex Model 20 Question Reel to reel

Hello all,
I have a Fostex Model 20 portable, high speed 2T reel to reel that I really like because it sounds great, it's lighter than my Revox PR99mkII and it still has a lot of on board features (including the cue track for my SMPTE)

However, I have one concern: Fostex placed a stupid little beauty tab that is part of the head cover that covers the capstan (see attached picture) that the capstan is rubbing against during vertical operation--irritating and it can't be good for wow and flutter... I've tried to bend this tab and it got better, but still rubs. I notice some Fostex M20's, M80's and A2's have this piece and others don't--plus the E2 doesn't have it either. I am a few seconds away from cutting it off with a dremel (or a razor blade if that works) but wanted to make sure I'm not missing something here: The capstan has a little vertical play, but it doesn't seem to be more than other decks I have--any problems noted with capstan flywheel tolerances on a Fostex?

Is there a way to adjust the flywheel/capstan assembly (I didn't want to tear the front panel down if that would be pointless)?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.jpg (55.7 KB, 20 views)
Old 11-03-2012, 08:36 AM
Tapedecks & Bernese mountain dogs ..that's life

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppeterso2 View Post
..... I am a few seconds away from cutting it off with a dremel (or a razor blade if that works) but wanted to make sure I'm not missing something here: .....
You're missing one thing - It is there for a reason To eliminate horisontal play in the capstan.

A few vendors figured out another was to eliminate this problem, like TEAC with their X series where some has a magnetic solution to the problem.
Old 11-03-2012, 08:41 AM
TapeHeads.Net Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan_stevns View Post
You're missing one thing - It is there for a reason To eliminate horisontal play in the capstan.

A few vendors figured out another was to eliminate this problem, like TEAC with their X series where some has a magnetic solution to the problem.
Great point, LOL!! that's why I posted. Thanks!--I figured I was missing something!! Do you think I should grease it or something to eliminate the scraping?

I remember my RT909 pioneer deck has some plastic ball bearings for a similar reason!

#asktwicecutonceifyoucutatall

Last edited by ppeterso2; 11-03-2012 at 08:42 AM. Reason: forgot something...
Old 11-03-2012, 09:22 AM
Tapedecks & Bernese mountain dogs ..that's life

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppeterso2 View Post
Great point, LOL!! that's why I posted. Thanks!--I figured I was missing something!! Do you think I should grease it or something to eliminate the scraping?

I remember my RT909 pioneer deck has some plastic ball bearings for a similar reason!

#asktwicecutonceifyoucutatall
my grandfather used to say : Meassure twice, cut once

Every time i've seen those things they has been grease a tiny bit with something. But i honestly can't remmeber any manual adressing this issue.
Old 11-03-2012, 09:31 AM
TapeHeads.Net Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan_stevns View Post
my grandfather used to say : Meassure twice, cut once

Every time i've seen those things they has been grease a tiny bit with something. But i honestly can't remmeber any manual adressing this issue.
Sometimes the simpliest things...
I put a small dab of some nickle metal anti-seize on it and that did the trick! It is extremely quiet even with the head cover tightened all the way down.

Thanks!