Tapeheads Forums

Go Back   Tapeheads Forums > Tape, Taping and Tape Machines > Reel To Reel

Reel To Reel All discussions pertaining to reel to reel decks including general usage, recording, playback, servicing tips and blank tape.

Universal Capstan Motor

Old 09-21-2012, 01:57 PM
audiophool deluxe

Tandberg 64

Decided to play around with one of my Tandbergs from ye ol' junk pile. This is a model 64 which is all tube, single motor, 3 head (No Crossfield on this model). This one was from an original owner and still has the case with keys, original TU spool, spool holders, manuals etc. The capstan idler was froze up so I gave it a complete clean and lube. The figure 8 belt is present but slips but will still FF and REW if you give it some extra time and a push every now and then. I will order a belt for it. The pinch roller hasn't turned to road tar and seems usable. Brakes work fine. It still has the felt damping inside the capstan flywheel. Thats fallen out of all the others I have. Heads look nice. And the Telefunkens haven't been harvested! Only turd in the punchbowl is someone engraved their VA license # on the lower head cover. Someone must have changed the pulley from a 50hz to 60hz one at some point because they put a Dymo label that says "60" over where it had said "50".

Some quick pics:

Dave
Old 09-21-2012, 02:59 PM
Highly Biased

I love these decks. I fall asleep waiting for tapes to rewind though.
Old 09-21-2012, 03:35 PM
audiophool deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nakdoc View Post
I love these decks. I fall asleep waiting for tapes to rewind though.
True they are no speed demons but they are gentle on old brittle tapes that the Crown's would turn into confetti ....
That and they sound damn good also.

Dave

Last edited by DaveInVA; 09-21-2012 at 03:57 PM.
Old 09-21-2012, 06:12 PM
Serious Tapehead

Nice unit. I have a few series 15s which use the same 8-belt layout and believe me, with a new belt those things fly. In fact I'd dare to say that they're the fastest wind I've seen on a non-DD transport.

I would suggest you replace that yellow electrolytic cap on the left side of the 'innards' shot, if it is wired across the mains. Almost certainly past its best by now. Also any Rifa caps across the motor or power switches, had a few go up in smoke of late!
Old 10-09-2012, 02:07 PM
audiophool deluxe

The new belts arrived today so I took it apart again to install them. While I had it open I also cleaned all the pots, switches and tube sockets and tested the tubes. All are good. I have yet to see a tube test bad from a Tandberg yet. I think it is because they all quit working before the tubes got enough time on them to get weak. I also took the motor apart and clean it and lubed it. This one still had the shield over the boards. This is often missing as people are to lazy to put it back after checking or stealing tubes from them. The counter belt had turned to goo.
Here is a tip for when you change the figure 8 belt and it still wont rewind or it slows down and stops. You will find its not the belt. To fix it you must remove all the tape guides. You will find the outer 2 in particular will have crud built up and burned into the top and bottom where the diameter gets bigger. This is enough to catch the tape with enough friction to stop it in rewind or FF. Another symptom is if the tape keeps wanting to loop up inside the head cover just before the far right guide with the switch wire. You cannot just clean it with a cotton swab it won't get it. I had to use a dental pick and a toothbrush. This was a very common problem with these. Also when you have the guides off it is easier to re-bend the stop switch wire so it works properly. These always get out of whack. Some people just jumper over the switch. So before replacing the belt check the guides first.
The last pic is the heads before cleaning. That is not a scratch on the play head, just some spuz. As you can see someone put a new pressure pad on top of the old one for the erase head. That made to much pressure and caused it to not spin up when put in play sometimes especially on 1.875 ips. This was already a very clean unit otherwise. Even all the rubber grommets between the unit and wood case were present and in good shape. The lower ones are almost always missing because they tend to fall off when people open them up and they don't notice or bother to put them back. It all works great now!

Dave

Last edited by DaveInVA; 10-10-2012 at 08:01 AM.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:54 AM
Burning Tape

That for the pictures. This brings back memories as the 64x was the first tape deck in the house. My brother bought one used back in the early 70s. Very nice sounding machine and being a youngster it did not exhibit many of the issues you have resolved on your machine.

Tandbergs so make excellent recordings.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:32 AM
Tape is Dope

thanks for sharing Dave looks like a good hobby project.
Are you going to keep it once its done?

Akai 4000DS , Revox A77 mki ( Called Rita )
Old 10-10-2012, 10:38 AM
audiophool deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper4 View Post
thanks for sharing Dave looks like a good hobby project.
Are you going to keep it once its done?
Yes, I've already owned it for decades just now getting around to getting it going. Its working great now!

Dave