Tapeheads Forums

Go Back   Tapeheads Forums > Tape, Taping and Tape Machines > Reel To Reel

Reel To Reel All discussions pertaining to reel to reel decks including general usage, recording, playback, servicing tips and blank tape.

Universal Capstan Motor

Old 08-09-2012, 11:20 AM
Tape is Dope

revox a77 remote control switches

Has anyone built one please i need help if i'm going to have a go.
Most of the schematic i get. It's the switches i'm having trouble getting.
I am reliably informed i need double pole change over switches Momantery push button.
A kind soul sent me a spare plug so thats sorted.(thanks Dave)

The cheapest i can find in the uk so far is from RS componants at around 16 a piece which would make the project much to expensive to build.
So i'll post a link to the schematic i found and if anyone has alternative suggestions on the build or a source of cheaper switches (uk based) I'd be greatful.

http://www.obsoletemedia.com/tapedecks/a77remote.htm

Akai 4000DS , Revox A77 mki ( Called Rita )
Old 08-09-2012, 05:50 PM
Serious Tapehead

If memory serves A77 remotes are not all that expensive on that auction site. So why not just buy the real thing?
Old 08-09-2012, 06:42 PM
Serious Tapehead

Looking at the schematic the ONLY switch that NEEDS to be DPDT is the Play Switch.

All the rest can be SPDT because if you look at the Right side of all the other Switches, Only the Left side has electrical contact to any / the rest of the remote circuit.

That would probably save you some $$$. Unless you get a qty. discount buying all 5 DPDT (which I would think would be too low a qty for a discount). On the other hand if you bought spares as replacements when one wares out you can just replace & not have to order more & wait.

You will need momentary switches.

Another option would be momentary toggle or rocker. Though it would be a bit odd/different it would work. As long as you DON'T get a center off version of the momentary switch.

You can check E-Bay also places in the USA are DigiKey, Newark, Mouser, MCM Electronics, Parts Express. To name a few. But shipping from the US to you may be also cost a lot.

See these links.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trks...witch&_sacat=0

Last edited by 390FE; 08-09-2012 at 06:56 PM.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:48 PM
Tape is Dope

Brilliant news
thats just what i wanted to hear. As you can tell i'm no expert at schematics.
now you mention it i can see the logic in what your saying.
I will send the schematic to my normal supplier and there tech dept say they will be able to help.

Just so i'm clear the Only switch that needs to be DPDT is the play switch and it still needs to be momantery but not centre off?????

I'm sure looks dont have to be a factor toggles or rockers would do fine.
Buying spares makes sense too thanks for the tip.

Old 08-17-2012, 12:38 PM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper4 View Post
Just so i'm clear the Only switch that needs to be DPDT is the play switch and it still needs to be momantery but not centre off?????

I'm sure looks dont have to be a factor toggles or rockers would do fine.
Buying spares makes sense too thanks for the tip.
Judging by the the schematic, that is correct. The Play switch was the only one that needed to be DPDT. The rest can be SPDT.

And ALL needed to be Momentary & NOT Center Off.

Also you don't need a circuit board as you could do point to point wiring & mounting the switches to the project box you plan to use.

Hope this helps.

PS: Don't forget the 2 Diodes & Capacitors. It is not stated in the schematic what Diodes to use but I would think you could use either of these very common low cost Diodes 1N914 or 1N4001 (I would go for the 1N400x series as they don't have a glass body & would be more durable). As for the Caps probably get at least a 50 Volt or higher, probably a ceramic disc type in the value listed on the schematic.

Let us know how it goes & works out.

Last edited by 390FE; 08-17-2012 at 12:58 PM.
Old 08-17-2012, 12:46 PM
Tape is Dope

that will dramatical cut the cost down mate thanks.

Old 08-17-2012, 08:57 PM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldear View Post
If memory serves A77 remotes are not all that expensive on that auction site. So why not just buy the real thing?
I looked for months for a OEM A-77 wired remote that was in near mint condition and it was about $85.00 over here. And I have seen them for up to $125.00. I see more of them for sale in the UK but freight costs are kind of expensive and most on Ebay don't ship over seas. Same for over here as I help Terry a friend in London out when he finds a part over here and they won't ship to the UK... I purchase the part and when it arrives here I make sure it is padded correctly and foward it to England. Terry always adds a little extra to my Paypal for doing helping him. I guess filling out customs forms bother some sellers. Look on Ebay UK I think Terry's name is Zapperious on Ebay, has a house full of R2R and hundreds of reels and pancakes of new tape. When we use Skype he always has a different Studer or rare Revox he shows me. He has a friend (Stu) that has a site with dozens of rare "MINT" Studer/Revox and other R2R he collects. They both have been collecting Studers for years as Terry is like "Tinman" he can strip a A-77 down and recap etc and have it back together in short order. have fun with the Revox Rich, I record on mine several times a week now thanks to "Tinman".
Louis
Klipsch KLF C7, RS3-II
Klipsch Sub 12 300/650 X3
Yamaha RX-V1900 HD AVR
Yamaha CDC-697 A-1000 Class A
Pioneer PL-518X TT Pickering XUV D4500Q
Nakamichi BX-100
Old 09-06-2012, 07:34 AM
TapeHeads.Net Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 390FE View Post
As for the Caps probably get at least a 50 Volt or higher, probably a ceramic disc type in the value listed on the schematic.
Those capacitors are 500uF electrolytics, you will not get disc ceramic capacitors in that value!

Regards,

Dave.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:03 AM
Tape is Dope

thanks for that dave