Tapeheads Forums

Go Back   Tapeheads Forums > Tape, Taping and Tape Machines > Cassette

Cassette All discussions pertaining to cassette decks including general usage, recording, playback, servicing tips, and blank tape.

Universal Capstan Motor

Old 08-08-2012, 01:42 PM
tapeheads.net supporter

transfering AEI background music tapes

i got two of these to transfer. i took on the challenge as a learning experience. the tapes supposedly achieved 4hrs playtime from a standard cassette. they achieved this without degrading SQ too much.

what they did...
the tapes seem to be standard 90 minute type 2 tapes. they recorded them as two independent mono tracks in one direction, and two in the other. speed was slowed down by approximately 25% or so. this effectively gave you an hour play time in each direction per track. this is how they got about 4hrs per tape.

using audacity you can digitize the tracks by playing them into the PC as a standard stereo cassette, turn left and right into independent mono tracks, and slow down speed by about 25% or so. they sound fine for their intended purpose, background music.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AEI GAP tape 1.jpg (81.2 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg AEI GAP tape 2.jpg (81.6 KB, 24 views)
Old 08-08-2012, 04:00 PM
Dream tape never ends

I like the ominous-sounding warning that "this tape will not play on consumer equipment". Reminds me of an answering machine tape I have which uses a weird 2-track format and one side sounds reversed on normal equipment. The warnings on the tape made it sound like my deck would explode or something.

Maybe they tried to protect me from the disturbing-sounding reverse speech?
Old 08-09-2012, 08:21 PM
TapeHeads.Net Member

Talking AEI taping

I acquired a stash of these from a local business that had stored these and forgot about them. The player was long gone, found one on ebay for 10.00 -20.00. The tapes? everything from Beatles to Broadway tunes.What makes listening to the Beatles fun is all songs are faded into one another in a random order.Four hours of the fab four,Oh yea.... the player is rated at 25 watts output. Hooked up to a 1st generation Bose 301 speaker it all sounds just amazing. It's not like I need stereo in my garage.....