Tapeheads Forums

Go Back   Tapeheads Forums > Tape, Taping and Tape Machines > Reel To Reel

Reel To Reel All discussions pertaining to reel to reel decks including general usage, recording, playback, servicing tips and blank tape.

Universal Capstan Motor

Old 07-20-2012, 01:07 PM
Serious Tapehead

Reelstop American Airlines prerecorded tapes

Hello everyone, I recently bought three tapes on second hand market, as you can see on these images:

They are longplay tapes, 1800ft, full of music at 3 3/4 ips 4 track.
I've only listened to one tape for about 20 minutes, it does sound pretty good, better then the most prerecorded tapes I have of popular music albums.

Does anybody know more about this kind of tapes?
It says "American Airlines".
Were they used for background music? Or maybe everyone could buy them? (ar the airport maybe? :D)

From the artists and titles on the tapes I would say they would be from somewhere late 1960's.

So I'm just being curiuos. The seller didn't know anything about the tapes, suppose he just found them on some attic nobody had been in 30 years.
CD player: AMC CD8
Turntable: Rega P25
Speakers: IMF ALS-40-II
Old 07-20-2012, 01:13 PM
RTR FREAK and Tapeheads Supporter

I believe, according to DaveinVa, that they were primarily used in airport lounges basically as muzak.

I have a few of them - when I just need something to play for awhile, I'll put one on my RT-707.

Note there is the "classical" series, and then the "popular" series - which was contemporary songs of the era. I noticed that the "popular" ones go for a lot more on Ebay than the "classical". To me, the "popular" ones are so dated now, that the classical stuff, being as timeless as it is, is more listenable!

CASS: 1/2 DZ
Old 07-20-2012, 01:25 PM
Serious Tapehead

Thanks for your information.
As I do not live in America (but in the Netherlands) I was a bit surprised to find them over here.

This is what's written on the back of the boxes:

- American Airlines Astrovision Classical Program CW-1 (Command Westminster Stereo Tape)
- American Airlines Astrovision Popular Program No. 20 W-20 (United Artists Stereo Tape)
- American Airlines Astrovision Popular Program No. 11 W11 (Warner Brothers & Reprise Stereo Tape)

Payd 15 Euro's (18 US Dollar) for all three together, with a free pile of antique unique blank tapes on acetate base, seemedd like a fun deal.
CD player: AMC CD8
Turntable: Rega P25
Speakers: IMF ALS-40-II
Old 07-20-2012, 01:34 PM
Serious Tapehead

Definitely for lounge. The airplanes themselves do use tape (it's far more reliable/shock-proof than optical media, both for audio and video) but newer versions use solid-state media (memory cards).
Old 07-20-2012, 05:28 PM
Supporter of Reel Analog-resistance is futile!

From the Westminster and Command graphics on the box, I'd say that these should have some very well recorded classical on them. Command was the audiophile label of Enoch Light. They pioneered recording on movie film back in the 60's. Very nice tapes even at 3 3/4ips is always a great find. )(
Old 07-20-2012, 06:03 PM
RTR FREAK and Tapeheads Supporter

The tapes I have are well-recorded. Back in their day, these reels could have also been in the planes, but I wouldn't vouch for that. I believe the tape machines on board were of an endless loop type of cartridge - not a consumer format.

Although I remember (TWA Boeing 707) seeing my first "Inflight Movie" (The Heroes Of Telemark -ca. 1965) in 16mm from a drop down capsule in the overhead! The staff even passed out a full-color program guide to the passengers! It was a big deal back then. Now people are bored to death staring at the seatback flat panels with so many channels! And with sat TV to boot!

Progress? Dunno...

CASS: 1/2 DZ
Old 07-20-2012, 06:06 PM
Long Live Magnetic Medium

I have 4 of these tapes...I can't remember exactly what I have,will need to scan them in and let you guys see what they are,they don't look like these I don't think. Rob