Tapeheads Forums

Go Back   Tapeheads Forums > Tape, Taping and Tape Machines > Reel To Reel

Reel To Reel All discussions pertaining to reel to reel decks including general usage, recording, playback, servicing tips and blank tape.

Universal Capstan Motor

Old 07-19-2012, 08:04 AM
audiophool deluxe

Tascam 70-4

This is a Tascam 70-4 I bought from a college studio surplus auction in the late 70's. It uses 1/2" tape and is 4 channels 1/2 track. 7.5 & 15 ips. I used this for taping local bands for a short time back then along with a TEAC/TASCAM Model 3 Mixer that I also still have. I know these machines are not very well thought of when compared to "real" machines like Ampex 350's & 440's etc but I still prefer it over having to go 4 channels on 1/4" tape because at least you can get the extra dynamics of twice the tape width and you don't have to use noise reduction as much. Both the 70-4 and the Model 3 can both be improved sith simple mods such as replacing the op amps with newer lower noise versions for instance. I hadn't powered this thing up in decades and it actually still mostly works but it will need a good clean and lube and new belts. (1 capstan and 2 counter belts). I found I still have several empty spools and still sealed pancakes and some still sealed Scotch Dynarange tapes. I will add more pics when I get the belts and take it apart for its cleaning. I also need to find a relay for it as I had forgotten the reason I quit using it was one of the relays went bad I would swap the relays depending on whether I wanted it to rewind or FF.

Dave

Last edited by DaveInVA; 07-20-2012 at 09:40 AM.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:30 AM
Serious Tapehead

This must be one of the first Tascams. I've never seen it before....
Old 07-19-2012, 12:51 PM
Skywave Tape Deck Repair

I have seen the 70 series decks before at the factory service this was back in 1985. These were considered old then. That does not mean that if the unit is in good shape that it could not be a use to some person as the build quality was pretty good back then. Relays are cheap and easy to replace and cost little. I replaced some in the older Scully 280B units that were not functioning at Moody Radio. There might even be a person looking to offload some material in that format to computer- that is where the value of an item like this lies. Finding a clean one like this is rather a rare thing.

Sam Palermo, BSEE, past Broadcast Engineer
Skywave Tape Deck Repair- Chicago area
(630)616-0932 Office/ 708-334-2260 Cell, E mail:skywavebe@sbcglobal.net
Past Teac/Tascam Lead Service Technician at Chicago Factory Service still doing repairs.
http://www.thumbtack.com/il/bensenvi...tascam-repairs
Need Tape? http://www.splicit.com/index.html, The BEST SM are from Stereomanuals.com!
Old 07-19-2012, 01:10 PM
audiophool deluxe

The college I got it from claimed they rarely used it because they had some higher end machines with more tracks and this one mostly sat around thus the reason they auctioned it off when it was only a few years old. The heads look great. I only put about 50-75 hours on it myself and except for me lugging it through a few house moves its just been sitting. I tried looking up the Model 3 mixer on Fleabay and the few that come up are all beat to crap. This one is in great shape except for a scuff on the vinyl wrist pad. It even still has the removable slide pot couplers for dual channel fading. I saw a Tascam 70-8 but thats 8 channels on 1/2" tape so only half the track width as mine is 1/2" tape 4 track/channel.
Now I just need to get some belts. The old ones are present and the capstan one is working but you can see light cracks on it. The counter belts are permanently frozen in the shapes they are in and wont move. I bought some belts for it a few years ago and have misplaced them not to be found again until after I buy another set I'm sure. Nobody has them listed anymore so I will have to measure the originals and do some hunting. The college gave me the service/op manual also. The relays are just plug in ice cube style. Shouldn't be to hard to find something that will work (unless its like Akai ice cube relays which are un-obtainium and you have to hardwire different relays in)

Dave

Last edited by DaveInVA; 07-19-2012 at 01:35 PM.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:19 PM
Proud Jaguar Owner

Very cool to see that powered up. I had some of those fader links that are on the model 3, but never knew what they were for (they came in a box of random stuff), and neither did the previous owner. So they're long gone.

Those meters are cool as hell. Love the design of the whole thing.

Technics SL-1200mk2, Ortofon OM20, Hyper-modded Audio Research SP3, Poseidon'd Dynaco MkIII's (or a Yamaha PC-5002M), Klipsch Chorus II's
The Deck Collection: Ampex AG-440B (x2), Ampex AG-351, MCI JH-110C, Teac A-3340S, Tascam 34B, 48, 122B, DA-38, 3M 1/2" 4tk M64, Technics RS-1500, Tandberg 62x, Teac 3300S, Otari MX-5050, and more!
Old 07-19-2012, 01:51 PM
Skywave Tape Deck Repair

The Model 3 was an enhancement on the earlier Model 2 and it has some interesting capabilities. I would not JUST stick Bi Fet Op amps in the unit as they need to be power bypassed which most people do not do and they just sit and oscillate at 3 MHz and burn themselves out. I have had to put back many original 4558 or 4559 to repair those. However with the right application better op amps could be installed for a slight enhancement. The Model 3 was followed by the M30, then M35 and the the M50 showed up which resulted in the M512 and M520 branch. There were also some smaller M200 boards made and the the M300's.

Sam Palermo, BSEE, past Broadcast Engineer
Skywave Tape Deck Repair- Chicago area
(630)616-0932 Office/ 708-334-2260 Cell, E mail:skywavebe@sbcglobal.net
Past Teac/Tascam Lead Service Technician at Chicago Factory Service still doing repairs.
http://www.thumbtack.com/il/bensenvi...tascam-repairs
Need Tape? http://www.splicit.com/index.html, The BEST SM are from Stereomanuals.com!
Old 07-19-2012, 02:12 PM
audiophool deluxe

Forgot to mention these machines use Ferrite heads and they seem to be the only part still listed as available NOS for these units....Still can't find a listing for the belts though. Will have to try and find them by dimensions.

Dave
Old 07-19-2012, 02:15 PM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywavebe View Post
I have seen the 70 series decks before at the factory service this was back in 1985. These were considered old then.
How old would you estimate the Tascam 70-series?
Old 07-19-2012, 02:18 PM
audiophool deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutch_frank View Post
How old would you estimate the Tascam 70-series?
1973 and it was the first TASCAM branded piece of gear that didn't also say TEAC on it like the Model 3 mixer which says TEAC-Tascam series.

Dave

Last edited by DaveInVA; 07-19-2012 at 02:23 PM.
Old 07-20-2012, 12:49 PM
TapeHeads Newbie

The Tascam 70 series was derived from the TEAC 6010/7010/7030 family as the first Tascam product. The capstan motor and flywheel looks identical to my 6010GSL. Bet the belts are the same.
Old 07-20-2012, 01:21 PM
audiophool deluxe

Yes the 7030 upper transport above the controls looks very similar to the 70H series and like the 70H also uses 2 belts for the counter. I have a new set of belts but I misplaced them and they will likely turn up a day or 2 after I buy some others.

Dave