Tapeheads Forums

Go Back   Tapeheads Forums > Tape, Taping and Tape Machines > Cassette

Cassette All discussions pertaining to cassette decks including general usage, recording, playback, servicing tips, and blank tape.

Universal Capstan Motor

Old 07-15-2012, 12:10 PM
Serious Tapehead

Studio Standard By Fisher

Back in the spring of 1986 I bought a Studio Standard by Fisher dual cassette deck (model CR-W36) that I believe was on clearance at a (now defunct) Wall to Wall Sound and Video store. It was a very basic entry-level deck with hardly any "bells and whistles" (no auto-reverse or high-speed dubbing). It appeared to be a good deck, except for one issue I had, which started not long after I bought it. After passing the leader tape when starting playback or recording, both wells had a tendency to crinkle the edge of the tape. This only happened with certain cassettes. I was told by several people that it could've been bad pinch rollers or the tape guides were out of alignment. I never bothered taking it to be serviced, since I eventually replaced it with a (better) Technics model 2 years later (1988). I still hung onto the Fisher deck until about 12 years ago when I finally got rid of it. Despite the issue I had with that Fisher deck, I still got a lot of use out of it, since I tried using only tapes I knew the deck didn't crinkle. One other disadvantage of that deck was its size. It was shorter than the average cassette deck/audio component, making it impossible to stack components on top of it. Anyway, what are your thoughts on 1980's-era Fisher Studio Standard series cassette decks???
Old 07-15-2012, 12:57 PM
Am I doing this right?

By 1986, Fisher wasn't the standard for anything. I'm sure you can find worse gear than 80's Fisher stuff, but you'd have to look pretty hard.

And I love this smiley
Old 07-15-2012, 12:58 PM
tapeheads.net supporter

honestly...
they are pretty low on the totem pole. most of them were sold as part of rack systems which rarely had anything all that great in them.
Old 07-15-2012, 01:27 PM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke4mcl View Post
honestly...
they are pretty low on the totem pole. most of them were sold as part of rack systems which rarely had anything all that great in them.
Would you say that 1980's-era Fisher rack systems were equivalent to (or on the "same level" as) the Aiwa mini component/shelf systems of the 1990's?
Old 07-15-2012, 01:51 PM
The King of CROWN!

Talking

I've always referred to them as Studio Apartment Standard by Fisher.

Glad to be a Tapeheads.net supporter
Old 07-15-2012, 02:00 PM
RTR FREAK and Tapeheads Supporter

Fisher wasn't Fisher ages ago! Once they were sold to the Far East, the party was over. In the `50's and `60's, their audio components were regarded very highly by audiophiles. The U.S. company never dabbled in tape. All that `80's stuff was just house junk with their label on it. Simply marketing to get the last dying mile out of their once good name!

CASS: 1/2 DZ

Last edited by Bandwidth; 07-15-2012 at 02:01 PM. Reason: addendum
Old 07-15-2012, 02:18 PM
Serious Tapehead

I remember when I was living with my dad back in the 1980's I would look through the store circulars that came in the Sunday paper every week and a couple of high-end department stores (Macy's, etc.) would advertise several brands of stereo rack systems, which included Fisher, Sony, Kenwood, Technics, etc. and I would literally "drool" over the sight of those systems, with all their LED lights and huge speakers that stood as tall as the rack that housed the components! With "100 watts-per-channel" in the ad's description of the systems and their overall appearances, I knew they had to be LOUD! I've often fantasized about having one of those (including the Fisher) dominating our living room! Obviously I became the owner of *part* of a Fisher rack system when I bought that dual deck in 1986!

Last edited by Timothy1964; 07-15-2012 at 02:22 PM.
Old 07-15-2012, 02:28 PM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Monte Slim View Post
I've always referred to them as Studio Apartment Standard by Fisher.
Back in the 1980's, around the time I bought my Fisher dual cassette deck, one of my friends who was big into Technics equipment, often referred to Fisher components as "Fisher Price", of coarse in reference to the toy brand!
Old 07-15-2012, 02:49 PM
tapeheads.net supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy1964 View Post
Would you say that 1980's-era Fisher rack systems were equivalent to (or on the "same level" as) the Aiwa mini component/shelf systems of the 1990's?
sadly yes. aiwa built some badass little mini component systems in the 80's but by the 90's they were making kiddie crap all in one shelf systems. id steer clear of that studio standard stuff. it was made by sanyo. theres a few 3 head decks they made under the studio standard name but most of the gear they produced was kinda lousy.

with tape decks being something most people shun nowdays, you can score some really pricey decks for under $20 at many thrift stores if you're patient.
Old 07-15-2012, 05:36 PM
Public Safety Radio Tech

Fisher was bought by Sanyo in 1983/1984, so anything built after that point is a rebadged Sanyo. Some high end Sanyo stuff was pretty decent, most of it is BPC.

I used to have a Fisher branded BPC wonder box compact stereo circa 1986. Had a turntable (trash), dual well cassette deck (had Dolby B NR and all mechanical transport) and a PLL tuner. It sounded about as good as a $49 boom box, despite having a 10WPC amplifier. It could only record on type I tape, and had a ton of wow and flutter.

I enjoyed taking a baseball bat to it when it finally died around 1990 and I replaced it with my first "for real" receiver (Technics SA101) and Pioneer CT-F800 and CTF850.

I tied it too a tree and took out all the aggression a 15 year old could muster and blew that piece of BPC into about two dozen pieces. It only took two slams to complete obliterate it. What a pile of crap that product was.
Old 07-15-2012, 11:33 PM
Certifiable Car Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRFLASHPORT View Post

I used to have a Fisher branded BPC wonder box compact stereo circa 1986. Had a turntable (trash), dual well cassette deck (had Dolby B NR and all mechanical transport) and a PLL tuner. It sounded about as good as a $49 boom box, despite having a 10WPC amplifier. It could only record on type I tape, and had a ton of wow and flutter.
Sounds a lot like the Fisher all in one stereo I have. It's not at all spectacular, but it doesn't take up much room, I only paid $10 for it (minus speakers) and it's just good enough for the very occasional use it gets on my front porch.

Many Fisher products from the Eighties and Nineties aren't all that great, although they did make a few badass boomboxes in the mid-Eighties.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:26 AM
tapeheads.net supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRFLASHPORT View Post
Fisher was bought by Sanyo in 1983/1984, so anything built after that point is a rebadged Sanyo.
you're off by a decade. the end came around 1974. the gear initially retained much of its original look but when you turn them around you see the telltale signs of japanese stereo gear and the made in japan label. i have quite a few fisher receivers, all made in USA though.
Old 07-16-2012, 02:28 PM
Serious Tapehead

Fisher Studio Standard reminded me of the horrible 80's vintage Scott components we sold as entry level gear. If the Webster dictionary had a photo next to BPC, it could be either one of these brands.
KLH Model 17 DBX-224
Homepage www.elitebypioneer.com
Old 07-16-2012, 02:44 PM
Serious Tapehead

When I used to wait on tables, a girl would come in ( I should have asked her out as she was hot but that is another story!) and she worked at the some company ( I think Sanyo) that also owned Fisher. She said the stuff was made like crap and they got a lot of returned stereos. A lot of it they didn't bother to fix because they used so much poor quality, wide tolerance components, that some stuff never would work right so they tossed it. The stuff was really, really poorly made.
At least that is what she told me.
Old 07-16-2012, 02:46 PM
proud hooptielac owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian74 View Post
Sounds a lot like the Fisher all in one stereo I have. It's not at all spectacular, but it doesn't take up much room, I only paid $10 for it (minus speakers) and it's just good enough for the very occasional use it gets on my front porch.

Many Fisher products from the Eighties and Nineties aren't all that great, although they did make a few badass boomboxes in the mid-Eighties.
I own one of those boomboxes (high speed dubbing dual well tape deck, 5 bar eq, seperate left and right volume controls, "wide surround"). Its a total POS. The eq marginally works. dubbing a tape, even at normal speed, sounds horrid. it always has reception issues. And forget about using the external speaker jacks. It totally messes up the eq and volume controls. The wide surround does sound pretty cool though, if highly inaccurate SQ wise. I've used if for sound for video games and was happy with it (but it makes music sound 'off.')
Old 07-16-2012, 03:43 PM
Serious Tapehead

Would anyone say that the Fisher Studio Standard dual deck (CR-W36) I bought in 1986 was BPC??? As I've said, despite the issue I had with it crinkling the edge of some tapes, it did get a lot of usage during the 2 years from the time I bought it until I bought a Technics dual deck in early 1988, then it was used off and on until I got rid of it in 1999 or 2000.
Old 07-16-2012, 04:12 PM
Am I doing this right?

Unfortunately, yes. It's badge-engineered Sanyo, and not even good Sanyo.

And I love this smiley
Old 07-16-2012, 06:05 PM
tapeheads.net supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy1964 View Post
Would anyone say that the Fisher Studio Standard dual deck (CR-W36) I bought in 1986 was BPC??? As I've said, despite the issue I had with it crinkling the edge of some tapes, it did get a lot of usage during the 2 years from the time I bought it until I bought a Technics dual deck in early 1988, then it was used off and on until I got rid of it in 1999 or 2000.

yeah man, sadly it is. when i was a teen i saved up to buy my first dual deck at radioshack. paid like $129 back in about 1989. looking back that deck was total BPC (was gray though). i got plenty of use out of that deck but if i saw one now i'd smile and keep walking.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:28 PM
Yeah? Well, MINE goes to 11!

My memory is fuzzy, but I think Avery sold Fisher to Emerson sometime around 1969. Emerson then sold the brand to Sanyo in the mid 70's.

I RESTORE VINTAGE AUDIO AND VIDEO GEAR. Master technician for Pioneer, Sony, Marantz, Concept. Endorsed by Richard Schram for Concept product restoration. Worked for Yamaha and JVC as a factory tech. Sonics consultant for Denon. Pacific Stereo "crazy-expert" salesman. I would stand on my hands to sell a hifi while simultaneously explaining how eight-to-fourteen modulation works. Pacific service manager, Central Service lead tech, liquidator at our demise. Infinity IRS dealer. Authorized servicer for virtually every brand on the planet at one time or another. Music addict. Mastering & recording engineer, weaned on a Neve (no other console sounds like a Neve!). Industry-respected ears. Head Tapehead.

Need vintage audio & video repair and restoration, or unobtanium semiconductors and parts? Ask me! And do visit the website: pacificstereo.net
Old 07-16-2012, 06:47 PM
tapeheads.net supporter

fisher sold to emerson fan company (not radio) in about 69 then emerson sold fisher to sanyo in 73