Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums
Universal Capstan Motor

Go Back   Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums > Tape, Taping and Tape Machines > Cassette > Cassette Tape Media

Cassette Tape Media All aspects of tape itself; quality, characteristics, experiences, use and storage.

Donate to Tapeheads!

Old 07-12-2012, 01:47 PM
Serious Tapehead

Digalog cassettes

I picked up the Foo Fighters - There is nothing left to lose on Digalog cassette and have to say that it sounds fantastic. I believe these tapes used a quality cobalt formulation.
Old 07-12-2012, 01:52 PM
Miami Space Transit Planetarium 11/1966-8/2015

i got a tape the other day marked Digalog with a sticker on the back. what is that?
Old 07-13-2012, 01:01 PM
Serious Tapehead

It means that the cassettes were made from a digital master.

Loop bin duplication
Old 07-13-2012, 01:40 PM
Serious Tapehead

"Digalog"--an amalgam of digital and analogue--is a trademark of the WEA (Warner/Electra/Atlantic) group that had duplication facilities in Olyphant, PA, (Specialty Records) and Los Angeles, CA, (Allied). WEA used Concept Designs' digital bins feeding slaves enabled with Dolby HX. The vast majority of the tape was BASF LH-D, the basic Type I ferric noted for excellent consistency and low rub-off. Other tape could be SKC or Aurex ferric tapes.
Old 07-13-2012, 05:14 PM
Serious Tapehead

Later cassette tapes are recorded from digital master bins, therefore they have a more digital-like sound, e.g. crisper and sterile, sound characteristics that are associated with digital sound. This happened in the mid 80's. (around that time)
Old 07-13-2012, 10:19 PM
Miami Space Transit Planetarium 11/1966-8/2015

ug, early digital...
if its anything like early RCA victor red seal digital master LP's, it will be lousy.
Old Yesterday, 01:12 AM
TapeHeads Newbie

Digalog (off Techmoanís video)

Hi everybody from a long-time (1982-2010) FM-to-cassette archivist. Iíve since jumped the fence to Audacity/iTunes AAC128 kbps mainly because of lack of space and indexing.

Does anybody have specifications related to Digalog? Here is my understanding of it:

16/44 digital audio is bin-duplicated at 8x, meaning the DACs operate at 3.528 MHz (at 12 or 14 bits?) and the recording head replaces the low-pass filter to reconstruct the analog audio directly on the magnetic tape. This process perhaps cancels the need for bias because of the audio images in the unfiltered audio, or perhaps at 8x, the amount of HF-energy is so high as to self-bias the recording.

Is this credible?
Old Yesterday, 06:00 AM
Dream tape never ends

Rather than PCM, the heads are driven by PWM -almost like a class D amplifier or the DSD signal on a SACD, and yes, it's plausible enough that some random dude on YouTube managed to record on a cassette using nothing more than a modified 555-timer circuit.

The source material was likely CD (16/44) or DAT (16/48) depending on how it was mastered, but once it's converted to PWM or DSD the effective bit depth has no clear correspondence to the original PCM material anymore, as the way of converting is not unique. In any case, it sounded good, which is what mattered
Old Yesterday, 07:38 AM
Serious Tapehead

I am not sure how the "digital bin" works. There are several methods anyway, each to every manufacturer.
AFAIK, all of them used DACs inside, 4 of them (all channels are written at once), then the filters and finally the recording system (head). Bias is to my knowledge still present. Even Dolby is created digitally on some systems (CBS for instance). Some of them use arrays of RAM cells, other use arrays of optical discs, some use HDDs - practically every digital storage technology has been used to intermediary store the music, once the videotape has been "retired" from use.

There is no self-biasing or anything like, since the bandwidth is controlled (10khz, 15khz) and the speed cancels the high-frequency influence.
Old Yesterday, 09:26 AM
Serious Tapehead

Digital makes sense when viewed through the eyes of business.

The music business has buried itself.

"It all makes perfect sense, expressed in dollars and cents"

"Radio friendly unit shifters" LOL

The irony is, they have to embrace analog, if they want to sell any music.
Old Yesterday, 11:49 AM
An Awesome Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapis
Later cassette tapes are recorded from digital master bins, therefore they have a more digital-like sound, e.g. crisper and sterile, sound characteristics that are associated with digital sound. This happened in the mid 80's. (around that time)
Yes i avoid all of those like crazy.... I want ANALOG on my analogue media

When you stop watching what they want you to watch you stop thinking what they want you to think.. Then you see a world that is nothing like they tell you it is.

Last edited by Dude111; Yesterday at 08:16 PM.
Old Yesterday, 01:20 PM
Live Long and Prosper..

I can't say I avoided them at all. Quite the opposite, I EMBRACED them as a whole. Compared to the previous generations of cassettes, these sounded and performed leagues ahead, almost like a gift from the audio gods. In fact these tapes were SO good, they kept me from switching over to digital anything in my competition audio cars as well as the others I owned. I believe that the old-school analog/digital cassettes, and cassette as a whole gave my system's an edge over others..

Wait, don't we do something similar to digilog today, use high resolution digital sources to record on Analog tape (open reel) with outstanding results, albeit at 1:1 speed??..

I will say however, the cassettes I used then, I still own and use, a great number of them were the DigiLog releases, or some very similar with HX Pro, all store bought, though I did make my own custom mix cassettes on Type I and II cassettes. I found overall Type I was better for the car. CD just didn't do it in the cars or trucks I built audio systems for and didn't put a CD player in anything I owned, or buy a car or truck with one until I got my Durango, and later on my wife's first Cadillac. The Durango to it's credit sounded very nice for a stock system albeit one with Infinity Drivers and Amps separate from the head unit.

The Digilog cassettes (I made a post about them similar to this one several months back) to my ears at least on my gear have always sounded the best out of all the releases on pre recorded cassette. Now let me qualify and clarify that, I am speaking of popular releases strictly, not the specialty or Classical music releases. I can not speak to their quality on Digilog or otherwise. Other music,.., Country, Pop, Disco, Rap, Blues, Rock, if I had my druthers between buying CD back in the day probably today if someone (like MoFi, or Chad Kassam over at Quality Records (QRP) released Digilog recorded cassettes), were to begin selling them made similar on duplication machines designed similar to the way Nakamichi did with their better cassette transports, I'd quit buying CD's for the most part. If he began selling open reel pre records, the same applies, but to Cassette CD, and in most cases LP. That is another story for another day.

In the meantime I'll enjoy the Digilog releases, and buy them wherever and whenever I can.... the less that folks that like them, the more there are for me.....
Old Yesterday, 01:35 PM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
This is nonsense. Analogue flaws of the cassette medium itself are greater than any flaws of the digital source. The alternative to a digital bin was a master tape recorded at 3.75 ips--the lowest speed that barely makes the high fidelity cut--and run to death in a high-speed bin. That may be the preference for those who like a double-dose of harmonic distortion, modulation distortion, noise, and limited frequency response; but it was what the recording engineers were trying to avoid in order to present a cassette copy as close to the stereo master tape as possible.
Old Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Serious Tapehead

Looks to me like they do it in reel time when in studios, and at half speed when cutting vinyl......

"Im from the record company, and I'm here to help".

We're going to make your cassettes in seconds from a digital master........because,

It sounds better......"

Last edited by CaryAudio; Yesterday at 02:18 PM.
Old Yesterday, 05:30 PM
Serious Tapehead

Cary, do you ever tire of trolling this forum with the same nonsense you repeat in almost every single thread?
Old Yesterday, 08:20 PM
An Awesome Dude

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryAudio
"Im from the record company, and I'm here to help".

We're going to make your cassettes in seconds from a digital master........because,

It sounds better......"
Hehe ya Cary...... I wish I could have talked to these people directly and tell them to stop forcing this garbage on people!!!

Digital is flat,sterile crap and I dont want it.... WHY DO THEY THINK I DONT GET DIGITAL MEDIA??

I'd love to have been able to tell them to take thier digital crap and shove it up thier ass!!

When you stop watching what they want you to watch you stop thinking what they want you to think.. Then you see a world that is nothing like they tell you it is.
Old Yesterday, 09:52 PM
Serious Tapehead

They dug their own grave.

No more all night coke parties with rock stars.......

Even store employees at Tower were partying like rock stars!

They tapped every penny they could and now it's all bust.

My kids own NO physical media!!!!!

Hollywood is next!!!!!!!!!!

They took the best part of music, the emotion, and tossed it in the garbage.

I bought a 45 rpm double LP and it sounded lifeless. Digital master from one of the best guys in the business.

A 45 rpm from a 50 year old tape kills it all day long.

MQA is supposed to be the next band aid for digital.

We will see..........

Until than, I just bought another 505.

Money in the bank......
Old Yesterday, 09:53 PM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max77 View Post
Cary, do you ever tire of trolling this forum with the same nonsense you repeat in almost every single thread?
Go to the compact disc section or ones and zeros.

That's your "safe space"
Old Yesterday, 10:04 PM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryAudio View Post
Go to the compact disc section or ones and zeros.

That's your "safe space"
I rarely post in there, however less than a year ago when you got a new Cary DAC you claimed, "It's so good that I stopped listening to records. Has the attributes of vinyl but with a black background."

What changed? Now digital is the worst thing ever? What will you say another year from now? DSD is the best?
Old Yesterday, 11:04 PM
Serious Tapehead

Upgraded my amplifier. Bought a CR-7. Bought some NOS chrome and metal tapes. Bought a Teac X2000R. Heard a copy of a master tape. Bought some 45 rpm re-issues.

In analog you chase the sound because it can be improved on, digital is free so it is what it is.

To quote David Geffen, "No one would buy Coke if it came out of your tap for free"

There you go.

There's a very real reason why all this stuff is going up in value.

A NOT MINT Dragon went for 2550 last week.

Would you like to see your company or site here?  CONTACT US
For more Tapeheads affiliates and links, see the Links and Resources page.