Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums
High quality analog audio tape for professionals and enthusiasts alike.

Go Back   Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums > Tape, Taping and Tape Machines > Cassette

Cassette All discussions pertaining to cassette decks. These include general usage, recording, playback and service questions. For subjects related to tape itself, see the Cassette Tape subforum under this one. Obscure service subjects that don't quite fit go in the Help and Do It Yourself subforum.

Donate to Tapeheads!

Old 06-23-2012, 11:00 AM
Serious Tapehead

Tape Deck Shootout- Take 2

General Announcement:

Last year we hosted a ‘tape deck shoot out’ at our shop. Afterwards, once the pictures and article was posted there were immediate raised eyebrows and dubious comments regarding the entire event. Although this was more done for fun than scientific fact finding, some still regarded this as ‘silly’, ‘stupid’ and in one comment ‘totally bogus’.

So, here we are a year later and rather than let sleeping dogs lie, we decided to kick the hornets nest one more time. This time we are using a bigger stick though. On Saturday, July 7th we will have Brent Butterworth from Sound & Vision Magazine here in our shop with an array of scientific audio gear to help us out with a bigger, better ‘tape deck shoot out’. Here’s the catch: rather than use our own decks we are inviting people to bring in their decks for this head to head challenge.

If you want to participate, let us know however due to time constraints there will be a limited number of ‘spots’ open. We will provide all refreshments and crying towels…
Of course, all findings will be published on our website with pictures.

If you want to attend, contact our shop at 604-594-9575.

I spoke to Gordon this morning to sign up for a spot in the Cassette Deck Shootout happening on the evening of July 7th at Innovative Audio in Surrey, British Columbia, Canada. I copied his original post which appeared in a different thread to give it more exposure, here.

I'm looking forward to this one, as I'll be bringing my Esoteric V-9000 for this Shootout session. I hope someone will be bringing a Pioneer deck, as I don't want to field two decks in this event. I purchased my Esoteric V-9000 at Innovative Audio, and it is one of many fine, exclusive components found there. I'm glad I got this one.

Nando.

Last edited by Elite-ist; 06-23-2012 at 11:13 AM.
Old 06-23-2012, 11:07 AM
B&O, Revox, Sony, Akai and Nakamichi

I would love to meet up with my Beocord 9000, but it is unfortunately a little difficult for me as the event is taking place several thousand miles from my home.
Old 06-23-2012, 11:29 AM
___

Should be fun.

I'll look forward to reading about this.
Old 06-23-2012, 04:44 PM
Serious Tapehead

I'd like to be there for the whole event. Sounds like a blast!

Ron
Old 06-23-2012, 05:47 PM
I'm fanatic about recording with a magnet!

Personally, I'd like to hear how a run-of-the-mill RX-505 fares against some of the "big dogs" out there...
Power: Yamaha A-510 & R-8, Stereotech 1200 |Tuner: Sansui TU-217 | Speakers: Tannoy Proto-J, JBL L80T, Infinity RS-1|
Old 06-23-2012, 06:00 PM
Long Live Magnetic Medium

I wish I could show up...I'm working that day,and would like to bring up a couple of my 2-headers to try,along with...shall I even dare suggest (gasp!!)...a dual-well...or a (double gasp!!)...an 8-track deck!!!!! Rob
Old 06-23-2012, 10:53 PM
DeAmerikaanseTapEigenaar

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrokeeper View Post
I wish I could show up...I'm working that day,and would like to bring up a couple of my 2-headers to try,along with...shall I even dare suggest (gasp!!)...a dual-well...or a (double gasp!!)...an 8-track deck!!!!! Rob
Bring a shoebox along as well!

This would be interesting for me to attend, but I too am a considerable distance away.

Receiver: Scott R33S Speakers: GE A1-401, Wharfedale W-60 Cassette: Nakamichi RX-202/CR-1A R2R: Akai 1730-SS CD: ADC 16/2R
Old 06-24-2012, 12:49 AM
The Morse Isn't Random

I wish I lived on the other side of the Atlantic, there's always something exciting going on!

I'd love to organise a UK event but as most of you know, I can't plan any further than a couple of weeks due to my 'drop everything - you're off to wherever for an undetermined amount of time' job.

Come early 2015, I'll be free of my (I'm only in it for the pension) job and maybe be able to sort something.

Looking forward to seeing the results Nando!

Regards, Kelv

Go on you know you want to. Go on, go, on, go on, go on.
Old 06-24-2012, 05:45 AM
RTR FREAK & TH SUPPORTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Kelv View Post
I wish I lived on the other side of the Atlantic, there's always something exciting going on!

Yeah, but you guys got great beer and pubs! That would be exciting enough for me - couple of pints of Boddington's and settle down to watch some reels go `round - I could handle that!

CASS: 1/2 DZ
Old 06-24-2012, 08:16 AM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaeTee View Post
Personally, I'd like to hear how a run-of-the-mill RX-505 fares against some of the "big dogs" out there...
John: my plan was to bring my RX-505 to run in the Shootout. I don't think it will be ready in time (waiting on a back-ordered Dolby chip) to have it there. I would consider the RX-505 as being much more than run-of-the mill. How has yours been working since having it repaired?

Nando.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:31 AM
The Morse Isn't Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandwidth View Post
Yeah, but you guys got great beer and pubs! That would be exciting enough for me - couple of pints of Boddington's and settle down to watch some reels go `round - I could handle that!
You'll be lucky to get a pint of Boddingtons now - it was discontinued in March.

On a lighter note, there's plenty of regional beers to choose from.

Regards, Kelv

Go on you know you want to. Go on, go, on, go on, go on.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:40 AM
Serious Tapehead

Nando,

It would be interesting to see you guys do a shoot-out with some well tuned R2R's.

Ron
Old 06-24-2012, 11:01 AM
RTR FREAK & TH SUPPORTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Kelv View Post
You'll be lucky to get a pint of Boddingtons now - it was discontinued in March.

On a lighter note, there's plenty of regional beers to choose from.

Regards, Kelv
Kelv - I'm crushed!! Boddies is distributed here in the States - I guess I'd better grab some while I can - ditto on other great UK brews, though!

CASS: 1/2 DZ
Old 06-24-2012, 11:39 AM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldaudioscho View Post
Nando,

It would be interesting to see you guys do a shoot-out with some well tuned R2R's.

Ron
Ron: I will speak to Gordon about a future "Open-Reel Shootout." That's one I would love to see happen! Either my Pioneer RT-909 or Akai GX-747 would be a participant. If we decided to do a 7" R2R Shootout first, I would bring my Pioneer RT-707 for that one.

Nando.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:59 AM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite-ist View Post
Ron: I will speak to Gordon about a future "Open-Reel Shootout." That's one I would love to see happen! Either my Pioneer RT-909 or Akai GX-747 would be a participant. If we decided to do a 7" R2R Shootout first, I would bring my Pioneer RT-707 for that one.

Nando.
It would be interesting to see if Gordon would support that idea. One of the problems I see with this idea is setting the decks for a certain tape. It could be both time consuming and expensive.Those are great choices for decks. However, I think the 747 would be in trouble if a 636 is in the lineup. This is just my opinion.
Old 06-24-2012, 12:13 PM
TapeHeads.Net Member

What is the plan?
Are the machines turned up and is Dolby used?
How about bringing a Revox B77 and using vinyl for comparisons?

Last edited by tmblack; 06-24-2012 at 12:59 PM.
Old 06-24-2012, 12:54 PM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmblack View Post
What is the plan?
Are the machines turned up and a common tape (perhaps metal) used thoughout?
You can check out our first Cassette Deck Shootout done last year at Innovative Audio. http://www.iavscanada.com/art_cassette_shootout.htm

With Brent Butterrworth there for this year's Shootout, I expect a more methodic approach to this event. It will be up to each owner/participant to ensure their decks are ready. This will be a "run-whatch-ya-brung" Shootout. Remember, we are still talking of cassettes which are more representative of what you would expect from a 20-30 year old component. No "ringers" or "super-tuning" allowed. (I added that comment to help fuel the good-natured side of this event)

Nando.

Last edited by Elite-ist; 06-24-2012 at 03:11 PM.
Old 06-25-2012, 07:24 AM
Serious Tapehead

Nando, sorry for asking but what do you mean with 'ringers' and 'super-tuning' ?
Old 06-25-2012, 10:14 AM
TapeHeads.Net Member

I have read the first shootout reports, but we can surely build on it.

While very informative, I think a test report of frequency response if not distortion and W&F would be very useful and meaningful.

Secondly while 24x96 is a very good format, vinyl or master tape! source would be more revealing of coloration and lack of resolution, poor imaging.
Its more probable that we are using tape to record analog, not FLAC which we already have or CD which can be burnt.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:42 AM
I'm fanatic about recording with a magnet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite-ist View Post
John: my plan was to bring my RX-505 to run in the Shootout. I don't think it will be ready in time (waiting on a back-ordered Dolby chip) to have it there. I would consider the RX-505 as being much more than run-of-the mill. How has yours been working since having it repaired?

Nando.
Well, I meant run-of-the-mill from the perspective that they are relatively easy to find, not from a performance point of view.

Mine is doing great. In fact, I'm listening to it right now, with a green MA-XG with some great tunes on it. Out of all of my decks, this one is most definitely my #1 keeper. I think that tape has already played three times today.
flip
Power: Yamaha A-510 & R-8, Stereotech 1200 |Tuner: Sansui TU-217 | Speakers: Tannoy Proto-J, JBL L80T, Infinity RS-1|

Would you like to see your company or site here?  CONTACT US
For more Tapeheads affiliates and links, see the Links and Resources page.