Tapeheads Forums

Go Back   Tapeheads Forums > Tape, Taping and Tape Machines > Other Tape

Other Tape Any analog format other than cassette or reel to reel; 8-track, Elcaset, microcassette, VHS, etc.

Universal Capstan Motor

Old 02-24-2012, 05:05 PM
TapeHeads.Net Member

Revox B-77 differences

Hi,
Newb here...sorry. Do you guys know if there was any differences in the B77's in regards to the tape counters? I swear I have seen some with red digital counters and ones with analog counters. I have the opportunity to pick up a super clean B77 and I am just trying educate myself on them over the next couple weeks. I would really like a red digital counter to match my B710MKII cassette deck that I will have serviced soon by Tinman.

Also, do you think it would be too much weight of the B77 to stack on top of the B710MKII? I think I would be set for life if I had those two units...

How hard is it to track down a wired remote for either of these units? I saw some place in Germany I think that sold these kits that retrofitted a Bang & Olufsen wireless remote and remote interface to work with these units. That would be alright but I would rather have a factory wired remote. There is something beefy and elegant to have shuttle control of these units from a wired remote. I have that on my Sony CDRW33 cd recorder and I love it.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:01 AM
Reel to reel fanatic

B77 info

Hi - have never seen a B77 with anything other than the old style index counter. It is heavy so I would personally be reluctant to stand it on any other equipment.

You do see the original Revox wired remotes from time to time on ebay - but I have an infra red remote that I picked up on ebay, Works really well and to be able to control it from a distance is fine. Mine also has a locking pause which the original Revox lacks.

Andy
Old 02-25-2012, 09:18 AM
TapeHeads.Net Member

Thanks for responding. I see this one here with the red digital readout.
It is a MKII but I can see all the other B77 MKII's with the analog meters also.

http://www.pauldakeyne.com/wp-conten...-b77-optmz.jpg

http://www.capstan.at/Reel2006/Galle...%20tonband.JPG

Maybe it's a mod. Or maybe they are using the B77 head cover and that's a different model? I don't know.
Old 02-26-2012, 05:25 PM
TapeHeads.Net Member

I think I am going to pass on the B77 for now. I have a cosmetically cherry Revox B710MKII that hopefully Tinman can fix soon. And I am now saving my pennies for a Revox MR-8 mixer. Please hit me up if anyone sees one or has one for sale.
Old 03-17-2012, 08:53 AM
Serious Tapehead

I rarely stumble into this section, but the B77 with an LED counter...

Those are ALL retrofit jobs. Some, like the one you are posted, are extremely well done. Note that he also added the counter roller from a Studer to get the pulses.

Some use the whole assembly from a PR99, and others are totally from scratch.

Marc