Tapeheads Forums

Go Back   Tapeheads Forums > Tape, Taping and Tape Machines > Reel To Reel

Reel To Reel All discussions pertaining to reel to reel decks including general usage, recording, playback, servicing tips and blank tape.

Universal Capstan Motor

Old 01-18-2012, 11:26 PM
TapeHeads.Net Member

Reelspin Teac X1000R Problems, problems

Hi all. Well I know it says buyer beware but I purchased a Teac X-1000R tonight and paid what I thought was a great price for it of $450.00 after seeing them go on ebay for $999 or more. Well I went to pick it up and the guy put it into forward and some very loud crisp musice came through he then hooked up a microphone and showed me that what appeared to be both channels worked and played back allthough in hindisght I think both came out of the same speaker but that is not the main isssue. I sensed maybe something was wrong but dismissed it becasue the rest of the deck looked very clean and It had played fine (still not sure how he did that unless he had another source ready to play when he pressed play. Anyway the problem is that when I got home and hooked up an audio source into line input at the back the source was bright and clear but when I clicked the tape monitor I was shocked to realize I may have been had when I could barely hear it. So they are working in both directions but very softly and very faintly. So my question is could this be simply be a case of improper alignment of the heads or could they be damaged ? Also the fast forward to the right acts up and sometimes freezes about the 20 minute mark. is this a belt driven function or coudl the motor be defective. All in all going back to my roots, I last owned a reel to reel in 1971, has been very painful. Hope you folks can help as my wife did not want me to buy this unit and only agreed after I convinced her what a great deal it was. She is not a happy camper and I am afraid of what the cost will be to repair it. Any guess in a worst case scenario ? In a best case scenario ?

Thanks Don Barone
Old 01-19-2012, 08:45 AM
Serious Tapehead

Don't panic!

Well, not yet, anyway....

It sounds like a sticky shed tape issue, possibly. Did you look at the tape path and check to see that the heads and guides are perfectly clean?

Start there, please, and post back.

The residue from sticky tape will stop a reel to reel in it's tracks. Also cake up the heads, resulting in faint or no sound at all.

That's always the FIRST thing to look for before going into the mechanics.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:01 AM
Highly Biased

The other possiblity is you threaded the tape with a twist, so you are playing the back size rather than the oxide side.
If he plugged in one microphone, sound would only come out of one speaker.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:20 AM
Repair Professional

Assuming your deck has all of the standard X1000R defects, a full repair would be in the $300 to $400 range :

Repair pinch arm bearings, 2 new pinch rollers and belt, align tape tension servo, clean all pots/switches, full calibration of electronics.

As far a minimum repair cost, maybe $200. It's best in the long-term to do a full repair, however.
Old 01-21-2012, 12:04 PM
Serious Tapehead

You should, at the least, plan on replacing the belt. Get a genuine one from Teac parts in LA. Pinch rollers would be on my list as well, since they are still available (were $35 each the last time I bought any).
Old 01-25-2012, 06:21 AM
TapeHeads.Net Member

Problem solved

Hi Tinman you were right on the money apparently. The guy I bought it from was nice enough to give me my money back (yeah I don't believe it either) and then about 3 hours later sent me an email saying yes everything I had said about the unit was true and that after looking at the heads there was a black sticky substance on them which he says once they were cleaned the deck sounded brand new again. Even though he had had a later offer for a bit more money he has chosen to allow mw to buy it AGAIN for the same amount, $450.00 Canadian as I am in Canada. The problem that still would be there is that about halfway through fast forward with the large 10" reel the unit stops fast forwarding. I assume it is just the belt. The major reason I am buying a deck is so that my daughter can record her guitar or piano and sing on one track and then lay down the other instrument and sing harmony on the second track. Will this deck allow her to monitor one track while recording on the second track. If not what deck would allow me to do what I would like to do. Would a Tascam 44 allow this ? How about a Pioneer 901 or an Akai GX-650D or an AKAI GX-630D-SS and lastly Teac X-1000R BL ... I have picked these models as they are presently for sale in my area.

Pioneer 901 is $375.00
Akai GX-650D $300.00 (Best offer so far)
AKAI GX-630D-SS is $700.00
Teac X-1000R BL (2 avaialble the other one is ) $500.00
PIONEER RT1020L is $650.00
Tascam 34 is $485.00

Which of these units will allow monitoring one track while recording IN SYNC on a second track Ideally it would be great if she could do this. Record one track. Add a second track while listenign to track one then listen to that result and add a third track and then monitor this result and add a final and 4th track. But two track sync would be acceptable.

Thanks in advance
Don from Ontario
Old 01-25-2012, 06:25 AM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahatmose View Post
Hi Tinman you were right on the money apparently. The guy I bought it from was nice enough to give me my money back (yeah I don't believe it either) and then about 3 hours later sent me an email saying yes everything I had said about the unit was true and that after looking at the heads there was a black sticky substance on them which he says once they were cleaned the deck sounded brand new again. Even though he had had a later offer for a bit more money he has chosen to allow mw to buy it AGAIN for the same amount, $450.00 Canadian as I am in Canada. The problem that still would be there is that about halfway through fast forward with the large 10" reel the unit stops fast forwarding. I assume it is just the belt. The major reason I am buying a deck is so that my daughter can record her guitar or piano and sing on one track and then lay down the other instrument and sing harmony on the second track. Will this deck allow her to monitor one track while recording on the second track. If not what deck would allow me to do what I would like to do. Would a Tascam 44 allow this ? How about a Pioneer 901 or an Akai GX-650D or an AKAI GX-630D-SS and lastly Teac X-1000R BL ... I have picked these models as they are presently for sale in my area.

Pioneer 901 is $375.00
Akai GX-650D $300.00 (Best offer so far)
AKAI GX-630D-SS is $700.00
Teac X-1000R BL (2 avaialble the other one is ) $500.00
PIONEER RT1020L is $650.00
Tascam 34 is $485.00

Which of these units will allow monitoring one track while recording IN SYNC on a second track Ideally it would be great if she could do this. Record one track. Add a second track while listenign to track one then listen to that result and add a third track and then monitor this result and add a final and 4th track. But two track sync would be acceptable.

Thanks in advance
Don from Ontario
Pretty sure teh 1020 will do that for you. Ive done it before with my RT1011.