Tapeheads Forums

Go Back   Tapeheads Forums > Tape, Taping and Tape Machines > Reel To Reel

Reel To Reel All discussions pertaining to reel to reel decks including general usage, recording, playback, servicing tips and blank tape.

Universal Capstan Motor

Old 12-20-2011, 07:57 AM
Serious Tapehead

Akai GX-265D

Ive been searching for a deck for months and months now. Very rarely does a deck become available in my area. At least not for a decent price. Im starting to get desperate. The fact that im considering buying this 7" deck is definitely a sign. Repairing my RT-1011L slowly fades from my thoughts as time goes on. With thoughts of just getting something that i can use. So to my question what are the thoughts of the unit in question. Its pretty dated. And technically not what im looking for but at the same time would get me back playing and recording on reels. Can some one shoot me some pointers and throw out some figures of what it would be worth?
Old 12-20-2011, 08:46 AM
RTR FREAK and Tapeheads Supporter

Looks like a decent unit - don't know too much about them sonically, however. Hardware-wise pretty cool. 3 DD motors. Auto-reverse Rec and Play. Glass/Xtal heads usually mean endless lifespan in that dept.

The ones I've seen typically fall in the $200 - $300 price range.

Good hunting!

CASS: 1/2 DZ
Old 12-30-2011, 09:53 AM
Multiple tapehead

I have this machine that I have cleaned up and am currently listening to as we speak. Nice machine that seams pretty well made. I got mine very cheap. The issues I had was with the sound jumping around. I took it apart to clean it up and get DeOxit on the pots and switches. This proved pretty hard to do unless I completely dismantled it, which I did not. The pots were too far in and the volume pot did not appear to have an accessable opening. But, it is now working great For the right price, you should go for it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Audio Gear with R2R 002.jpg (52.1 KB, 25 views)
Old 12-30-2011, 11:48 AM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermit z View Post
I have this machine that I have cleaned up and am currently listening to as we speak. Nice machine that seams pretty well made. I got mine very cheap. The issues I had was with the sound jumping around. I took it apart to clean it up and get DeOxit on the pots and switches. This proved pretty hard to do unless I completely dismantled it, which I did not. The pots were too far in and the volume pot did not appear to have an accessable opening. But, it is now working great For the right price, you should go for it
Unfortunately the seller never got back to me. Been a couple weeks now since i inquired. Was really looking forward to having a unit in my setup again but its now looking like its not going to happen. Reels are few and far between in my area. Guess its back to the waiting game.
Old 12-30-2011, 01:19 PM
Multiple tapehead

Ah, sorry to hear that. Hang in there and something will come along I have 3 running and 1 that I just have not been able to get running. But they are fun to play with.
Old 12-30-2011, 05:09 PM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnelly View Post
Reels are few and far between in my area. Guess its back to the waiting game.
Hi Parnelly, you might want to check out canuckaudiomart.com on a regular basis, you get machines on sale around Ontario popping up now & again.

Buying from someone within driving distance can be preferrable as you can check the machine out and "ship" it yourself...

Some shops also sell R2R decks. teletech.ca in Markham, ON has some listed for sale (no affiliation). It also depends on your budget range, the greater, then more potential decks that you can choose from....

Grant
Old 12-31-2011, 10:03 AM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferriteman View Post
Hi Parnelly, you might want to check out canuckaudiomart.com on a regular basis, you get machines on sale around Ontario popping up now & again.

Buying from someone within driving distance can be preferrable as you can check the machine out and "ship" it yourself...

Some shops also sell R2R decks. teletech.ca in Markham, ON has some listed for sale (no affiliation). It also depends on your budget range, the greater, then more potential decks that you can choose from....

Grant
I prefer not to deal with shops. I was in one down on queen a few years back and imo the prices were astronomical for what i considered average decks. I was looking to spend between 2 and 3 hundred. But since have focused that cash into something else putting the reel to reel at the back of the line of things to do/get. Still holding out to find a parts deck to maybe someday get my RT 1011L going. May not be the greatest machine but i have a soft spot for it.