Tapeheads Forums

Go Back   Tapeheads Forums > Tape, Taping and Tape Machines > Reel To Reel

Reel To Reel All discussions pertaining to reel to reel decks including general usage, recording, playback, servicing tips and blank tape.

Universal Capstan Motor

Old 11-21-2011, 11:54 AM
TapeHeads Newbie

Pioneer RT-1020L Help needed

Hi everyone, I just found this Net and it is just what I need since just buying my Pioneer 1020L. It works ok but....The pinch roller is giving me trouble. First the center screw keeps losing up and when I tighten it the roller does not turn. Also I'm not sure if all the parts to the pinch roller are there. I have 2 plastic washers then the roller then another plastic washer then a felt washer and the chrome cap and screw. Is this correct or does anyone have an illustrated parts breakdown of the pinch roller assembly. Also, my capstan is not perfectly smooth it has what feels like 2 flat spots. Is this correct or is it worn out.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. I purchased it from the original owner and it played fine at his place . Took it home and listen to about an hour of music and when I changed reels I noticed the pinch roller not turning and it was lose. I tighten up the roller and it still did not turn when I pressed play , unless I helped it a bit. It now needs help to get it going.
Thanks in advance.
Chuck
Old 11-21-2011, 12:05 PM
Am I doing this right?

Chances are the roller needs a little oil. It should spin freely. The parts you listed are correct.

When you say the capstan has flat spots, do you mean on the shaft itself, or "notches" in the motor's rotation? Neither is normal. The shaft is hardened steel, it's hard to imagine how it could get flat spots without a lot of deliberate effort. If it's a notchy motor, oil the bearings. After 40 years they could probably use it.

And I love this smiley
Old 11-21-2011, 12:32 PM
TapeHeads Newbie

thanks for the oil tip, I'll give it a try and as far as the flat spots, when I feel the steel shaft on the capstan where it touches the tape, it does not feel smooth. I know what you mean about it being hard steel that is why I'm confused. I'll take a magnifying class and take a closer look. How much oil and is 3 and 1 ok to use?
Chuck
Old 11-21-2011, 12:52 PM
Am I doing this right?

3 in 1 is fine, you only need a few drops. The bronze bushing absorbs oil and stays lubed for a long time. Could be your capstan just has some crap on it. Give it a good clean. With very little attention, these decks will last forever.

It's possible that the pinchroller's shaft is bent, which would force the roller outward when playing. With enough force applied it could unscrew the cap and screw. Make sure the roller's contact patch is even across the capstan.

And I love this smiley
Old 11-22-2011, 06:18 AM
TapeHeads Newbie

pressure roller stuck ???

If I remove the pinch roller and hold it in my hand, should I be able to spin the rubber part of the roller on it's brass sleeve. I can not do this.

My pinch roller does not move unless the drive is engaged. I'm not sure if it should spin freely or not. If I try to spin it in either the normal position or push it down towards the capstan roller it does not turn. It does turn when the recorder is playing though. Should it move, or spin freely and if so how do I correct it. Maybe I'm not clear, but when I remove the pinch roller from the shaft I can not get the shaft to turn. Is this normal?
Chuck

Last edited by Cnacc; 11-22-2011 at 06:47 AM.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:06 AM
Highly Biased

Remove the pinch roller cap. Look at the washers on top. Is one pinched between the cap screw and the mounting axle? The washer should not touch the axle, and there should be a very slight up and down play of the capstan on the axle after the cap is screwed on. If there is no play, remove one of the lower washers.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:20 AM
TapeHeads Newbie

when I remove the cap on the rubber pinch roller I see a felt washer and a plastic washer. The felt washer fits into a grove on the rubber roller . The plastic washer is sloppy and you have to align it when you put the cap on because the shaft for the rubber roller does not extend out to let you slide on the plastic washer. Now with the rubber roller off, behind it snugly to the shaft is another plastic washer and a thicker plastic washer with a few odd points on it. Both of these washers fit tightly on the shaft. When I install everything in reverse and place the end cap over the rubber roller I have to align the screw hole and tighten the screw. As I'm tightening the screw the more I do the less the rubber pinch roller spins and eventually becomes tight because I believe it is binding between itself and the washers in the back and the "C" clip on the shaft. If I do not tighten the cap screw it spins fine but.....the cap is lose. I can turn the rubber pinch roller by hand when I have it on somewhat tight but there is no slack between the roller and shaft. I have put 2 drops of oil on the shaft. The 1020 plays fine..but this rubber pinch roller is confusing me. Some say it should spin freely, mine does not unless the screw is kept lose...that is how I have been playing it.
Old 11-22-2011, 03:18 PM
Am I doing this right?

You've got it wrong. The plastic washers go on either side of the roller and are sized to fit the shaft. The felt washer goes under the cap. It's sized to fit on the flange inside the cap.

The roller should spin freely. The way you've got it now, the plastic washer is forcing the felt into the roller, and the friction acts to unscrew the cap.

And I love this smiley
Old 11-23-2011, 03:08 PM
TapeHeads Newbie

You are the Man !!!!!! There was an extra "Thick" washer on the inside section of the rubber wheel along with a regular plastic washer like in front of the rubber wheel. When I removed the thick washer and put the roller on the shaft the front plastic washer was then able to slide on the shaft and the felt washer was in it's place inside the cap. After I tighten the screw. Walla !!! the rubber roller spins freely and the screw is nice and tight. Thank You Very Much.
What a nice Thanksgiving present.
Now I can play Lawrence Welk's old tv tapes for my family during diner...ha-ha
Thank you
Chuck
Old 11-23-2011, 05:03 PM
Long Live Magnetic Medium

Lawrence Welk goes good with Yams and Cranberry Sauce!! And welcome to TH!! Rob
Old 11-23-2011, 06:18 PM
TapeHeads Newbie

Thank you Rob