Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums
High quality analog audio tape for professionals and enthusiasts alike.

Go Back   Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums > Service, Restorations, Helpful How-Tos, Parts and Manuals, Ads and More! > Pacific's Restorations

Pacific's Restorations You can see all of Pacific's vintage gear restorations here.

Donate to Tapeheads!

Old 09-13-2011, 11:06 AM
Sendust for brains

Pacific's restore of oldaudioscho's Pioneer SX-1080

Hi, everyone:

Thought you might like to see what became of oldaudioscho's 1080. It started out pretty ugly, with the biggest nasty being a tuning shaft that was bent about 1/4" to the side.

The glass was pretty cloudy on the inside, and the years have taken their toll on the metal.

Here's a look at the chassis:

And a closer look at that bent shaft:

As mentioned earlier in another thread, this one got a full recap, a power supply overhaul, full cleaning and treatment of relays, switches and controls, amplifier repair, a full RF alignment for FM and AM, bias and offset, mechanical repair and a full evaluation. She also got my patented (just kidding) BeautyMaker cosmetic treatment. She is as sweet as she could be, and here's what she looks like now:

After:

Here's lookin' at you, kid:

Just gorgeous. And she sounds absolutely wonderful. Another one saved!

All photos, copyright 2011 Pacific Stereo. All rights reserved, no use without written permission. I better not see these on eBay!

I RESTORE VINTAGE AUDIO AND VIDEO GEAR. Master technician for Concept, Quadraflex, Calibre, Pioneer and Sony. Endorsed by Richard Schram for Concept product restoration. Factory technician for both Yamaha and JVC. Sonics consultant for Denon. Pacific Stereo store manager, service manager, Central Service lead tech, liquidator at our demise. Pacific Stereo curator. Infinity IRS dealer. Music buyer for one of the first CD retailers in the USA. Authorized servicer for virtually every brand on the planet at one time or another. Music addict. Mastering & recording engineer, weaned on a Neve (no other console sounds like a Neve!). Industry-respected ears. Head Tapehead.

Need vintage audio & video repair and restoration, or unobtanium semiconductors and parts? Ask me! And do visit the website: pacificstereo.net

Last edited by Pacific Stereo; 05-26-2014 at 05:09 PM.
Old 09-13-2011, 11:56 AM
Miami Space Transit Planetarium 11/1966-8/2015

nice work! those after pics look right out of a catalog!
Old 09-13-2011, 12:01 PM
Site Supporter

That looks nice.
Bet it sounds as good as it looks.
You do good work on those old pieces.

The two loudest sounds in the world are a "CLICK" when you expect a "BANG" and a "BANG when you expect a "CLICK"
Old 09-13-2011, 01:31 PM
Serious AudioHead

Catalog photos! Has the just out of box look now. Great work P.S.!
Old 09-13-2011, 01:55 PM
Serious Tapehead

I like your view from where ever you work. Excellent restore job on that SX-1080. That thing looks like you just took it out of the box.
KLH Model 17 DBX-224
Homepage www.elitebypioneer.com
Old 09-13-2011, 02:18 PM
Long Live Magnetic Medium

Looks great...how did you unbend the tuning knob shaft?? Rob
Old 09-13-2011, 03:20 PM
Serious Tapehead

"AMAZING" Thank you. The checks in the mail.....
Old 09-13-2011, 09:09 PM
Cassetticus Maximus

Nice work! Bee-oo-tiful!

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:59 PM
RTR FREAK & TH SUPPORTER

Wowee!!

CASS: 1/2 DZ
Old 09-14-2011, 02:39 AM
Ghost In The Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrokeeper View Post
Looks great...how did you unbend the tuning knob shaft?? Rob
I SECOND that question! I have a Harmon Kardon 450 with a bent shaft as well!
Old 09-14-2011, 05:04 AM
Serious AudioHead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warped Bezel View Post
I SECOND that question! I have a Harmon Kardon 450 with a bent shaft as well!
Straightening the tuning shaft may be P.S.'s trade secret!
Old 09-14-2011, 07:35 AM
Ghost In The Machine

What's fried chicken got to do with it?
Old 09-14-2011, 07:36 AM
Sendust for brains

Sheesh, guys, I can't give all my secrets away, then no one will need me for anything!

I RESTORE VINTAGE AUDIO AND VIDEO GEAR. Master technician for Concept, Quadraflex, Calibre, Pioneer and Sony. Endorsed by Richard Schram for Concept product restoration. Factory technician for both Yamaha and JVC. Sonics consultant for Denon. Pacific Stereo store manager, service manager, Central Service lead tech, liquidator at our demise. Pacific Stereo curator. Infinity IRS dealer. Music buyer for one of the first CD retailers in the USA. Authorized servicer for virtually every brand on the planet at one time or another. Music addict. Mastering & recording engineer, weaned on a Neve (no other console sounds like a Neve!). Industry-respected ears. Head Tapehead.

Need vintage audio & video repair and restoration, or unobtanium semiconductors and parts? Ask me! And do visit the website: pacificstereo.net
Old 09-14-2011, 08:02 AM
Highly Biased

Is this the one you need the nut-collar for?
Bending shafts involves careful work with a vise and a tool used inappropriately. And, you have to bend VERY slowly.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:12 AM
Sendust for brains

Yes, Doc, I used one off of one of my other Pioneers to fix this one. But I think I have one coming from Innovative, so we're good on that front. And yes, what Doc said about inappropriate. <g>

Old 09-14-2011, 06:42 PM
Serious Tapehead

Ron will be extremely happy to get his Pioneer SX-1080 receiver back and cranking some tunes. Another great restoration by Pacfic Stereo! I have no doubt that PS takes the same pride in his work with each of his client's components, as if it was his own. Come to think of it, with the donation of the part from his own receiver, it's quite befitting.

And I knew the great outdoors shots of the SX-1080 would be coming.

Nando.
Old 09-14-2011, 07:35 PM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite-ist View Post
Ron will be extremely happy to get his Pioneer SX-1080 receiver back and cranking some tunes. Another great restoration by Pacfic Stereo! I have no doubt that PS takes the same pride in his work with each of his client's components, as if it was his own. Come to think of it, with the donation of the part from his own receiver, it's quite befitting.

And I knew the great outdoors shots of the SX-1080 would be coming.

Nando.
This is the first time that I have had a piece of gear reconditioned to this extent with the exception of my R2R's. When I look at the pictures PS posted and the one I have of that piece, its hard to believe that its the same receiver.Thanks again Pacific Stereo.
Old 09-14-2011, 07:42 PM
Serious AudioHead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacific Stereo View Post
Yes, Doc, I used one off of one of my other Pioneers to fix this one. But I think I have one coming from Innovative, so we're good on that front. And yes, what Doc said about inappropriate. <g>
Hi P.S., straightening a bent shaft is hair raising to say the least. And true, the best results are to be had with a straight replacement. I salvaged the tuning shaft from a 2.5 for my 16.5 which had a frozen shaft.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:59 AM
Serious Tapehead

Pioneer SX 1080!!!!!!!!!

Just gorgeous. And she sounds absolutely wonderful. Another one saved![/QUOTE]

there's nothing I can add to the quote above, except THANK YOU Pacific Stereo................
Old 09-21-2011, 01:42 PM
Site Supporter

Good to hear it made it there in one piece.
Old Pioneers are nice to listen to.
I need to have my 1250 done soon.

The two loudest sounds in the world are a "CLICK" when you expect a "BANG" and a "BANG when you expect a "CLICK"

Would you like to see your company or site here?  CONTACT US
For more Tapeheads affiliates and links, see the Links and Resources page.