Tapeheads Forums

Go Back   Tapeheads Forums > Tape, Taping and Tape Machines > Cassette

Cassette All discussions pertaining to cassette decks including general usage, recording, playback, servicing tips, and blank tape.

Universal Capstan Motor

Old 08-05-2011, 02:34 AM
Serious Tapehead

Denon DRM-700, any good

Is the Denon DRM-700 a decent deck?
Old 08-05-2011, 03:26 AM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by allthingsanalogue View Post
Not without some modifications, same goes for DRM-800 - these two share almost exactly the same circuit but different mechanisms and heads, single capstan and permalloy heads for DRM-700, dual capstan and amorphous heads for DRM-800.

Main problems are - a very strong interference from the fluorescent display and flat cable that connects it to the main board (needs some proper screening, I've used copper foil to do it), clipping on the REC MUTE transistors on the input of the recording amplifier (as a result the deck distorts at near 0 dB when records, even if the tape allows for much higher levels) and JFET output mute switches that add a lot of distortion on the output.

On top of these big problems there are also 4066 CMOS switches for the monitor switch in both decks and (very nasty) a 4066 switch in the DRM-800 for two inputs (in the DRM-700 it is absent as it has only one input and no switching).

After fixing these problems it could be a decent deck.

Alex

Last edited by A.N.T.; 08-05-2011 at 03:29 AM.
Old 08-05-2011, 03:28 AM
Serious Tapehead

thanks, i'll give it a miss!
Old 08-05-2011, 04:25 AM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.N.T. View Post
Not without some modifications, same goes for DRM-800 - these two share almost exactly the same circuit but different mechanisms and heads, single capstan and permalloy heads for DRM-700, dual capstan and amorphous heads for DRM-800.

Main problems are - a very strong interference from the fluorescent display and flat cable that connects it to the main board (needs some proper screening, I've used copper foil to do it), clipping on the REC MUTE transistors on the input of the recording amplifier (as a result the deck distorts at near 0 dB when records, even if the tape allows for much higher levels) and JFET output mute switches that add a lot of distortion on the output.

On top of these big problems there are also 4066 CMOS switches for the monitor switch in both decks and (very nasty) a 4066 switch in the DRM-800 for two inputs (in the DRM-700 it is absent as it has only one input and no switching).

After fixing these problems it could be a decent deck.

Alex
Alex,

That's a nice tip on the display harness I am going to check out my DR-M24 and 44 HX units and see whats up there. -Thank You

Those 4066 CMOS gates are extremely prone to static failure. Always were.

Ron
Old 08-05-2011, 04:27 AM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by allthingsanalogue View Post
I don't think the "Calibration" record level can be set for either of these. I have looked at them too. Otherwise they seem nice save for what Alex recommends...
Ron

Last edited by CottonSwab; 08-05-2011 at 07:58 AM. Reason: To clarify Calibration Record Level
Old 08-05-2011, 06:11 AM
frozen into the 80's. :)

of course, i guess you meant the "calibration record level"... that is missing on many decks... because saying simply "record level" we may do a bit of confusion with the "input record level" that is present on any standalone decks.

CHEERS,

Vince.