Tapeheads Forums

Go Back   Tapeheads Forums > General Audio Discussions > Picture Posts

Picture Posts Don't just write about your stuff, say it with pictures! This is the one forum where large images are allowed.

Universal Capstan Motor

Old 07-10-2011, 09:00 AM
-

Tascam TSR-8.

NOS Tascam TSR-8:

Virginal tape path:

Last edited by bob955i; 08-03-2011 at 02:18 PM. Reason: For gallery
Old 07-10-2011, 05:21 PM
Serious Tapehead

Wowee, NOS is best! It could be known as Never Opened Survivor, rather than New Old Stock. Bob, you are impressing myself and many other members with the quality of your vintage pieces. I'm glad you joined!

Nando.
Old 07-11-2011, 04:58 AM
-

Thanks Nando - this is the first forum I've been on where I've actually felt the freedom to share pix of some of the gear I'm lucky to have, without being labelled a show-off. With some fora in the past it was never too long before the green-eyed monster reared it's head and then opened it's mouth - usually resulting in me ceasing to post... I'm glad I joined THs as I enjoy reading about and looking at everyone else's gear just as much as I hope they enjoy mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite-ist View Post
Wowee, NOS is best! It could be known as Never Opened Survivor, rather than New Old Stock. Bob, you are impressing myself and many other members with the quality of your vintage pieces. I'm glad you joined!

Nando.
Old 07-11-2011, 06:04 AM
Serious Tapehead

AWESOME!!!
I kinda feel bad I don't have a use for one such deck!!!
Old 07-11-2011, 07:46 PM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob955i View Post
Thanks Nando - this is the first forum I've been on where I've actually felt the freedom to share pix of some of the gear I'm lucky to have, without being labelled a show-off. With some fora in the past it was never too long before the green-eyed monster reared it's head and then opened it's mouth - usually resulting in me ceasing to post... I'm glad I joined THs as I enjoy reading about and looking at everyone else's gear just as much as I hope they enjoy mine.
Keep those pictures and comments coming, Bob! For myself and others, I appreciate seeing members' home system and studio components. And I, especially, like to hear of how members' have come across their time pieces, as there is often an interesting story behind the purchase/gift.

Too bad about the short-sightedness you may have experienced on other forums. Pictures and descriptions do more to attract interest in this forum and makes this forum a top draw for like-minded analog lovers.

Nando.
Old 07-12-2011, 02:47 AM
Lesx55

Hi Bob,

I got an idea....think you should start using your RTR Decks much more, and sell me your beautiful Aiwa..........well just a thought!!

Some very very cool stuff, my fellow Celt
Old 07-12-2011, 02:49 AM
Lesx55

Bob,

One a serious note, if you ever come across another please let me know, as i would sell my Granny to get one.......well maybe not quite
Old 07-12-2011, 04:59 AM
-

@ Nando: I see THs as a valuable resource and possibly even an online pictorial museum as we have a whole generation of I-podders who have never seen or heard of half the kit that we have.

Sometimes it's a mistake to throw out the past to make room for the future.

@ Les: I spent years trawling s/h hi-fi shops before I found the 6900; it seems to be quite rare, possibly because those who have one, won't part with it. I'll keep an eye out though.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:06 AM
Lesx55

Hi Bob,

You are sooo right about the museum aspect!! Most just just use mp3 etc.
Even many of my mates now do this, they have sold out in favour of the ipod!!
Old 07-12-2011, 09:59 AM
-

It's the convenience factor that's won through in the end Les - not sound quality.

I have a Creative Zen X-Fi 2 mp3 player that has a load of bells and whistles to make things sound better (and don't, to my jaded ears) and at the other end of the scale, a 20 year old Sony WM-D6C, but it's the old Walkman that stomps all over the Zen and does it without all the fancy DSP. The Walkman's still going strong too after 20 years - will the Zen or any of the other current mp3 players last that long....?

Somehow I doubt it.

The other thing too is that we live in an age where we have recording equipment that was very likely in the realms of science fiction 20 or 30 years ago and is capable of equally sci-fi results yet we throw all the capability and recorded sound quality away so we can fit 100,000,000 songs on a phone...