Tapeheads Forums

Go Back   Tapeheads Forums > Tape, Taping and Tape Machines > Cassette > Walkmans, Small Portables and Boomboxes

Walkmans, Small Portables and Boomboxes Talk about your Walkman-type and other small portable units here.

Universal Capstan Motor

Old 05-10-2011, 03:30 AM
INFP

JVC PC-V77 Cassette Boombox from local charity Shop, works great!

Hello all,

Whilst looking today for some furniture etc, I saw this JVC Boombox same as this pic: http://www.shizaudio.ru/audio/detail...3a43eb1b8efd67
only $20 AU it was and asked if it was working there, yes technicians checked it out before putting it for sale they said...So I bought this Boombox , with a bit of furniture...Got it home. Popped in a Tape and turned it on...Works very good sound, real good (much better than the tin-can sounding 'plastic' Boomboxes I had that broke)...Seems to hardly have been used, hardly dirty heads etc...Sure played more tapes after cleaning heads etc...Great sound, everything works. I never come across before, and have nearly given up finding a good sounding boombox. The ones I had where all junk, plastic sounding and quick to break after guarantee expired (That from Sony...plastic junk), this even has input for CD Player, I'm baffled, never seen those before...Your thoughts?

Anyone else got the same or similar Boombox, and maybe know what year its made? Late 80's my perception....
Old 05-10-2011, 03:38 AM
Serious Boombox Head

A good score, those JVC's were TOTL for the time, it should sound better than 90 percent of the boomboxes out there and better than 100% of the boomboxes since about 1990.

Put it this way, I have about 35 boomboxes, and I wish I had one of those.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:20 AM
Rockin' The Suburbs

Nice score!

On another note, are there any boomboxes with Dolby? I don't remember seeing any, even back in the day.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:48 AM
Real cars look great parked...

Pioneer SK-350 (guess) Among others...

To my recollection a new generation of Dolby ICs were introduced around 1980 or '81 designed for low voltage and lower current draw and these made their way into walkmen and boomboxes. Initially Dolby was a premium item but it made it's way down into mid and lower-priced boomboxes. Sharp, Sanyo, GE and even Sears SR2000. The problem might have been that people who bought low priced boomboxes thought is was neat enough but probably didn't use it. Sadly, there was either no demand for Dolby in low-priced boxes or the quality left no desire to purchase another, I wouldn't know at this point and I MAY have had one.

Extremely foggy. Now I have a Pioneer SK-350...if it weren't squawking and the deck needs belts
Old 05-10-2011, 01:47 PM
Rockin' The Suburbs

Well, sorry to hijack, but I'd like one or two boomboxes with Dolby.

Come to think of it I need a good walkman with Dolby.

Tags
boombox, cassette