Tapeheads Forums

Go Back   Tapeheads Forums > Tape, Taping and Tape Machines > Cassette

Cassette All discussions pertaining to cassette decks including general usage, recording, playback, servicing tips, and blank tape.

Universal Capstan Motor

Old 12-12-2012, 10:25 AM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by alxwz View Post
Have there ever been dual-well deck with automatic bias/level calibration?

No MPX switch.
Yes. Pioneer CT-W606DR Has, and probably superior models too.

As a matter of summary, I'm creating a short table for the best dual decks, It's in my ugly personal webpage, And it's still very preliminar, But I'm actively updating it these days, so if you post the special features of the decks mentioned I will add them. Bear in mind that I plan not to add more than 10 decks or so, There is nothing else worth it in the double deck world.

It is at the end:
http://webs.ono.com/llagona/Favourites.html
Old 12-12-2012, 08:20 PM
Nakamichi Spoken Here

The Marantz D520 is both dual 3 heads, and auto level and bias, and has switchable MPX. Oddly, there is no built in deck to deck dub. It's solid sounding through 18kHz, after adjusting height & azimuth, but bass drops off pretty fast below 30Hz. It has very nice W&F for a single capstan transport, on par with say, the BX single capstan decks. All gear driven reels/idler.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8215.jpg (78.2 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8216.jpg (88.2 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8218.jpg (57.1 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8221.jpg (67.5 KB, 44 views)

Last edited by perry; 12-18-2012 at 09:04 PM.
Old 12-22-2012, 07:07 AM
Serious Tapehead

I am impressed by my new acquisition, the Pioneer CT-W806DR. It gave hard times to my Revox and to my JVC, both 3headers.
Old 12-22-2012, 11:49 AM
Public Safety Radio Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by perry View Post
The Marantz D520 is both dual 3 heads, and auto level and bias, and has switchable MPX. Oddly, there is no built in deck to deck dub. It's solid sounding through 18kHz, after adjusting height & azimuth, but bass drops off pretty fast below 30Hz. It has very nice W&F for a single capstan transport, on par with say, the BX single capstan decks. All gear driven reels/idler.
Are those ALPS transports by chance? Sure look like the same ones in my Denon's of the same era, all the way down to the connector placement and PCB markings.
Old 12-23-2012, 04:19 AM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghitulescu View Post
I am impressed by my new acquisition, the Pioneer CT-W806DR. It gave hard times to my Revox and to my JVC, both 3headers.
Pioneer "Digital Lineup" is great. CT-S670D, W606DR, yours, etc.

Sadly, when it came, decks were fading off

Last edited by rotovator; 12-23-2012 at 07:27 AM.
Old 12-23-2012, 05:08 AM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotovator View Post
Sadly, when it came, deck were fading off
Yes, I wish I had one of those in my glory "taping" days ....
Old 12-28-2012, 07:03 AM
Tape Eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by alxwz View Post
Okay, we already have a "Best of Three-Head" and a "Best of Two-Head Decks" thread here. So I thought I might open another "Best of" discussion. I know this subject has been discussed sporadically in this forum, but it would be nice to have them all in one place, IMHO. Even more so because the (otherwise really nice) vintagecassette.com site doesn't seem to list dual-well decks at all.

Some background: Like many (wannabe) cognoscenti, I always refrained from dual-well decks, because they were considered inferior, sound- and reliability-wise. I never had one. OTOH, I've alway been a sucker for lots of features and buttons and knobs and lights and whathaveyou on the front of audio gear. And the TOTL dual-wells were hard to beat at that. I always heard some sirens calling...

Recently, the first two dual-well decks found their way to my home: An Onkyo K-W606, which came with a "Separate Collection 275" system I purchased recently, and a good-condition Pioneer CT-W205R that I got for little money from someone on the net (and which I intend to give to my Mom to replace her 30 y old Toshiba deck that has died).

(Yes, that's a stack of minidiscs on top. Shame on me...)

Both are nothing to write home about, and in no way contenders for a "Best of" list. The Onkyo, in addition, has some nasty hum in one part, which I probably won't care to look after. The Pioneer, however, amazed me when I made a normal-speed copy of an old 80s SA of mine (Pink Floyd's "Final Cut") onto a lowly Sony HF, and even a high-speed copy wasn't horrible. Maybe the double decks weren't that bad, after all. (Or my ears have gone bad, which is completely possible.)

And there were some very nice designs. Not only the ubiquitous cheap dual-quick-reverse record-for-hours-without-interruptions or copy-both-sides-in-one-go units (with w&f through the roof and azimuth silently drifitng away), but there were also units that acted as two completely separate decks, even dual three-head units (IIRC), decent Yamahas with Play Trim, Sonys loaded with features, and I seem to remember Aiwa even made a deck with a three-head dual-capstan on one side. There were also decks from Pioneer with some digital stuff that I don't understand (the latter falls into my "lost years", unfortunately).

This isn't meant to be about the best possible audio quality alone. It's as much about feature wonders, the most mechanically solid units, and the decks that gave the best compromise between functionality and sound.
(There really should have been a dual-well version of Nak's RX505...)

To really start off the "Best of" list, here's one of my favorites, one of the coolest designs ever, IMHO: The Onkyo TA-RW9090, a double tray-loading deck. I only know it from pictures, unfortunately. But I know, one day I'll get one.

I remember that some members here have/had nice units, e.g. from Onkyo (said TA-RW9090), Sony or Pioneer. So bring them on!

Pictures highly appreciated.

Regards,
Alex

P.S.: Hope this thread makes a stickie...
That Onkyo is the tiniest dual well deck I have ever seen
Old 12-28-2012, 08:49 AM
Serious Tapehead

The smallest dual deck I've seen was the cassette part of the MHC-1700 mini HiFi from Sony.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:40 AM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8tracker View Post
That Onkyo is the tiniest dual well deck I have ever seen
THe Denon UDRW-250 is even tinier, and yes it is a standalone deck, it has a similar-look cousin that is a part of a mini-set

Old 01-08-2013, 07:17 PM
TapeHeads.Net Member

Are there any opinions about Tascam 202 MKIII?

http://tascam.com/content/images/uni...kIII_front.jpg

Frequency Response: Metal Tape: 25Hz-19kHz, CrO2 Tape: 25Hz-18kHz, Normal Tape: 25Hz-17kHz

Signal to Noise Ratio: 79dB, Dolby C Over 1kHz 69dB, Dolby B Over 5kHz 59dB, NR off 3% THD level, Weighted

Wow/Flutter (WRMS): <0.08%

Tape Speeds: 4.76cm/sec (1 7/8 ips), 9.5cm/sec (3 3/4 ips)

Last edited by geoproz; 01-08-2013 at 07:19 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:14 AM
Serious Tapehead

Reelspin

I have a Yamaha KX-W492 auto reverse dual cassette deck. It has play trim, Dolby B, C with HX Pro and specs are:

2 Heads: Recording/Playback Hard Permalloy, Erase Double-gap Ferrite.
WRMS: 0.08%
Signal to noise ratio: 58 without Dolby, 66 with Dolby B, 74dB with Dolby C
Frequency response (-20dB): 20 - 17,000 Hz Type I Normal.
20 - 18,000 Hz Type II High (CrO2).
20 - 20,000 Hz Type IV High Metal.
Harmonic distorsion: Less than 0.8%

A typical frequency response graph with a Maxel MX 110 tape is:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Respuesta de frecuencia Maxell MX110.jpg (51.1 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg My Yamaha KX-W492 and graphic EQ.jpg (72.0 KB, 28 views)
Old 02-24-2013, 08:22 AM
NAD's Head and Tapehead Supporter

A new member in my doublewell family : Sony TC V710WR

...getting it for free at the german "Dual" Forum. To Dos : Azimuth Alignment and a heavily cleaning only !

The Sound..... WOW. The Dynamic is one of the best I ever heard, not even from dual well decks ! Really astonishing.... Just playes a Chrom Maxima Reference which I record with the Pio 1250 from Alex in 120s. The "B" Deck can be manual switched for Bias/Eq ! Excellent playback with a quite similar Attack ! Impressive too are the Bass. Real mighty and clear down to the deepest frequencies. The RMS Feature with a extra numerical display is very nice and quite rare too.

Maybe somebody can clear the technical details why this midsize dual well sounds so incredibble ?

I am real intrested for getting more decks sounding like this one ! How are the bigger Sonys from this years ?

On the other hand how dumb are the dudes who given away such diamonds in believing it couldn't sound better ? But with this totally missaligned heads ?
Holy Moly.....

BTW: Its topping my "two header" reference Nakamichi RX202 very easily.....

Last edited by lucky; 02-24-2013 at 09:17 AM.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:30 AM
Serious Tapehead / Contributor

I have finally been able to get the TOTL Yamaha dual deck - the KX-W952. It's on it's way to me and I will report back once I have it up and running. This is the only dual deck I was trying to get. I have high hopes...
Sony TC-K7II, TC-WE625
Yamaha KX-930, KX-W952.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:54 AM
Serious Tapehead

[QUOTE The Sound..... WOW. The Dynamic is one of the best I ever heard, not even from dual well decks ! Really astonishing.... Just playes a Chrom Maxima Reference which I record with the Pio 1250 from Alex in 120s. The "B" Deck can be manual switched for Bias/Eq ! Excellent playback with a quite similar Attack ! Impressive too are the Bass. Real mighty and clear down to the deepest frequencies. The RMS Feature with a extra numerical display is very nice and quite rare too.

Maybe somebody can clear the technical details why this midsize dual well sounds so incredibble ?

I am real intrested for getting more decks sounding like this one ! How are the bigger Sonys from this years ?

On the other hand how dumb are the dudes who given away such diamonds in believing it couldn't sound better ? But with this totally missaligned heads ?
Holy Moly.....

BTW: Its topping my "two header" reference Nakamichi RX202 very easily.....[/QUOTE]

That was a seriously outstanding "win", no, a sort of "get" Lucky!! Oustanding actually - and that little miniature deck - I guess about 34cm wide? It crams so much in on that fascia, right to the edges. You certainly do explore the limits of your decks - the super-tuned CT-F1250 and your recording a TPII (already, in my opinion in the top 3 type IIs ever made) with 120us. I can tell you're having a lot of rewarding time experimenting with your machines!!

Cheers - Marc
Old 02-24-2013, 01:37 PM

Hi Marc,
thank you for the warm words. I am always on the hunt for good sounding equipment. Most fun for me is to found the few glittering diamonds in the huge amount of "dirty" units.

It wasnt cheap that times. In this old sony catalouge it costs 1000DM in germany in the 80ties. Yes its a 34cm unit from a complete line of it.

http://audioidiots.com/merk.apparaat.php?apparaatID=141

I learned my lessons in 45 years dealing around with HiFi. Getting a Trufflenose for the pearls....

If you come about this Sony, take it ! You will not regret, its even worth a bigger repair. As I look inside I saw a discrete output stage, maybe one component of the good sound.
The Bass are very impressive too. This makes mostly the difference between a good and a TOTL Deck imho. And this Deck can do deep BAAAASSSS no doubt !

Lutz
Old 02-25-2013, 07:41 PM
TapeHeads.Net Member

Happy with this one
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (64.2 KB, 39 views)
Old 02-26-2013, 02:13 AM
Dream tape never ends

I'm happy with the double deck of the Sony FH-110W mini component/heavy boombox system.

Very durable unit (1985 vintage and still going strong, all functions perfect), all I had to do was cleaning it up (which is kinda hard, because it has a moving well bottom plate...) and setting the azimuth (which was WAY off).

Best casual recording deck ever, too, just pop a cassette in and you're good to go. Works great with most tapes I threw at it, even recent TDK D/Sony EF vintages. No need to set levels etc. (well...you cannot, at least not directly), but you can pre-equalize the sound if you wish (using the FH-110Ws EQ).

Too bad it's not a standalone unit...and it's a nightmare to service, despite the service manual saying "it's not that bad"

However, with a sort of docking station/connector and an external PSU, it could, in theory, be made standalone.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:52 AM

Great toy ! If the wells act with two motors each, the chance was big that it was the same as in my TC V710WR. Recording in it was right similar easy and quite good as the playback site. I recorded (copy) some TDKs SA and the sound was very good and lacks nothing.

@mneitzel : which Pio is it ? Cant read the number on the front.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:58 AM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky View Post
@mneitzel : which Pio is it ? Cant read the number on the front.
Elite CT-W59
Old 02-27-2013, 05:11 AM
Serious Tapehead / Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightingales View Post
I have finally been able to get the TOTL Yamaha dual deck - the KX-W952. It's on it's way to me and I will report back once I have it up and running. This is the only dual deck I was trying to get. I have high hopes...
The Yamaha came in and its just fantastic! Seems to be in near mint condition. Here are some pics:

The only surprise was that it actually has totally separated in- and outputs, so you have to hook it up to 2 TAPE inputs on your amp. That I didn't expect. You can switch the input of tape 2 to the input of tape 1, so there you don't necessarily need two rec outs from your amp, but the outputs are totally separate it seems. Have to find a manual...
Sony TC-K7II, TC-WE625
Yamaha KX-930, KX-W952.

Last edited by Nightingales; 02-27-2013 at 05:14 AM.