Tapeheads Forums

Go Back   Tapeheads Forums > General Audio Discussions > Specialties by Manufacturer > Onkyo

Universal Capstan Motor

Old 04-20-2011, 11:59 AM
Long Live Magnetic Medium

My Onkyo TA-630 is up and running!!

Anybody got a user manual for this deck?I need to figure out the Accu-Bias feature on this deck.I replaced the belts and it sound really nice,possibly the best of my 2-header!! Thanks for the help and info....Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMGP4110.jpg (68.7 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP4109.jpg (65.0 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP4126.jpg (66.4 KB, 24 views)
Old 04-20-2011, 02:47 PM
TapeHeads.Net Member

I have one of these - it is a pretty good deck. The only issue I have had with it is that the record interlock occasionally snagged and I couldn't depress the recording button. After a round of fiddling, I determined that it was the metal strips in the door well that press the cassette to the rear of the well - these had gotten slack with the years and the cassette top was not fully depressing the pin up at the top as a result. Gentle finger pressure bends those strips back into position - now mine is working fine again. Ah, those mechanical issues...

I am not sure how the accu-bias works on this one. It makes good recordings regardless...

Happy Onkyo-ing!
Turntables:Yamaha belt-drives, Kenwood direct-drive.
CD players include NAD, Sony, Denon and Onkyo.
Old 04-20-2011, 03:42 PM
Serious Tapehead

Hi Rob,

Would you like me to e-mail you a pdf of the sm on the Onkyo TD-630D which explains how to use the Accurate Bias?

Nando.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:40 PM

Please,please,please,please Nando!!! That would be great!! Rob
Old 04-20-2011, 05:45 PM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrokeeper View Post
Your AOL.com e-mail inbox should have received it not long after my initial post, Rob.

Nando.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:38 PM
Cassetticus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite-ist View Post
Hi Rob,

Would you like me to e-mail you a pdf of the sm on the Onkyo TD-630D which explains how to use the Accurate Bias?

Nando.
Quote:
My TA-2056 SM doesn't describe "how" to use the Accubias. Can I get in on that deal, Nando?

PS -- Great looking vintage piece Rob!

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory ...... lasts forever....
Old 04-20-2011, 08:22 PM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion8 View Post
My TA-2056 SM doesn't describe "how" to use the Accubias. Can I get in on that deal, Nando?

PS -- Great looking vintage piece Rob!
Sure, Scorpion. Just PM me your e-mail address.

Nando.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:59 PM
Cassetticus Maximus

Sent! Thanks!

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory ...... lasts forever....
Old 04-20-2011, 10:09 PM

Thanks Nando!!!
Old 04-24-2011, 09:46 AM
Serious Tapehead

Hi Scorp and retrokeeper,

Were you able to set up the Accu-bias, properly, on your Onkyo decks?

Nando.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:33 AM

Hey Nando!! Yes,your email with the SM for this deck was great,did what was said,made a beauty of a cassette for my 1st with this deck...man this deck sure sounds great.Another plus is that the tapes sound great on my other decks,so it's definately a keeper.Will be making other tapes soon,plan to use this deck in the main system for quite awhile.It's just nice to optimize the type of tape with the tapes I have,I'm sure I have other decks that can do it and outperform this Onkyo,but this deck sounds that good!! Rob
Old 09-15-2011, 09:41 AM
TapeHeads Newbie

Nando,

I just started this...sounds like you're 1 person I can ask...maybe there are others that also can help...

Took my Onkyo TA-630D to the shop due to a drive problem discovered after many months of non-use...the serviceman advised that the Belt(s) "Melted into the Motor" and would be impossible/too costly to fix in lieu that a new motor is also no longer available...I still play my great Denon (fecr) and cro2 tapes from the 70s/80s but I may now be without service options and a home tape player...(the service shop Did old Sanyo RD 5250 and Technics RS-TR232 recorders to purchase at under $100...)... any advice is welcome...I really liked the Onkyo and would be nice to find another motor...
tks.
Buckeye
Old 09-15-2011, 04:37 PM

The belt or belts,"look" like they melted to the motor,or onto the pulley,but it should have not ruined the motor.What really happens is the belts turn into this sticky goo when they finally "decompose" with age,and you can get in there with some q-tips and alcohol and clean the mess up,and then find out what size belt(s) you need and get the deck up and running.It is a pain cleaning and removing the belt goo,but your motor should be ok,not "burned out". You'll need to check with someone else here on the forum about belt sizes,since your original belt is no longer viable to get a size reference.Replace the belts,clean the tape path and see how the deck sounds!! Rob
Old 07-09-2012, 09:37 AM
TapeHeads Newbie

Quote:
The belt or belts,"look" like they melted to the motor,or onto the pulley,but it should have not ruined the motor.What really happens is the belts turn into this sticky goo when they finally "decompose" with age,and you can get in there with some q-tips and alcohol and clean the mess up,and then find out what size belt(s) you need and get the deck up and running.It is a pain cleaning and removing the belt goo,but your motor should be ok,not "burned out". You'll need to check with someone else here on the forum about belt sizes,since your original belt is no longer viable to get a size reference.Replace the belts,clean the tape path and see how the deck sounds!! Rob
Mine has the gooey belts also, where do i get new belts?
Old 07-09-2012, 10:21 AM
Repair Professional

Quote:
+1

Even if the motor were bad, new ones are definitely available (not the exact motor, but a good sub).