Tapeheads Forums

Go Back   Tapeheads Forums > Tape, Taping and Tape Machines > Cassette

Cassette All discussions pertaining to cassette decks including general usage, recording, playback, servicing tips, and blank tape.

Universal Capstan Motor

Old 04-09-2011, 08:58 PM
New To Tapeheads

Any market for cassette tapes?

Hey all,

I have been looking around your site for a bit and was hoping that you guys might be able to answer a question for me. What can I do with about 500 cassettes from the 70's, 80's and 90's? Various artists, with cover art and such. My collection before I went to CD's.

It seems that alot of people want blank tapes but is there a market for recorded tapes? I'm not even looking to make alot money so much as I'd like to get them to someone who would get some use and enjoyment out of them.

Anyrate, this is way out of my realm of knowledge so any answers are really appreciated.
Old 04-09-2011, 09:31 PM
Serious Boombox Head

If you're in Australia I'll happily take them off your hands.
Old 04-09-2011, 09:39 PM
Nakamichi Spoken Here

Like all things, it really depends on what they are. Some pre-recorded tapes are very desirable, and sought after due to they're rarity or quality or recording, and may go for $1 and up. Most common "tape club" tapes have little/no value due to poor recordings and easy availability, most all country, heavy metal, big hair, easy listening, etc. Typically, it can cost more to ship those than they are worth. Most tapes that state chrome or Cr02 on them, and made by Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs (MFSL), DG, London (later), Philips (later), Sony Walkman Collection, Windham Hill, or Nakamichi and similar may be/usually are desirable. I'm sure you don't want to list what you have, but you would do a lot better culling out the more likely desirable candidates. The Nakamichi ones often go for $25 each, and MFSL even more. I have over 800 pre-recorded tapes and I normally get for under $0.50 from thrift store donations, so unless they are special (anything Nakamichi or MFSL) or an artist I'm looking for, I'm personally not looking to buy, but some here starting out, might, especially if local. Where are you located and give us some kind of ideas?

Last edited by perry; 04-09-2011 at 09:44 PM.
Old 04-09-2011, 11:09 PM
New To Tapeheads

Thanks for the replies! Well I'm in KS, USA. I don't think I have anything rare so much as just hate to see them go to waste. I listen to all my music on the computer now and these tapes have just sat in storage for many years.

They are mostly rock, classic rock, metal, hair bands, oldies, blues, with a small sampling of early techno, a little rap/dance and a couple classical, disco, country and soundtracks. I have strange tastes I guess, lol.

There are a few that are chrome, but I'm not familiar with the other types you mentioned. I may have to dig through them a little more. It wasn't my intention to sell them here. I did see you guys had a trading post or something though. However, if someone is looking for something in particular, I would look and see if I have it.

Thanks again
Old 04-10-2011, 09:56 AM
Serious Tapehead

I agree with what Perry said and have a similar attitude. I haven't paid over $.50 for any pre-recorded cassette since I got back into tape.

Some sound fantastic... some just OK.. some junk. The chromes are noticeably better than the cheap, thin, type-I in most pre-recorded tapes IMO.

If you want to sell them, I'd package a bunch of similar titles into smaller lots 25-50 tapes and throw them on ebay if I were you. It would seem some people just want to have a collection and don't want to do the work of putting it all together piece by piece. So it's worth it (ie they will pay a bit more) to have a nice starting point... which you can provide someone. For example bundle up those early techno cassettes into one lot, or for example let's say you have the complete def-leppard collection.... bundle that up into a lot. This sort of auction is also more desirable to someone looking for tapes because the shipping price starts to make more sense this way and really cuts down over what it would cost to purchase them all individually. I honestly think you have a chance of doing better than $.50 a tape if you do it this way. People on ebay bid on weirder things for even stranger reasons.
Old 04-10-2011, 03:54 PM
Serious Tapehead

So are we talking pre recorded tapes or recorded by you?
Cheers!
Old 04-12-2011, 05:06 AM
Aiwa

Spin tractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave47 View Post
is there a market for recorded tapes?
One day I bought a recorded tape at flea market. And the woman who sold it asked me why. I just said I like the music, but I asked why doeas she asked me why →
She said only old people in the country bought recorded tapes because in their tractors they only have cassette players...
Old 04-12-2011, 07:47 AM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowtone
She said only old people in the country bought recorded tapes because in their tractors they only have cassette players...
I fell from my chair reading this! Tractors!!!