Tapeheads Forums

Go Back   Tapeheads Forums > Tape, Taping and Tape Machines > Cassette

Cassette All discussions pertaining to cassette decks including general usage, recording, playback, servicing tips, and blank tape.

Universal Capstan Motor

Old 02-16-2011, 12:51 AM
TapeHeads.Net Member

Recording to Tape Problems - Only One Channel Works

Hi,
I recently aquired a Pioneer CT-W910R dual well cassette deck. Playback works flawlessly and it's certainly an improvement over my previous CT-W208R.

-BUT-

It does however seem to be having some problems recording from an external source (eg CD player) - specifically, the left channel doesn't appear to be picking anything up - ie. Left Level Meter is showing no activity, when the right is. I've tried:
- Swapping RCA Cables - including plugging the input lead for the right (working) channel into the left input on the deck - still get nothing on the left
- Both decks on this particular machine record, and it's the same issue regardless of which deck I'm using

Interestingly, when I tap either the recording volume or balance, the left channel lights up - but on playback, this appears as static.

When recording from tape to tape - everything works normally.

I'm guessing that means something's wrong with the left channel input...

Any other thoughts on what the problem might be, and how complicated is the repair?

Thanks

Last edited by bwana5_2009; 02-16-2011 at 02:09 AM.
Old 02-16-2011, 03:30 AM
TapeHeads.Net Member

It sounds like the same sort of problem I had with my Pioneer CT-445 after I resurrected it, someone on this forum suggested the problem was with the input level control, sure enough some switch cleaner did the trick.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:58 PM
TapeHeads.Net Member

I agree, any switch cleaner may do the trick. I have fixed so many problems with my electronics with WD-40. I got this advice from an electronic technician.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:34 PM
TapeHeads.Net Member

I personally wouldn't advocate the use of WD40 on anything especially not on electronics. It tends to leave a residue that has a long term detrimental effect.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:32 PM
Serious Tapehead

In my experience, dirty switches are not a big problem, but usually result in an intermittent problem (sometimes works sometimes doesn't). OTOH, bad capacitors result in a permanent problem. I would check the capacitors.

I used WD-40 on some switches, so far so good.
R2R: Akai GX636, Электроника-004, Revox A77, Юпитер МК-106С, Снежеть-301, National RQ-115, Uher 4400 IC, Aidas 9M, АСТРА 110С - Cassette: Technics RS-BX646, Sony WM-D6C, Marantz PMD430, Sony WM-EX606 - VHS: Siemens FM739 (SVHS), Sharp VC-MH704, Panasonic AG-7330 (SVHS) - Radio: Latvija M, Leak Troughline Stereo, Siemens B8 - Record player: Technics SL-D20, JVC L-E5 - LD: Pioneer CLD-2850 - MD: Sony MZ-RH1 - Amp: Denon PMA-1080R, Hitachi HA-37 - Other: dbx 224, 400xg, 3bx-ds 500char limit is here
Old 02-17-2011, 12:36 AM
Serious Tapehead

For what it's worth, I cant say anything about using WD 40 in electronics but I can tell you from first hand experience it leaves a nasty residue that after six months resembles bacon grease. When I was in the antique mechanical clock repair field whenever a customer brought me a clock that had been sprayed with WD 40 they were charged an additional $18 because the movement would contaminate my cleaning solution and I'd have to change it after servicing the clock. As I said, I'm not qualified to talk about electronics but based on my experience with WD 40 and clock movements I wouldn't spray it in or on anything electrical..... or mechanical for that matter.

Last edited by Flick; 02-17-2011 at 12:39 AM.
Old 02-17-2011, 01:24 AM
Real cars look great parked...

get under the hood and inspect the linkage and rec/play switch

For the love of Mr. Matsumoto DON'T go near that with anything but canned air or a real electronics cleaner not harmful to plastics!
Old 02-17-2011, 01:37 AM
Real cars look great parked...

Bwana, if you're a US cat go see the other thread about your 208R and I'll see if I can trade for the 208 if you still have it or sell you a GOOD one for about 10 or so dollars. No sense in you hitting one mess after another.

Can you PM?
Old 02-18-2011, 03:17 AM
TapeHeads.Net Member

Hi everyone.
popped the top off the unit today - and sprayed some contact cleaner around the input level control knob, and that seems to have solved the problem. Very dusty inside the unit, so another trip to the electronics store for a can of pressurised air to clear it out.

I've PM'd you warped bezel

Thanks
Old 02-18-2011, 07:10 AM
Skywave Tape Deck Repair

Hello Folks,
I was reading the different posts and have to tell those that use WD-40 that it is nothing but kerosene and wax and that if used in electronics such as in switches the switches should gum up within a month and then require a much greater amount of a better solution to wash it out. I used it on a Police revolver before I knew it was garbage- in a period of 2 weeks the gun could not be fired at all being the mechanism was not willing to rotate or move. Good thing I checked my weapons. It also came on pretty quickly as in one or two days. Use of WD-40 is another case of the public being told to use a product without proper knowledge being had on the subject. The solution was developed for the government for the purpose of displacing water on Navy ships. Why would anyone who knows what they are doing put that in any of their good electronics? This has me stumped. GC, Rawn and many other companies have chemicals for spraying out switches the most expensive I know of is good old Caig Labs. Still the stuff is worth it if you want to NOT wreck your equipment- Leave WD-40 in the garage for the garage door rails - and I am told it is not good for that either- works good on spiders though.
On the more technical foot, I just got done working on a couple of Pioneer decks and in each case the soldering joints were the cause of the failures.
I am in the repair business if you need your decks worked on.
Have been repairing since 1974

Sam Palermo, BSEE, past Broadcast Engineer
Skywave Tape Deck Repair- Chicago area
(630)616-0932 Office/ 708-334-2260 Cell, E mail:skywavebe@sbcglobal.net
Past Teac/Tascam Lead Service Technician at Chicago Factory Service still doing repairs.
http://www.thumbtack.com/il/bensenvi...tascam-repairs
Need Tape? http://www.splicit.com/index.html, The BEST SM are from Stereomanuals.com!
Old 02-18-2011, 07:23 AM
Skywave Tape Deck Repair

Here I go again.
Pressurized air. As Cramer (Seinfeld) would say- another tremendous farce sold to the general public. This would be correct. In electronics that has a great deal of dust and contaminants in it, it is BEST to not blow the stuff around into the surrounding air and the rest of the deck as the result will be a waste of time. What should be done for those who know what they are doing, is to use a paint brush to sweep toward a running vacuum cleaner hose end- that way the contaminants are removed from the machine rather than spread throughout it. This must be used with caution around a a static sensitive unit and there are vacuums that have carbon conductive hoses for eliminating static.
Cans of air are just a way to get the public to pay 4-6 dollars for nothing but
a can of air which to me represents laziness. If you want to blow air at something use your lungs. The vacuum is better though for dust and dirt.

Sam Palermo, BSEE, past Broadcast Engineer
Skywave Tape Deck Repair- Chicago area
(630)616-0932 Office/ 708-334-2260 Cell, E mail:skywavebe@sbcglobal.net
Past Teac/Tascam Lead Service Technician at Chicago Factory Service still doing repairs.
http://www.thumbtack.com/il/bensenvi...tascam-repairs
Need Tape? http://www.splicit.com/index.html, The BEST SM are from Stereomanuals.com!