Tapeheads Forums

Go Back   Tapeheads Forums > General Audio Discussions > Receivers, Amps, and Preamps - Solid-State

Receivers, Amps, and Preamps - Solid-State The heart of every system. Discuss your amps, receivers and control amplifiers here.

Universal Capstan Motor

Old 02-10-2011, 07:06 PM
Damn I lost my mind again

Carver 6250

I am thinking of bringing this beast out of retirement for a rotation in mancave system 125 watts @8ohms here's a pic pinched from the net any one have one, heard of one, or have a Carver of same vintage? opinions?
Cheers
Dwight
Attached Images
File Type: jpg carver.jpg (4.1 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg carver 6250.jpg (6.4 KB, 10 views)
Old 02-10-2011, 09:08 PM
Serious AudioHead

I used to have a Carver "The Receiver" which was the original Carver receiver. Carver never intended to do another receiver so he thought this would be his one and only, hence the pretentious moniker. IIRC, all of the later champagne face receivers were based on the original including the MX130, MX150, and 2000. Never heard of the 6250, I wonder if Europe got different model numbers.

I never bonded with my Carver because it had intermittent problems with solder joints. When working, the sound was compressed. I think the Magnetic Field Amplifier's power management scheme can't deliver the immediate energy needed for fast rise time. Anyways, I have to say that the looks are very distinctive and classy, especially when fitted with the wood side panels.
Old 02-12-2011, 01:32 PM

Well listening is a joy. I actually have 2 of these one has a bad channel in phono section.
The only specs I have are:
Tuna section -
Tuner Sens - 13.5dBf
S/N - 67dBf Stereo
Harmonic Distortion - 0.65%
Channel Sep - at 1Khz, 53.5db
Freq Response - 30-15Khz

Amp section -
Output at clipping, 1Khz - 156, 175, 195w into 8-4-2 ohms
Dynamic output - 248, 350w into 8-4 ohms
Distortion at 125 watts - 0.045% ( really not nescesary loud at 10 oclock on volume knob)
Burly! I could put it in a nice wood case but I have my equipment in an old school stereo cabinet which keeps dust down a little so you wouldn't see the case anyway. I find little info about this unit other than what I found for specs. kind of rare I guess or not popular you choose. I don't believe there are many around and when I find one listed they demand a nice coin See better attached pic I pinched from net mine is exact same condition
Dwight
Attached Images
File Type: jpg carver pic.jpg (71.1 KB, 5 views)
Old 02-16-2011, 11:30 AM

Not much interest in Carver here? I thought there would be a few owners that like this equipment?
Dwight
Old 02-16-2011, 11:47 AM
DCC Lives On

Quote:
Originally Posted by celticguitar6666 View Post
Not much interest in Carver here? I thought there would be a few owners that like this equipment?
Dwight
I own the C-1 preamp and the M1.0t X2 amp from brand new at the PX.
Reliabilty wise excellant
Not too inpressed with the hyped up carver stuff. Yes I fell into that realm way back in the 80's gotta have the carver. NO BASS
Should have spent my money on the Pioneer/Marantz gear.
If u want it loud and proud its carver. Example 4X 1.0t's mono out running 4 Klipshorns. Impressive SPL's
If u want sound guality buy or own something else. Have not bought anything that really jazzes me.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eminence1963 View Post
I own the C-1 preamp and the M1.0t X2 amp from brand new at the PX.
Reliabilty wise excellant
Not too inpressed with the hyped up carver stuff. Yes I fell into that realm way back in the 80's gotta have the carver. NO BASS
Should have spent my money on the Pioneer/Marantz gear.
If u want it loud and proud its carver. Example 4X 1.0t's mono out running 4 Klipshorns. Impressive SPL's
If u want sound guality buy or own something else. Have not bought anything that really jazzes me.
Really No Bass? I rattle dishes upstairs with my Carver! I have HPM100's and even at low to medium volume PLENTY of clean articulate bass. I listen to Jazz calssical and rock even metal . You can hear Flea loud and clear on Chili Peppers Emerson Lake and Palmer shakes your back teeth. I can't remember what amps I went head to head with when I bought this new all those years ago but I auditioned it with a similiar set of speakers to my own at the time in the store and the Carver blew all the others amps away through those speakers. I guess it is what I found at other web sites either you like carver or you don't.
Cheers
Dwight
Old 02-16-2011, 06:42 PM
ǝɔıloԀ qǝM

I can't speaker for Carver receivers, But I have a couple of mono blocked Carver A500x amps that can drive just about any load speakers. I am very happy with the sound.

A nickel from yesterday isn't worth a half dollar today.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:04 PM

I wish i had saved the post with specs but the 6250 was suppose to be a marriage of a well respected Amp tuner and preamp in all in one package.I will ook again for post
Dwight
Old 02-16-2011, 07:14 PM
Serious AudioHead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Web Police View Post
I can't speaker for Carver receivers, But I have a couple of mono blocked Carver A500x amps that can drive just about any load speakers. I am very happy with the sound.

The heck with Carvers, what Fisher CDP is that? Looks like an "esoteric" line of higher standard models ala ES, Elite, Supreme, etc. Do you have info on the other components?
Old 02-16-2011, 07:46 PM
ǝɔıloԀ qǝM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal Sam View Post
The heck with Carvers, what Fisher CDP is that? Looks like an "esoteric" line of higher standard models ala ES, Elite, Supreme, etc. Do you have info on the other components?
Yep it is a Fisher AD-Z1 Compact Disc player from the late 1980's. They made a Receiver RS-Z1, Cassette Deck CR-Z1, 5 Cd Changer DAC-Z1, Single CD AD-Z1 and EQ EQ-Z1. They all have the wood side panels. I have only seen one complete set for sale in the last 15 years or so. You occasionally see the receivers on ebay, bu the rest of the components seem to be fairly rare.

It was made to compete with Pioneer Reference/Elite Series and Sony ES gear.

This is the second single CDP I have owned. I made the mistake of selling the first one but found this one in excellent shape with box manual and remote. It has both optical and coaxial as well as analog outputs.

I will take some better pictures when I get a chance.

A nickel from yesterday isn't worth a half dollar today.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:50 PM
DCC Lives On

Question

Quote:
Really No Bass? I rattle dishes upstairs with my Carver!

I have HPM100's and even at low to medium volume PLENTY of clean articulate bass. I listen to Jazz classical and rock even metal . You can hear Flea loud and clear on Chili Peppers Emerson Lake and Palmer shakes your back teeth. I can't remember what amps I went head to head with when I bought this new all those years ago but I auditioned it with a similar set of speakers to my own at the time in the store and the Carver blew all the others amps away through those speakers. I guess it is what I found at other web sites either you like carver or you don't.
Cheers
Dwight
Not that kind of bass
The articulate kind of bass, the kind that gets u grooving
Even when ur just sitting in ur easy chair
I dont listen to loud music anymore, like I used too.
Its not that I dislike carver, just that there are better amps out there, that get the music just right to my ears. My
Old 02-16-2011, 10:51 PM
Serious AudioHead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Web Police View Post
Yep it is a Fisher AD-Z1 Compact Disc player from the late 1980's. They made a Receiver RS-Z1, Cassette Deck CR-Z1, 5 Cd Changer DAC-Z1, Single CD AD-Z1 and EQ EQ-Z1. They all have the wood side panels. I have only seen one complete set for sale in the last 15 years or so. You occasionally see the receivers on ebay, bu the rest of the components seem to be fairly rare.

It was made to compete with Pioneer Reference/Elite Series and Sony ES gear.

This is the second single CDP I have owned. I made the mistake of selling the first one but found this one in excellent shape with box manual and remote. It has both optical and coaxial as well as analog outputs.

I will take some better pictures when I get a chance.
I've never run across any of these pieces and I have only read vague references to the Z1 receiver. It sure looks like the CDP is based on a Sony ES.
Old 02-17-2011, 01:13 AM
dealer

Well at 32 years old my little Phase Linear 700B could jam with the best of my amps. At low volume and high. It has gone bye-bye for a bit to receive some TLC. My PL 3300 II pre went bye-bye too. It won't be coming back. A PL 4000 will be coming back in its place. Not enough hookups on the 3300. Before anyone says any thing about Flame Linear. It is being taken care of. I do like Carver products. @ 350 WPC mine scares me. If I want mellow I just turn it one click on the pre.. If I want loud I go up 4 clicks. It is still crystal clear. Of course we still have a rule in the Mellette house. Junk in you get junk out. That being said some components do sound better with the amp. The Hafler pre sounded good; but the PL pre sounded better. So I am using some nice components to go into the pre. Some Carver and some not. I do have a Carver tuner I really like. If I ever get the money I may try some Carver speakers. I doubt it though. I have owned some farmed out Carver CDPs. That were totally junk. I was not impressed. I don't do receivers well of any kind. It is just my preference not to own them. You do have to give the man credit. He does think out of the box.

Now before I get flamed on this statement. This is my opinion. You can't just say it is all one components fault. Yes amps sound different and there are a lot of amps I don't like because of the sound. So I do try not to say blanket statements about other peoples things. I do like Bob Carver's way of thinking.

Larry
Bellari Phono Amp
MMF-2.2 le TT
Akai GX-265D r2r
Epos 12.2 speakers
Epos M-16s
Onkyo Cassette deck
Nakamichi LX3 Cassette deck
Old 02-17-2011, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eminence1963 View Post
Not that kind of bass
The articulate kind of bass, the kind that gets u grooving
Even when ur just sitting in ur easy chair
I dont listen to loud music anymore, like I used too.
Its not that I dislike carver, just that there are better amps out there, that get the music just right to my ears. My
Like I said if you read the my previous plenty of clean articulate bass you can hear the the fingers on the strings smooth especially on the Jazz recordings.
I guess no one likes Carver Sniff oh well to each there own. I t sounds good to these old ears and that's what counts and I'll have to find a forum that likes Carver
Dwight
Old 02-17-2011, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakerman1 View Post
Well at 32 years old my little Phase Linear 700B could jam with the best of my amps. At low volume and high. It has gone bye-bye for a bit to receive some TLC. My PL 3300 II pre went bye-bye too. It won't be coming back. A PL 4000 will be coming back in its place. Not enough hookups on the 3300. Before anyone says any thing about Flame Linear. It is being taken care of. I do like Carver products. @ 350 WPC mine scares me. If I want mellow I just turn it one click on the pre.. If I want loud I go up 4 clicks. It is still crystal clear. Of course we still have a rule in the Mellette house. Junk in you get junk out. That being said some components do sound better with the amp. The Hafler pre sounded good; but the PL pre sounded better. So I am using some nice components to go into the pre. Some Carver and some not. I do have a Carver tuner I really like. If I ever get the money I may try some Carver speakers. I doubt it though. I have owned some farmed out Carver CDPs. That were totally junk. I was not impressed. I don't do receivers well of any kind. It is just my preference not to own them. You do have to give the man credit. He does think out of the box.

Now before I get flamed on this statement. This is my opinion. You can't just say it is all one components fault. Yes amps sound different and there are a lot of amps I don't like because of the sound. So I do try not to say blanket statements about other peoples things. I do like Bob Carver's way of thinking.

Larry
Thank for the nice post in support of Bob I really do like my 6250 It has very good sound and it sounded better that the stuff I auditioned side by side when I bought it which was I am pretty sure the other brands mentioned here. I also love my HK Sherwood pioneer etc but I always go back to the Carver in my system. Oh yes while Sunfire is still in there's word that Carver name will come back with Bob at the helm again
Music Rules!
Dwight
Old 02-17-2011, 05:30 AM
Serious AudioHead

Quote:

Larry
Carver is definitely controversial and there is no doubting the man's technical ability and showmanship. I do have to question whether his innovative angle on the market is correct. Rather than go with proven designs, Carver was different for the sake of being different and not because the design was intrinsically better. Much of the time, it was not. For example, the Magnetic Field Amplifier is simply a power management scheme that allows the fitting of a smaller transformer. Models like the 1.0t (350 wpc) and the 2000 receiver (200 wpc) do have plenty of power but are suspiciously light compared to conventional amps of similar power. At the edges, the lack of metal means that the power potential needed for fast rise time just isn't there. That means the amp is constantly re-charging to keep up and as a result, difficult music transients sound compressed. I could go on about the Flamer 400's, the impossible to find half size fuses in the 400 and 700, the comical and flimsy build of the 4000 preamp, the dreadful DTL CDP's that were basically entry level CDP's that Carver added a filter with a fancy name. Innovative, yes. Successful designs, no.

Last edited by Socal Sam; 02-17-2011 at 05:39 AM.
Old 02-17-2011, 05:51 AM
dealer

Quote:
Thank for the nice post in support of Bob I really do like my 6250 It has very good sound and it sounded better that the stuff I auditioned side by side when I bought it which was I am pretty sure the other brands mentioned here. I also love my HK Sherwood pioneer etc but I always go back to the Carver in my system. Oh yes while Sunfire is still in there's word that Carver name will come back with Bob at the helm again
Music Rules!
Dwight
Bob is kinda old. He still builds some tube amps and auctions them on Ebay. I sent you a PM. Every once in awhile there is a shop in WA. who works on Carvers and Bob will go over and sign some. I haven't heard he is bringing back the Carver name. I just sent my PL out to be modded. The caps were a little old and I found some Black Gates. I miss it. I'm having the lighting mod done and the DC voltage mod done. Along with PS caps and other caps through out the unit. Will be installing an IEC plug and upgraded RCA sockets. I have been told it will be pushing more than the 350 watts when completed.

Sam

What you are describing is the technology being used in the T-amps and the X-amps. They can produce some very high watts with a small transformer. With very little heat. I am suppose to get some X-amp mono-blocs to try. I think they are rated a 150 watts into 8 ohms and are very small.

Larry
Bellari Phono Amp
MMF-2.2 le TT
Akai GX-265D r2r
Epos 12.2 speakers
Epos M-16s
Onkyo Cassette deck
Nakamichi LX3 Cassette deck
Old 02-17-2011, 07:24 AM
Serious AudioHead

Quote:
Bob is kinda old. He still builds some tube amps and auctions them on Ebay. I sent you a PM. Every once in awhile there is a shop in WA. who works on Carvers and Bob will go over and sign some...

Quote:
Sam

What you are describing is the technology being used in the T-amps and the X-amps. They can produce some very high watts with a small transformer. With very little heat. I am suppose to get some X-amp mono-blocs to try. I think they are rated a 150 watts into 8 ohms and are very small.

Larry
The only advantage is the small size. I still have the same reservations.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:52 AM
Highly Biased

That Carver receiver has more parts than any other receiver. IIRC it has a backup battery on board that leaks. 6250 was a 1988 model rated at 125 per channel. It had full sonic holography built in.