Tapeheads Forums

Go Back   Tapeheads Forums > Service, Restorations, DIY Help, Manuals and Ads > Help and Do It Yourself

Help and Do It Yourself Got a technical problem or question? Have a special technique you'd like to share? This is the place.

Universal Capstan Motor

Old 02-06-2011, 10:02 AM
TapeHeads.Net Member

A-4010 GSL not recording/erasing

I know that in the 4010 SL, theres a switch that is activated from the pinch roller mechanism that was faulty on a lot of machines and that adjustment of this switch in relation to the mechanical part that engages the PR solved some people's problems. The switch in the 4010 SL isbelow the left side reel.

There is no such switch in the GSL version.

I am guessing that the switch is activated by a mecahnical piece that can be accessed from the REAR of the deck.

Am I on the right track here?

Can somebody confirm this and walk me through how to adjust to enable the machine to properly record/erase?

My LEFT record light comes on, but no the right one. It's more than a failure of the bulb to work. The record and erase functions are not working .

Thanks
Old 02-06-2011, 10:45 AM
Skywave Tape Deck Repair

Hi Oxy,
From what I can see from the schematics I have, the two push switches for the record enable activate two different relays that light up the lamps and turn on the Bias oscillator as well as provide erase voltage to the erase heads. I have a Blue print schematic from a Teac book. The relays are K101 and K201. These should be looked at to see if they are energizing or if they are if they are making good contact inside. They look to be a 4 pole relay for each channel. I have worked on A4010's but have not seen one in the past 12 years- I get all the newer stuff here.
There are also two 1000uFd caps in the switch circuit that could be part of the problem. Large old caps like that are a problem waiting to happen- I would change them with new. C308 and C309.
If you need me to scan and send Pdf files of the schematics I have it can be done by contacting me at skywavebe@comcast.net .
I also repair these things if you happen to be in the Midwest/ Chicago area.

Sam Palermo, BSEE, past Broadcast Engineer
Skywave Tape Deck Repair- Chicago area
(630)616-0932 Office/ 708-334-2260 Cell, E mail:skywavebe@sbcglobal.net
Past Teac/Tascam Lead Service Technician at Chicago Factory Service still doing repairs.
http://www.thumbtack.com/il/bensenvi...tascam-repairs
Need Tape? http://www.splicit.com/index.html, The BEST SM are from Stereomanuals.com!
Old 02-06-2011, 11:30 AM
TapeHeads.Net Member

Thanks for the swift reply, Sam.
I will take your post and try and run down my problem from what you have told me.
I appreciate the help.