Tapeheads Forums

Go Back   Tapeheads Forums > General Audio Discussions > Speakers and Headphones

Speakers and Headphones What turns electrons into something you can hear? Speakers and cans, man! This is the place to talk about your tranducers.

Universal Capstan Motor

Old 01-19-2011, 09:48 PM
Serious Tapehead

Allied Nova 8-B RS Tandy

Hi all,

Today, I found a pair of these classic Tandy (Radio Shack) speakers. They date back to the mid to late 70's. These speakers had been sitting for sometime in the back room of "Pearl's", a local charitable organization, which sells donated used items to help financially support the Squamish Women's centre. I had passed by these speakers a few times over the past month, but it wasn't until I researched on the internet about the Nova 8-B speakers, that I discovered enough information to convince me they were well worth having. The marked down price was $4 each. They were in good condition, and it took vacuuming, a mild washing with diluted Murphy Oil Soap, then a rub down with Old English lemon oil, to make them presentable.

This picture was taken as I got them home, and before cleaning them.

I connected the speakers up today, and enjoyed playing back an excellent mix tape I just received from Daren (Dazen1). I, even, used the simulated quadraphonic setting on the Sansui QR-4500 to add an extra dimension to Daren's recording. Thanks for the mix tape! I'll be following up on his beaut in another thread.

Nando.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:50 PM
TapeHeads.Net Member

Those are pretty cool, I am a bit of a fan of items from the shack . Those in particular are interesting because it appears , any way, that the three tweeters are doubled up to do mid range duties ?

I also see your system has produced a equalizer !

Rat

Kenwood KR-8840 Receiver
Teac C-3RX cassette deck
Realistic 31-202A EQ
Realistic TR-3000 RtR
Sansui SP-X9000 speakers
JVC KD-V220 Cassette ( On the bench )

Rattling the neighbors windows for this cheap , PRICELESS
Old 01-20-2011, 12:55 AM
No Grinches!

Looks similar to the old trick Panasonic used for Thrusters.

Two 16 ohm full-range 5" in series, I think to create 8 ohms with a 7 inch passive radiator in their case. It does wonders at lower wattages.

Either one is a tweeter and the others are paired for mids and power or all three are together.

The cast iron frame should br 10" I would gather? Likely the same one in early Optimus models.

By the time RS is just RS the latticed models and most others would have the same 7 ohm 8" number 2046?

Leads me to want to know just WHEN Tandy Leather Co. BOUGHT Radio Shack? I've never seen such nomenclature before with Allied, RS and Tandy listed together! I thought it was later, toward the mid 1970s when they bought Radio Shack and after the merger was broken up by the FTC.

At least that is what I understood?

Mid to late 70s RS products used metal labels with screening and the merger was gone before 1975, lone gone.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:56 AM
TapeHeads.Net Member

1963 according to this link

http://www.radioshackcorporation.com/history.html

Kenwood KR-8840 Receiver
Teac C-3RX cassette deck
Realistic 31-202A EQ
Realistic TR-3000 RtR
Sansui SP-X9000 speakers

Old 01-20-2011, 09:20 AM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratdude View Post
Those are pretty cool, I am a bit of a fan of items from the shack . Those in particular are interesting because it appears , any way, that the three tweeters are doubled up to do mid range duties ?

I also see your system has produced a equalizer !

Rat
Hi Rat,

I didn't think to ask: is your username a reference to rat, as in ratshack? I believe, the tweeter, although it looks similar to the other two drivers, below it, may be different. Warped Bezel has the right idea: the two midranges are wired in parallel for an 8-ohm impedance. That's only from what I learned of others who know this speaker.

The Sansui SE-9 equalizer was added for a little razzle-dazzle, and to help with sonics. Check here for the eq pictures: http://www.tapeheads.net/showpost.ph...5&postcount=22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warped Bezel View Post
Looks similar to the old trick Panasonic used for Thrusters.

Two 16 ohm full-range 5" in series, I think to create 8 ohms with a 7 inch passive radiator in their case. It does wonders at lower wattages.

Either one is a tweeter and the others are paired for mids and power or all three are together.

The cast iron frame should br 10" I would gather? Likely the same one in early Optimus models.

By the time RS is just RS the latticed models and most others would have the same 7 ohm 8" number 2046?

Leads me to want to know just WHEN Tandy Leather Co. BOUGHT Radio Shack? I've never seen such nomenclature before with Allied, RS and Tandy listed together! I thought it was later, toward the mid 1970s when they bought Radio Shack and after the merger was broken up by the FTC.

At least that is what I understood?

Mid to late 70s RS products used metal labels with screening and the merger was gone before 1975, lone gone.
Steven,

These speakers (Nova-8B) were introduced in 1976. The Nova-8 premiered the year before. They came with a Lifetime Guarantee, provided you kept your original purchase receipt. The woofers are 12" and, unusually, fasten to the inside face of the speaker baffle, whereas, the other three drivers are flush-mounted. It's difficult to find meaningful specs, because the 1976 Radio Shack catalog rates them from 20-20,000 Hz. Even their description comments," ...bass firm and solid down to 20 Hz." After some more listening time I'll let you know more about how they perform.

Check page 47 of the 1976 Radio Shack catalog:

http://www.radioshackcatalogs.com/catalogs/1976_small/

Nando.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:40 AM
Serious Tapehead

Talking

"I connected the speakers up today, and enjoyed playing back an excellent mix tape I just received from Daren (Dazen1). I, even, used the simulated quadraphonic setting on the Sansui QR-4500 to add an extra dimension to Daren's recording. Thanks for the mix tape! I'll be following up on his beaut in another thread."

I thought that this tape may blow up your system!! Be very careful... Dazen1 warned you too.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:48 AM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naknut View Post
"I connected the speakers up today, and enjoyed playing back an excellent mix tape I just received from Daren (Dazen1). I, even, used the simulated quadraphonic setting on the Sansui QR-4500 to add an extra dimension to Daren's recording. Thanks for the mix tape! I'll be following up on his beaut in another thread."

I thought that this tape may blow up your system!! Be very careful... Dazen1 warned you too.
H Larry,

I've replayed this tape twice downstairs, and once on the ultra-retro Sansui quad system. His selections provided a twist: I think I can safely guess, by the title of the tape, where he was taking me with this one.

Nando
Old 01-20-2011, 10:23 AM
TapeHeads.Net Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite-ist View Post
Hi Rat,

I didn't think to ask: is your username a reference to rat, as in ratshack?

Nando.
Actually it's because when I was young I found most of my " treasures " rooting through trash , and junk piles , like a rat ( money was not a option back then).

And today , while I can ( and have ) buy newer , nicer stuff , I am just hooked on the rescue , and bringing back stuff that is "junk".

I don't have too many " showpiece " items in my gear , but they all got a good story to tell.

My fascination with Radio Shack gear is simple, I grew up in the country , farmers didn't buy too much high end audio gear. But we had the Radio Shack catalog to sit and lust after all the cool stuff in there ! And now that I am older, I realize that a lot of that gear was pretty decent stuff ( and made by some big names ) .

I really dig that EQ , nice piece . never seen one like that before .

Kenwood KR-8840 Receiver
Teac C-3RX cassette deck
Realistic 31-202A EQ
Realistic TR-3000 RtR
Sansui SP-X9000 speakers

Old 01-20-2011, 11:05 AM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratdude View Post
Actually it's because when I was young I found most of my " treasures " rooting through trash , and junk piles , like a rat ( money was not a option back then).

And today , while I can ( and have ) buy newer , nicer stuff , I am just hooked on the rescue , and bringing back stuff that is "junk".

I don't have too many " showpiece " items in my gear , but they all got a good story to tell.

My fascination with Radio Shack gear is simple, I grew up in the country , farmers didn't buy too much high end audio gear. But we had the Radio Shack catalog to sit and lust after all the cool stuff in there ! And now that I am older, I realize that a lot of that gear was pretty decent stuff ( and made by some big names ) .

I really dig that EQ , nice piece . never seen one like that before .
Hi Rat,

Thanks for the explanation on your username. I can appreciate the thrill in being able to bring a piece of electronics "back to life." Fortunately, most of my finds work OK or with minimal repair. I, usually, do a powered test at the second-hand stores, before buying. There are, still, lots of vintage components being donated to local thrift stores, and the like. Just before this pair of speakers, I found an old Garrard Synchro-Lab 72B record changer. I, just, wanted a player which could play 78s. Blame celticguitar6666 for getting me all enthused about 78s. Found one 78 LP to go with it, too!

Radio Shack made many great, affordable speakers. I have the better model# Mach Ones, Optimus 50s and those little Minimus 7s.

There might be three, or so, members I know, who own Sansui SE-8 or 9 equalizers. A nice addition to any old system.

Nando.