Tapeheads Forums

Go Back   Tapeheads Forums > General Audio Discussions > Specialties by Manufacturer > Aiwa

Universal Capstan Motor

Old 12-20-2010, 02:13 PM
New To Tapeheads

ADF-410 Died Yesterday

Hi everyone,

I've stumbled across this forum by accident, but it's great to see that so many people are out there enjoying their tape decks!

So yesterday I thought I'd play a couple of cassettes, which is a fairly rare occurrence these days I must admit, and my old ADF-410 stopped working. I haven't used it in a few months, but I was suprised when it just stopped. Basically when pressing any of the buttons there is faint noise of a motor trying to do something but nothing actually happens, and the door is locked shut - luckily there is no cassette inside anymore.

What would you think that I should do - should I attempt to get it fixed, or fix it myself? It was a Christmas present probably 18 years ago I would think now so there is some sentimental value attached to it, or should I just get another 2nd hand one. I still have an ADF-450 that I can use, but I always felt that the '410 was the better machine.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

-Gordon
Old 12-20-2010, 02:30 PM
Skywave Tape Deck Repair

Hi Gordon,
From what you say, this sounds like a cam operated transport. All you might need is a small cam belt to get her going again. These are really cheap in comparison. Open it up and turn on the power and see where the noise is coming from- it can't hurt to look around.

Sam Palermo, BSEE, past Broadcast Engineer
Skywave Tape Deck Repair- Chicago area
(630)616-0932 Office/ 708-334-2260 Cell, E mail:skywavebe@sbcglobal.net
Past Teac/Tascam Lead Service Technician at Chicago Factory Service still doing repairs.
http://www.thumbtack.com/il/bensenvi...tascam-repairs
Need Tape? http://www.splicit.com/index.html, The BEST SM are from Stereomanuals.com!
Old 12-21-2010, 12:28 AM
New To Tapeheads

Hi,

Thanks for the advice, I'll open it up later and have a look. I'll let you know the score.

Thanks again.

-Gordon
Old 01-03-2011, 04:48 AM
New To Tapeheads

Hi,

Well I finally got around to opening the deck up to have a look at what might have gone wrong, and there is nothing obviously broken.

I removed the transport mechanism, and that then allowed the main door to be open and closed normally, but once I put the transport back in again, it was the same problem in that nothing would work and the door was locked shut. What seems to have happened (this is my opinion, and I am somewhat inexperienced in these things, so apologies if this is wrong!) is that the transport mechanism seems to 'think' that there is a tape inserted because the heads are in the raised position, and the black tab that then prevents the door from being opened when a tape is inserted is in the 'out' position. I can manually push the mechanism so that the heads drop to the lowered position, and the black tab is retracted, but it immediately springs back up again.

Have any of you come across this at all before? Is there a relatively easy fix for this or should I give up and buy a replacement from ebay or something?!! I'd be sad to have to retire this deck, but I'm open to suggestions!

Thanks in advance for your comments, and all the best for the new year!

Thanks,

-Gordon
Old 01-03-2011, 05:24 AM
Skywave Tape Deck Repair

Hi Gordon,
I did not know what I was looking at so I downloaded a service manual to see what was in the unit. The unit makes use of two solenoids but they are not the large ones as in the Teac model. They seem to trigger levers that then move a cam that gets you to your destination. This is not a high end unit like I was thinking in some of the models I have worked on. This unit seems to belong to the low end market meaning it made use of a cam that was driven off one of the flywheels from the capstan motor. These nylon type cam gears get rounded off pieces that cause then not to activate anymore. While it is possible to get them to work again by lubrication and adjusting springs and things like that- it is not a long term fix. If you work on it long enough with the transport out of the deck and at first operate it with no power turning the flywheel by hand, then after some corrections are made then power it. It usually takes a lot of time and mechanical analysis to get these to work again as I have done it but was it worth it? Maybe not. It is all up to you.
The correct way to fix it was to install a new cam gear- there may be an alignment needed as well. From the SM that I downloaded this is what I see on it. The fact is that all levels of decks get stuck doors with tapes inside them but they are caused by different things- yours a cam-flywheel type other just a belt.

Sam Palermo, BSEE, past Broadcast Engineer
Skywave Tape Deck Repair- Chicago area
(630)616-0932 Office/ 708-334-2260 Cell, E mail:skywavebe@sbcglobal.net
Past Teac/Tascam Lead Service Technician at Chicago Factory Service still doing repairs.
http://www.thumbtack.com/il/bensenvi...tascam-repairs
Need Tape? http://www.splicit.com/index.html, The BEST SM are from Stereomanuals.com!
Old 01-03-2011, 06:01 AM
New To Tapeheads

Hi Sam,

Thanks for the reply, I think that you've helped to convince me that it's not really worth spending too much time on getting this going again, when there are plenty of budget decks available 2nd hand these days for not much money.

The ADF-410 was indeed a low-end deck, when it came out most other decks that had HX pro were double the cost, but in the early 90's this one was available for 99! It won loads of awards from various magazines for being the best budget deck at the time too.

Anyway, thanks again for all your help and comments.

-Gordon
Old 02-17-2011, 10:39 AM
Serious Tapehead

Not being the eco-friendly type, it would probably be cheaper to find another deck cheaper than a set of replacement belts (it was built as a throw-away device much like our AD-F450's).

Kelv
Old 04-07-2014, 05:56 PM
TapeHeads Newbie

Hi, I'm Loz from the UK. And a New member. I know this was some time back, But did you fix the Problem in the end......loz
Old 04-07-2014, 09:34 PM
Yeah? Well, MINE goes to 11!

I don't believe that Gordon is with us any more.

I RESTORE VINTAGE AUDIO AND VIDEO GEAR. Master technician for Pioneer, Sony, Marantz, Concept. Endorsed by Richard Schram for Concept product restoration. Worked for Yamaha and JVC as a factory tech. Sonics consultant for Denon. Pacific Stereo "crazy-expert" salesman. I would stand on my hands to sell a hifi while simultaneously explaining how eight-to-fourteen modulation works. Pacific service manager, Central Service lead tech, liquidator at our demise. Infinity IRS dealer. Authorized servicer for virtually every brand on the planet at one time or another. Music addict. Mastering & recording engineer, weaned on a Neve (no other console sounds like a Neve!). Industry-respected ears. Head Tapehead.

Need vintage audio & video repair and restoration, or unobtanium semiconductors and parts? Ask me! And do visit the website: pacificstereo.net
Old 04-08-2014, 03:41 AM
TapeHeads Newbie

What a shame, As I had exatly the same problem.
Old 04-08-2014, 04:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loz50m View Post
What a shame, As I had exatly the same problem.
Then it's probably best to start a new thread, preferably in the Cassettes section (that gets more attention than this one).