Tapeheads Forums

Go Back   Tapeheads Forums > Tape, Taping and Tape Machines > Reel To Reel

Reel To Reel All discussions pertaining to reel to reel decks including general usage, recording, playback, servicing tips and blank tape.

Universal Capstan Motor

Old 11-18-2010, 04:35 PM
Tapehead Padawan

One of the Coolest Machines I've seen!

These Nagra machines just amaze me! Check this out: http://cgi.ebay.com/Nagra IV-STC Reel-2-Reel

I am a total newbie to r2r, what's the deal with these things?
Old 11-18-2010, 04:45 PM
Proud Jaguar Owner

One of the best portable recorders ever made. The quality is just epic.

My friend has a III and it records as clean as his Sony APR-5003.

Since I do mobile live recording, that's basically the best unit out there. I wish I could afford one.

Technics SL-1200mk2, Ortofon OM20, Hyper-modded Audio Research SP3, Poseidon'd Dynaco MkIII's (or a Yamaha PC-5002M), Klipsch Chorus II's
The Deck Collection: Ampex AG-440B (x2), Ampex AG-351, MCI JH-110C, Teac A-3340S, Tascam 34B, 48, 122B, DA-38, 3M 1/2" 4tk M64, Technics RS-1500, Tandberg 62x, Teac 3300S, Otari MX-5050, and more!
Old 11-18-2010, 11:59 PM
Serious Tapehead

Nagra is a legend in the recording industry, the quality & performance of there machines are second to none..

A visit ti Nagra: http://www.6moons.com/industryfeatur...urnagra/1.html

http://www.6moons.com/industryfeatures/nagra300b/1.html

http://www.bm.rs/Nagra/A%20Visit%20t...%20no%2026.pdf

enjoy
Old 11-19-2010, 03:37 AM
Tonkopf

thanks for the links steve, great read.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:17 AM
Tapehead Padawan

Thanks for the shortcuts. Amazing company! I could put roots down and work for a company like that the rest of my life! I am curious, these Nagra tapedecks always seem to be priced in the several thousand range, what did they or do they cost new?
Old 11-19-2010, 07:40 AM
Proud Jaguar Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hisboyelroy View Post
Thanks for the shortcuts. Amazing company! I could put roots down and work for a company like that the rest of my life! I am curious, these Nagra tapedecks always seem to be priced in the several thousand range, what did they or do they cost new?
They've always been that expensive....if not more. Not sure what the original MSRP was, but they are worth every penny.

Technics SL-1200mk2, Ortofon OM20, Hyper-modded Audio Research SP3, Poseidon'd Dynaco MkIII's (or a Yamaha PC-5002M), Klipsch Chorus II's
The Deck Collection: Ampex AG-440B (x2), Ampex AG-351, MCI JH-110C, Teac A-3340S, Tascam 34B, 48, 122B, DA-38, 3M 1/2" 4tk M64, Technics RS-1500, Tandberg 62x, Teac 3300S, Otari MX-5050, and more!
Old 11-19-2010, 08:13 AM
Tapehead Padawan

In my final year of college, I did a architectural project based on the "Aesthetics of the Machine". It was a Vintage Motorcycle Garage and Showroom sited in an old "warehouse district" in our city. A premise for my design thesis was based on the observation that in designing very highly functioning machines the end result will intrinsically delight our visual senses as well as engage other senses in its functions (like fine motorcycles do). This Nagra tape deck is the epitome of that to me. Obviously designed and built to perform to the highest standard but in so doing, the result delights and fascinates aesthetically as well! The excellence and quality is visually tangible even though I have never seen or used one in person.
Teac X-1000R Reel to Reel
Technics 1210M5g w/ KAB External Power Supply
Boston Acoustics VR40 speakers
Old 11-19-2010, 09:06 AM
Tapehead Padawan

This one sold real fast, an even more compact model: Nagra SN
Teac X-1000R Reel to Reel
Technics 1210M5g w/ KAB External Power Supply
Boston Acoustics VR40 speakers
Old 11-19-2010, 03:06 PM
Serious Tapehead

Thumbs up

I agree there is something special about Nagra equipment. There is one Tapehead member that I know of with some Nagra stuff (Beechwood I think). He's quite proud of it and rightly so IMHO.
Old 11-19-2010, 03:21 PM
FeCr Type III

It's no wonder Hollywood used these recorders for recording dialogue for movies. They have since gone to Nagra digital recorders, but still use them today.
Old 11-19-2010, 04:29 PM
Serious Tapehead

The small Nagras are amazing. They are damn near machined out of a single piece of billet aluminum.

I have worked on a few T-Audio decks. INSANE tape handling.
But not so much fun to service. It IS a surgical instrument for tapes, though. Just wicked awesome machines.

Marc
Old 11-19-2010, 05:07 PM
Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_pan View Post
Nagra is a legend in the recording industry, the quality & performance of there machines are second to none..

A visit ti Nagra: http://www.6moons.com/industryfeatur...urnagra/1.html

http://www.6moons.com/industryfeatures/nagra300b/1.html

http://www.bm.rs/Nagra/A%20Visit%20t...%20no%2026.pdf

enjoy
Those are quite informative sites.
I can't believe they allowed that much access to their facility.
A truly amazing company.
An acquaintance had one of their recorders and said it made the Marantz's look like toys.
Their company philosophy and work ethic remind me of McIntosh.
Old 11-20-2010, 02:37 AM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rat44 View Post
Those are quite informative sites.
I can't believe they allowed that much access to their facility.
A truly amazing company.
An acquaintance had one of their recorders and said it made the Marantz's look like toys.
Their company philosophy and work ethic remind me of McIntosh.

When you mention work ethic there are a couple more audio manufacture's that are also based in Switzerland that pay lots of attention on their work surroundings.

Like Soulution : http://www.6moons.com/industryfeatur...ulution/1.html

Goldmund : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXZEEouAqWo

And one of my favorites FM ACOUSTCS : http://www.fmacoustics.com/index.html
and here what it says on their site of their Production Room:

To guarantee efficient, disturbance-free environment, it is vital to keep the production room clean and quiet. Working conditions exert a major influence on the quality standards attained. FM ACOUSTICS is located in calm surroundings in a non-industrial area directly on the shores of Lake Zurich. The well-being of our staff is of high importance: Maintaining positive relations, keeping a constant motivation to achieve the absolute best and assuring a comfortable work atmosphere are ingredients to creating the non-plus-ultra.
To guarantee optimal quality standards, there is absolutely no time pressure in the production, selection and test/calibration departments. Each craftsman/woman works at a pace in which he/she feels comfortable. There is no time limit in manufacturing or in testing. Humans have their stronger and weaker days so to exert pressure on weaker days would lead to errors. What counts at FM ACOUSTICS is only the quality standard, not what some just call "productivity". This is the basis for the unequalled standard of our products.
Freedom from time pressure also enhances employee long-term loyalty to the company and increases individual motivation and well being of the staff. Most of the staff has been with FM ACOUSTICS for more than 10 years, some for 30 years.
Old 11-20-2010, 08:20 AM
Magnetic Tape Person

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naknut View Post
I agree there is something special about Nagra equipment. There is one Tapehead member that I know of with some Nagra stuff (Beechwood I think). He's quite proud of it and rightly so IMHO.
Well remembered Naknut I love my Nagra -- and it really is a joy to behold in terms of it's engineering; both in an out.

Below is a good page on the Nagra IV... click on the image at the top of the page for some interior views. They were designed to be repairable in the back of a van

http://www.mancini99.freeserve.co.uk/Nagra_IVS.html
Pioneer RT-707 . Nagra IV-S TC . Tandberg TD-20A . Sony TC-377 . Uher 4400 Report + 4000 RM reel to reel players | Nakamichi ZX-7 + CR-7 cassette decks | Sony EL-7 Elcaset deck | Realistic TR-801 8tr cart player | Tascam DA-20 MKII . Sony TCD-D7 DAT recorders | Tascam HD-P2 CF recorder | Goldring Lenco GL-75 turntable w.Stock Arm+Shure M75ED Type 2 Cart | Quad FM3 tuner | Quad 33-303 Pre/Power Amp | Rogers JR-149 speakers | Gallery
Old 11-25-2010, 08:34 PM
TapeHeads.Net Member

I have seen adverts for that deck costing brand new 5000! thats around $10,000 seriously in the 70's-80's and another high priced decks were the levers-rich mega wage busters lol.
Old 11-25-2010, 08:45 PM
TapeHeads.Net Member

I found this interesting and towards the end of the segment you learn that Nagra was the first manufacturer to invent a pilot tone for the use in the cinema industry.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Qza-2eYieg
Old 11-29-2010, 04:37 PM
Serious Tapehead

I literally salivate when I see those pictures of the Nagras!
Darn, and I thought I was done buying tape equipment! (I just barely restrained myself from buying a Nagra about 10 years ago. I Didn't have any use for it, and still almost bought it..)
Old 12-05-2010, 05:45 PM
TapeHeads.Net Member

Well that's proof enough surely and quite common sense really to build a stable environment will ensure top performance from their staff. A great pity that here in England they don't take the same attitude no no no here they say get a move on time costs money!!! It's a prime example of the swiss that it's not quantity but quality that counts. I wish I could work there for them it is a work place that I would ensure to deliver my best abilities and be proud of my work instead of "get this the hell out the way, where's the next" attitude. As a worker in the swiss environment one would only have a positive attitude towards their work where one would want to turn up every day. I bet they don't have to worry about workers skiving off sick too often if at all.
Old 12-22-2010, 09:28 AM
Damn I lost my mind again

It's Swiss that's why!

The only high end Swiis made stuff I ever owned was watches like Movado etc. . I am talking the price tag of the decks discussed here although that was not what I payed I would find all sorts of goodies in junk shops back then which now sadly those junk shops are all gone . I was friendly with my watch guy who did the cleanings on my stuff until I was comfortable with and had the equipment to do it myself ( I use to collect watches high grade pocket to wrist watches). Every time I would walk in to his shop he would get excited because he new I had something cool for him to see after working on cheap crap all week. His eyes would light up when he opened the case. because it was swiss! the best builders of small mechanical devices I am sure the same attention to detail that was paid to watches was given to Nagra decks. I only have a few of the watches now I sold them off when my business took a down turn and I needed cash.
Dwight
Old 12-22-2010, 09:32 AM
Damn I lost my mind again

Oh yeah I forgot working conditions ; If you are not worried about the axe falling you do better work If you are not worried about kissing the bosses' a.. you do better work, If you aren't plagued by office politics you do better work. If you work in a nice safe clean worker oriented enviorment period you do better work.
Dwight