Tapeheads Forums

Go Back   Tapeheads Forums > General Audio Discussions > Receivers, Amps, and Preamps - Solid-State

Receivers, Amps, and Preamps - Solid-State The heart of every system. Discuss your amps, receivers and control amplifiers here.

Universal Capstan Motor

Old 10-19-2010, 01:37 PM
Proud Jaguar Owner

Harman Kardon Three Thirty...now I get it....

Bought a H/K Three Thirty from AK member Stereocuuple a few days ago, and just unboxed it today. Pictures cannot do this thing justice. This replaced a Sony TA-1055 that gave up the ghost a while back.

It's the centerpiece of the computer system, which looks like this:

When I hooked it up and tuned in a radio station, I was floored. I've used these Realistic Minimus-12's on just about everything I have ever owned in the past 3 or 4 years (a LOT), and this just makes the sing. Now I get it.

Technics SL-1200mk2, Ortofon OM20, Hyper-modded Audio Research SP3, Poseidon'd Dynaco MkIII's (or a Yamaha PC-5002M), Klipsch Chorus II's
The Deck Collection: Ampex AG-440B (x2), Ampex AG-351, MCI JH-110C, Teac A-3340S, Tascam 34B, 48, 122B, DA-38, 3M 1/2" 4tk M64, Technics RS-1500, Tandberg 62x, Teac 3300S, Otari MX-5050, and more!
Old 10-19-2010, 01:47 PM
Cassetticus Maximus

Welcome to the club. I have a 330c which to me sounds like what vintage should sound like. Warm, full. For a little guy it sure does sound pleasant. Less impressed with the newer 330i I picked up awhile back. It's just average.

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory ...... lasts forever....
Old 10-20-2010, 07:59 AM
Highly Biased

If the 330 transports you you have some great treats in store as you try other vintage classics. Now, try dubbing your .wav files to tape and listen to them that way.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:03 AM
Proud Jaguar Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nakdoc View Post
If the 330 transports you you have some great treats in store as you try other vintage classics. Now, try dubbing your .wav files to tape and listen to them that way.
I never saw the point of that. I prefer to listen to things as they are, rather than try to modify them. Also, the amp section sounds pretty neutral, maybe a bit of extra bass, but that works well with the Minimus-12's.

Here's some better pics:

Technics SL-1200mk2, Ortofon OM20, Hyper-modded Audio Research SP3, Poseidon'd Dynaco MkIII's (or a Yamaha PC-5002M), Klipsch Chorus II's
The Deck Collection: Ampex AG-440B (x2), Ampex AG-351, MCI JH-110C, Teac A-3340S, Tascam 34B, 48, 122B, DA-38, 3M 1/2" 4tk M64, Technics RS-1500, Tandberg 62x, Teac 3300S, Otari MX-5050, and more!
Old 10-20-2010, 03:55 PM
Real cars look great parked...

It you even get tired of it, holler at me. They are just too damned neato.

And then there is the two thirty nocturne....two dials side by side, an almost turquiose blue to the dial numbers and scale...
Old 10-20-2010, 05:47 PM
Wish I was sailing....

I have yet to hear a vintage Harmon Kardon receiver, but your thumbs up has me looking forward to the day I get the HK Seven Twenty up and running... right now it sits in the "2 doo" pile!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HK.jpg (203.3 KB, 12 views)
Old 10-21-2010, 01:20 AM
Real cars look great parked...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSteve View Post
I have yet to hear a vintage Harmon Kardon receiver, but your thumbs up has me looking forward to the day I get the HK Seven Twenty up and running... right now it sits in the "2 doo" pile!
As the former owner of a 330B, Two Thirty Nocturne and one of the famous Twin-Powered series, 930 I would urge you to "Git 'Er Done"! 60s and early 70s HK gear is a lot of fun and I wouldn't doubt that a lot of their fans are there because of finding it. It's fairly straightforward, attractive, has some quality features and sounds great. It's not any more durable than any other brand of that period, but it's all over 35 years old (are there any "minty" 35-40 year old people really)?

Besides that, wouldn't you rather swear at something other than politicians, internet wackos and traffic for a day?
Old 10-21-2010, 08:22 AM
Cassetticus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinyldavid View Post
I never saw the point of that. I prefer to listen to things as they are, rather than try to modify them.
Interestingly immature statement from a guy who does a lot of recording and DJing. Anything you do to any music "modifies" it. Move your speakers an inch to one side and the direct and reflected sounds change and you've "modified" it. Play a tape on a IEC-calibrated machine and then on a Nak machine and you've "modified" it because of the difference in the EQ curve. Use tone controls and the sound is "modified". Go listen to live music in a concert hall and the sound experienced is "modified" as the crowd moves and changes the absorption and reflection characteristics. Listen to a CD and you're listening to "modified" sound since the original live performance has been mixed, remixed, dubbed, smoothed and a 1,000 other recording tricks to make it sound better. Heck, listen to music on one amp and then a different amp and the sound is "modified" because circuit topology dictates changes in sound reproduction.

Had to laugh, that was one of the most amusing comments posted here in a long time.

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory ...... lasts forever....
Old 10-21-2010, 08:45 AM
Proud Jaguar Owner

I don't think you get my comment.....I try to find the most neutral combinations (subjectively) of gear, and then leave it. But dumping signal from digital to cassette annoys me. Modifying transient response by going to nice 2track tape is great, but putting Mp3's onto cassette.....blegh. I don't actually like the cassette format and avoid using it for anything other than airchecks and beater copies of concerts I record. I have a good deck, but still cannot stand what cassette does to the signal-its a loss of resolution akin to low res digital.

When I record, I try to get the most accurate balance of music to reflect what I hear, or want to hear, from the orchestra/band/singer. Yes, it is changing, but it is hopes of being more neutral, if that makes any sense.