Tapeheads Forums

Go Back   Tapeheads Forums > Tape, Taping and Tape Machines > Reel To Reel

Reel To Reel All discussions pertaining to reel to reel decks including general usage, recording, playback, servicing tips and blank tape.

Universal Capstan Motor

Old 10-05-2010, 10:16 PM
young Tapehead

Cobalt Heads on Pioneer RT1011L?

I have a Pioneer RT1011L in Near New condition with under 10hours on it's entire life. i was wondering if it was possible to put Cobalt heads on it to audiophile it a bit. i wil be changing the wood side pannels to 1 1/2" solid Oak Panels. let me know. Thanks.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:54 PM
TapeHeads.Net Member

I owned a 1011L for years. My question to you is why? You should be able to find heads or a junk deck on e-bay for that machine.
Old 10-06-2010, 02:25 AM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin31972 View Post
I owned a 1011L for years. My question to you is why? You should be able to find heads or a junk deck on e-bay for that machine.
Cobalt heads are supposed to make sounds smoother and warmer.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:26 AM
Yeah? Well, MINE goes to 11!

Unless you know:

1) All operating parameters and characteristics of the heads you want to install

and unless you want to:

2) Analyze the record and playback electronics circuits and calculate time constants, peaking and impedance matching elements

3) Change and/or add associated components to match the existing circuits to the new heads

4) Perform a complete tape path alignment

and unless you are prepared to:

5) Measure performance with real test equipment and tweak, tweak, tweak until it is correct

I would leave the deck ALONE.

I RESTORE VINTAGE AUDIO AND VIDEO GEAR. Master technician for Pioneer, Sony, Marantz, Concept. Endorsed by Richard Schram for Concept product restoration. Worked for both Yamaha and JVC. Sonics consultant for Denon. Pacific service manager, Central Service lead tech, liquidator at our demise. Infinity IRS dealer. Authorized servicer for virtually every brand on the planet at one time or another. Music addict. Mastering & recording engineer, weaned on a Neve (no other console sounds like a Neve!). Industry-respected ears. Head Tapehead.

Need vintage audio & video repair and restoration, or unobtanium semiconductors and parts? Ask me! And do visit the website: pacificstereo.net
Old 10-06-2010, 08:27 AM
Proud Jaguar Owner

'audiophiling' ANYTHING up is a stupid idea. If it works and sounds good, leave it well enough alone!!!!

Technics SL-1200mk2, Ortofon OM20, Hyper-modded Audio Research SP3, Poseidon'd Dynaco MkIII's (or a Yamaha PC-5002M), Klipsch Chorus II's
The Deck Collection: Ampex AG-440B (x2), Ampex AG-351, MCI JH-110C, Teac A-3340S, Tascam 34B, 48, 122B, DA-38, 3M 1/2" 4tk M64, Technics RS-1500, Tandberg 62x, Teac 3300S, Otari MX-5050, and more!
Old 10-06-2010, 09:24 AM
Serious Tapehead

Hi Guys!
Having been authourised service for Teac/Tascam in Montreal for many years, I know the Cobalt-Amorphous heads very well. In fact I've installed them on Akai 4000, Revox(I've got pictures of that machine somewhere-if I find I'll post it) Otari 5050 and even an Ampex ATR 100 that had metal heads that wore out(the original ATR 100 had Ferrite heads).
For me the biggest obstacle to overcome is the mounting of the heads because every manufacturer has a completly different mounting plate. I can tell you that ever since the Teac X2000 came out I never put an original head on any Teac/Tascam whose heads had to be replaced-always the C-A heads. All Teac(and most Tascam) Machines have identical head mounts.
It is interesting to note that in a Studer news letter there was an article extolling the virtues of the Amorphous head. Besides the harder metal, inermodulation distortion was shown to be lower.
All the best,
Leon(The Audiomayvin(Montreal(514)739-5403)
Old 10-06-2010, 05:31 PM
Jammis Archivivist

Under 10 hours? Are you nuts? Find a cheap machine with worn heads to experiment with.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:44 PM
young Tapehead

I have oficialy decided to leave it alone. iw ill experiment with my Realistic TR-3000. The pioneer Sounds good enough as it is.
Old 10-08-2010, 09:03 PM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiomayvin View Post
Hi Guys!
Having been authourised service for Teac/Tascam in Montreal for many years, I know the Cobalt-Amorphous heads very well. In fact I've installed them on Akai 4000, Revox(I've got pictures of that machine somewhere-if I find I'll post it) Otari 5050 and even an Ampex ATR 100 that had metal heads that wore out(the original ATR 100 had Ferrite heads).
For me the biggest obstacle to overcome is the mounting of the heads because every manufacturer has a completly different mounting plate. I can tell you that ever since the Teac X2000 came out I never put an original head on any Teac/Tascam whose heads had to be replaced-always the C-A heads. All Teac(and most Tascam) Machines have identical head mounts.
It is interesting to note that in a Studer news letter there was an article extolling the virtues of the Amorphous head. Besides the harder metal, inermodulation distortion was shown to be lower.
All the best,
Leon(The Audiomayvin(Montreal(514)739-5403)
I recently asked a company in Japan if the cobalt heads from the Teac X2000 will work on a Teac A2300S. The response I got was the play head will but the record will not. I am quite confused by this??????
Old 10-11-2010, 12:11 PM
Serious Tapehead

Hi!
The record electronics must be modified to accomodate the C-A heads. The bias level is much lower with the C-A heads and the record E-Q must be modified. This is probably what was meant in that the C-A record cannot be used-without modification.
I would like to point out, that I've been installing C-A heads in cassette decks. The vast majority of 2 head decks(not auto-reverse) have the same head mount. As well as the record and bias ccts. have to be modified, usually the "resonating" capacitor at the i/p to the the p/b cct. must be changed.
All the best,
Leon(The Audiomayvin, Montreal(514)739-5403)