Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums
High quality analog audio tape for professionals and enthusiasts alike.

Go Back   Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums > Tape, Taping and Tape Machines > Professional Formats

Professional Formats Large-format tape, solid-state recorders and advanced recording techniques.

Donate to Tapeheads!

Old 09-11-2017, 06:20 AM
Aiwa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandflyer View Post
1. The only way to hear pure music is to go to a concert played on acoustic instruments without amplification (in a good venue, but let's say that's optional). These days, this happens rarely.
In my town there are free acoustic classical concerts each week. I even performed guitar on this stage.

Quote:
Just one more thing - if disk space or hardware specs are not a problem, I would probably record everything at maximum available resolution (just like I always prefer to take photographs at maximum camera quality).
True, and today it's not a problem anymore. 24 bits and 96kHz on a 1 or 2 TB hard drive can be done easily. And things are cheaper than they were before.

Quote:
This way you can always downsample, but upsampling would be making something out of nothing.
It would only increase the size of the file, without gaining quality.
I can be interesting only if you want to mix a lower sample rate file into a project that involve higher sample rate.
( Like mixing SD 4:3 video in an HD 16:9 project, like they do with archives )
Old 09-11-2017, 06:27 AM
Dream tape never ends

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowtone View Post
True, and today it's not a problem anymore. 24 bits and 96kHz on a 1 or 2 TB hard drive can be done easily. And things are cheaper than they were before.
You seem to forget Man's (and Woman's) infinite greed and tempation to get more out of what they already have...

If, without compression you can fit n hours of music on a medium, and offer them the ability to (with no perceptible quality loss) store over 4n that amount (just making the comparison between uncompressed CD Audio at 1.4 Mbps and MP3 or AAC at 384kbps CBR) without buying any extra hardware...how many would say "no thanks"?

For digital video, compression was considered a necessity since the get-go: even today, chomping through disk space at a rate of more than 0.5 GB/minute (and that's still at SDTV resolution!) is NOT considered acceptable, and today nearly nobody would argue that there's any advantage in storing several hours of uncompressed digital video on a multi-TB hard drive, even if it's technically possible. Not even production studios use raw uncompressed video, as even the professional uncompressed digital tape formats all employed at least chroma subsampling (e.g. 4:2:1).

Last edited by Velktron; 09-11-2017 at 06:44 AM.
Old 09-11-2017, 06:36 AM
TapeHeads.Net Member

Quote:
In my town there are free acoustic classical concerts each week. I even performed guitar on this stage.
I didn't say there are none. But even classical guitar performers often use little amplifiers to project their sound. I'm not happy then, but what can you do?

Quote:
It would only increase the size of the file, without gaining quality.)
Um, if you downsample you decrease file size. Upsampling has been discussed by Velktron above. I agree with him, but I was assuming that you are recording something that will actually benefit from the higher resolution.
Old 09-11-2017, 07:53 AM
Aiwa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velktron View Post
You seem to forget Man's (and Woman's) infinite greed and tempation to get more out of what they already have...

If, without compression you can fit n hours of music on a medium, and offer them the ability to (with no perceptible quality loss) store over 4n that amount (just making the comparison between uncompressed CD Audio at 1.4 Mbps and MP3 or AAC at 384kbps CBR) without buying any extra hardware...how many would say "no thanks"?
Sure, but i was only talking about uncompressed audio for music production.
Of course average costumer will use compression to get more in quantity at the expense of quality.
But lossy digital audio is not my thing. A file like this would be likely ending into garbage bin. Delete.

Quote:
I didn't say there are none. But even classical guitar performers often use little amplifiers to project their sound. I'm not happy then, but what can you do?
It depend of the venue and the acoustic. But we were doing this the old way. Only nylon strings, and if you need stronger sound, then pull stronger ( and ruin your finger tips ). But all in all this nice, and people with other instruments too.

Quote:
Um, if you downsample you decrease file size. Upsampling has been discussed by Velktron above. I agree with him, but I was assuming that you are recording something that will actually benefit from the higher resolution.
If you record multitrack audio to make a song, with proper production, then it's more interesting to have high definition during the production phase. And keep everything in 32 bits floating point, until the end of mastering process.
Then you can do and high rez master, a standard CD master, vinyl master, and even lossy files, according to your needs.
Old 09-12-2017, 03:22 AM
Dream tape never ends

In any case, to answer the thread's question...it might be the way to go if you plan on working with material that's already at that sampling rate or multiples thereof. The 24-bit depth does give an edge during editing, but the 48 kHz sampling rate is "odious" to convert back to the CD's sampling rate.
Old 09-18-2017, 06:28 PM
Tech with analog brain v1.0

Just another few bits of info: Upsampling is only something that *needs* to be done during mixing when importing a track into a DAW where the other tracks are at a higher sampling rate. It's not ideal - and usually (particularly in distance collaborations) the musician can be asked kindly to re-track his/her performance to the correct tracking spec. That solves the technical problem - but the preformance may not be as good, but then again, it may be better. Changing sample rates upwards are to be avoided as this causes many kinds of anomalies in the conversion process. Same thing with bit depth: For example a 16 bit resolution file will still be at 16 bit resolution even if converted to 24 bits. All that is gained is the addition of 8 truncated bits to make up the 24 bits. The audio resolution stays the same. Downsampling is less of a problem - as is reducing bit depth from, say 32 bit float to 16bit. Digital is brilliant - but you still can't get out more than you put in. With analog you actually can: Old 50's and 60's 15ips studio tape recordings can be played back with higher resolution due to the smaller playback head gap on 'modern' designed heads.
Old 09-20-2017, 08:34 AM
Aiwa

I agree with everything but the last line. Nothing important can be recovered. The "resolution" of the analog signal is limited by the recording head.
It's like digitizing, say VHS, at 720 pixels per line, the resolution will always be 240, like it was recorded.
Old 09-20-2017, 08:57 AM
Serious Tapehead

Actually not really - the recording head has an influence upon the recording, but different, as the recording takes place at the edge (so for establishing eg a bandwidth the gap size is not important).

The real difference between decks is at the playback. It pays to have a better player, and this goes even with VHS

Would you like to see your company or site here?  CONTACT US
For more Tapeheads affiliates and links, see the Links and Resources page.